Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, everyone.

M, loved your words. Camaraderie is a wonderful thing.

LadyV, I know your work is quite demanding on you, so good luck. I hope this season goes well for you.

Glad the thread feels like family, NB. It's always been my home while on AW. Lots of people have come and gone from this thread since I joined but the feeling of friendship and family has remained.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, CONGRATS on 7K, Ladyv! That's awesome!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Lil. I think it's important to have a place to hang your hat here, that feels like home.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Lil. I think it's important to have a place to hang your hat here, that feels like home.

This place is so huge and has so many different aspects. I found it very intimidating and disorienting for a long time. So, when I found this thread, it made everything else fall into some kind of place. I have a home base I can then move out from.

Lil, I'm like a toddler, and you and everyone else are like my mom. Do you remember that stage from when your kids were little ones?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Good morning, reppers!

I can't believe I missed the Pittsburghese discussion! I'm a native! For the record, I don't say crick or yinz. But I definitely do the pronunciation thing. I don't say "Southside." I say "Souside." We tend to drop the "th" here.

Hey look, I reached 7000 posts and then some! Also, I go back to work on Monday.

Gosh darn, dang it! I missed it too.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It feels...free, NaBra. Very free.

Glad you have that feeling. Hope it lasts for you.

My divorce was a big bag of mixed feelings. So glad I wasn't responsible for his BS anymore (I've often said that I had three kids, but divorced the eldest), sad and angry because I failed in something my parents never did, pissed off that I'd put up with his BS for as long as I had, and kinda scared about facing the world as a real single parent. It all worked out somehow--don't ask, I've no clue how--but my baby just turned 30 yesterday and everyone's seems to be hanging in so it turned out OK. Hope you do better in the years to come.

Y'know, we could have another discussion about Pittsburgh. There's plenty to talk about. LOL! ;)

Didn't get the cat boxes done yesterday, but we did get the new home for them finished. Such an exciting life.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you have that feeling. Hope it lasts for you.

My divorce was a big bag of mixed feelings. So glad I wasn't responsible for his BS anymore (I've often said that I had three kids, but divorced the eldest), sad and angry because I failed in something my parents never did, pissed off that I'd put up with his BS for as long as I had, and kinda scared about facing the world as a real single parent. It all worked out somehow--don't ask, I've no clue how--but my baby just turned 30 yesterday and everyone's seems to be hanging in so it turned out OK. Hope you do better in the years to come.

Yeah, that's a good description too. Very good description. As far as doing better, ummm, what's wrong with right now? Yeah! I'm doing better right now.

Y'know, we could have another discussion about Pittsburgh. There's plenty to talk about. LOL! ;)

You can say that again...:tongue

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Like the Stillers am I right?

Ouch, no! That reminds me of 'ostension of reality'. :scared:

Yep, it's for that same project and chapter.

Why will the cat not stop pestering me this afternoon. Dinner is not until 6 or 6:30, for God's sake.

ETA: Yep, Lil, not so enthused about doing things together anymore. "No, dad, why?" usually said jokingly.

NaBra, what does ETA mean? And please tell me that I did not just ask you that on Monday.

Also, would it be completely inappropriate to post a draft of a poem for comment, before I even looked at it a second time and did any work on it?

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: and :e2grouphu I agree it's much easier to venture forth boldly if you have a good stable base to venture out from.

MRF - ETA means edited to add. :)

So, I got the first draft of the scary story done yesterday - and gave it to #1 to read... he didn't think it was very scary and he also thought the ending was a little contrived. :( So I guess I got some editing to do.

Also, generally, in SYW, they expect you will have made what you're posting as good as you can on your own before posting - but I'm pretty sure people have posted their first draft of things before.

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I now I've been reading Foucault, and I got to the part I was dreading, which made me cry. So I'm going to share my poem with you--a wee bit edited, but not much:

I am living in dread
of reading Foucault.
I dread it so much that
I decided to write a poem
about all the things I would rather do
than read Foucault.
I would rather
scritch that old black dog behind the ears than read Foucault.
But when I realized
I would rather take a bath than read Foucault
I knew it was time
to break out the big guns.
I would
have to sit mindfully
with my dread.
Where is the dread in my body?
What does the dread
feel like?
And then,
of course,
slowly the dread drained away.
What was left was the buzz of
a late-afternoon espresso
and wondering
if there was any mail today
And knowing that maybe reading Foucault wasn't so bad after all.

But it was.

Comments from the real poets, of course, are more than welcome (Beanie and--well, you know who you are...)

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I really like that, M.

Good morning, Jay. Sorry your first draft didn't go as well as you'd hoped but now you get to edit it into something amazing!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As it's said, Good writing is in the rewriting.

I've always thought of the first draft like a potter who has to make the clay before anything else can be done. Only once to you have the clay--the first draft--can you actually sculpt it into the final piece. But I'm weird that way.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I like it M. It has an unusual pacing - starts slow and then suddenly you're walking much faster til you get to the espresso line and the poem becomes more reflective and dare I say almost :e2seesaw:. You know the word I'm looking for. I like how the halo dude is just as maniacal as the evil dude.

And Jay got it right about ETA. Though I always remembered it as Edit Then Add, which is probably wrong. Just a holdover from another forum, whenever I've come back and edited after I've originally posted.

Hello, Del. I think I tend write flash very much like that. Just get the ink on the page and then start moving words around.

Last edited: