Unconscious Bias - Federal Judge & ACLU Atty Instruct Jurors

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
In the aftermath of the Philando Castille travesty, I thought I'd share this.

The linked video, published by the Federal District Court of Seattle and produced with the assistance of the Marshall Project for jurors chosen for Western Washington District Federal Court cases, features highly respected Judge Coughenour and frequent-ACLU attorney Jeffrey Robinson explaining unconscious bias. I think it's well worth the 11 minutes to watch it, even if you're sure you already know what implicit bias looks and feels like. I'm proud our local Federal Court is using this video to educate jurors. I hope it spreads to other jurisdictions.

Unconscious Bias - YouTube

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I went in to the vid a bit skeptical, because so many people in the public these days (and even some researchers) get unconscious bias really wrong (probably because a huge arm of the research is likely totally wrong) and, ironically, have a lot of biases about it, but it's actually a really good video.

They also give the Stroop Test in the middle of the vid, which doesn't actually test unconscious bias (it tests prepotent responses and impulse control), but it still helped them make their point effectively. I always fail it because I'm color-blind, so I kind of laughed when I saw it because I knew I was gonna get it wrong.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting that. I'm gonna save that link and use it in my social psych class.

Last edited: