Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just dropping in to say hello. I hope you are all well.

Lil!!!! Oh! Tackle hug!

I've been thinking about you. How are you doing? Any better?

ETA: You're wearing the same shoes, so many not feeling so much better... :(

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I am eating

Well, waddya know. I just happen to have one of those too.
hhrhox4.gif

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I was referring to. Have you ever listened to all the music that occurs naturally in the world? It is quite a miracle.
Reminds me of Glenn Gould. He would record conversations at a diner and listen to the music and cadences of the voices. He was a genius, but was also probably on 10 or 11 different pills at any one time ... so who knows how much of that was real genius, and how much of that was edging into madness.

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of Glenn Gould. He would record conversations at a diner and listen to the music and cadences of the voices. He was a genius, but was also probably on 10 or 11 different pills at any one time ... so who knows how much of that was real genius, and how much of that was edging into madness.

I worry about that NaBra, I do worry about that...

- - - Updated - - -

I worry about that NaBra, I do worry about that...

ETA: How very odd...

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
... the edging into madness? ... Have you ever read Stephen King's Pet Semetary? The mc has that moment - where he can feel himself slipping into oblivion. Honestly that book scared me more than any other. I just imagined how easy it would be to topple my house of cards.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
... the edging into madness? ... Have you ever read Stephen King's Pet Semetary? The mc has that moment - where he can feel himself slipping into oblivion. Honestly that book scared me more than any other. I just imagined how easy it would be to topple my house of cards.

I can't read Stephen King. He is so good; it gets too scary for me and then it sticks in my head, like, forever.

Last winter there was something wrong with my car that caused it to rattle in a particular way. I also have tinnitus, which my ENT assures me is part of the aging process--I don't believe him. At any rate, if you have that ringing in your ears and you hear white noise, or I guess any kind of consistent noise, your brain will look for a pattern in the sound. Once it finds a pattern it gloms onto it and makes "sense" out of it. So, I'd get in the car and before too long, it would start singing to me. Not necessarily a voice with words, but it would make music. A symphony. Violins or a whole string section. Vocal music, but without any words.

What would drive me craziest is that I could often put my own musical themes together with whatever the car was doing. However, once the car stopped, I could not recapture the sounds. It wasn't like if you come up with a story line, you can pull over to the side of the road and jot some notes. Nope. Once the car stopped, the music was gone.

My kids told me I was hallucinating. But these are not hallucinations, and there is actually a name for the phenomenon. Of course, I've forgotten it...

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. That's interesting - I'd not heard of that phenomenon. For Glenn, he kept stretching the definition of music. Just a brief look at the Cage site and also your description reminded me of how regular sounds (car horns, coffee percolating, conversations) can be interpreted as music. A looser interpretation of music - not sure if I completely agree, but still ...

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. That's interesting - I'd not heard of that phenomenon. For Glenn, he kept stretching the definition of music. Just a brief look at the Cage site and also your description reminded me of how regular sounds (car horns, coffee percolating, conversations) can be interpreted as music. A looser interpretation of music - not sure if I completely agree, but still ...
Are you familiar with Death Can for Cutie? They have a song on Codes and Keys that speaks to this for me: Stay Young, Go Dancing.

- - - Updated - - -

Night all.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
What a beautiful noise
Comin' up from the street
Got a beautiful sound
It's got a beautiful beat

It's a beautiful noise
Goin' on everywhere
Like the clickety-clack
Of a train on a track
It's got a rhythm to spare

so you dance MRF,

my sd vided me in NZ dancing to a busker

and posted it off to...

old people doing stuff ouch!

still if you don't dance you ain't no friend of mine

night

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Doing ok. Gotta finish up work for the night, but should be done soon. How's life treating you?

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
What a beautiful noise
Comin' up from the street
Got a beautiful sound
It's got a beautiful beat

It's a beautiful noise
Goin' on everywhere
Like the clickety-clack
Of a train on a track
It's got a rhythm to spare

so you dance MRF,

my sd vided me in NZ dancing to a busker

and posted it off to...

old people doing stuff ouch!

still if you don't dance you ain't no friend of mine

night

I went to sleep early last night--10 PM--but woke up at 11:30 PM to this and what follows. Made me grin, and I rolled over and went right back to sleep.

When I woke up this morning, this, among other things, happened:

Awakened

By the memory

Of snowplows in the parking lot across the street

Moaning like unhappy elephants

I find

You guys virtually

Dancing

To the sounds of the street

And go back to sleep

Knowing

All’s right with the world

Have a great morning or night everyone! :hi:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice, M. "Moaning like unhappy elephants" is excellent. And morning. :hi:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice, M. "Moaning like unhappy elephants" is excellent. And morning. :hi:

I really should have recorded the sounds they were making. They are actually not snowplows. They are these big heavy machines that are more often seen moving dirt around at constructions sites.

I'm having the worst time engaging with stuff this morning. First of all, I'm having trouble staying awake. Second, I don't want to do all this business development stuff. I just want to work. And therein lies a paradox. I'm having one of those Doonesbury moments where I want some power to pick me up and put me in better circumstances. Although, I'm well aware that not all authors are as nice to their MCs as Gary Trudeau was to Mike Doonesbury.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I think I just made a big mistake...

I received the following email from an acquaintance:

"Read your posting today about ghost writing, editing, and acknowledgements. I immediately thought of a few email threads between us, largely concerning Hemingway and FFF. I now have two books out: Not a Bad Ride and Coffee, Steak, and Eggs. See the link below.

I can only assume you've not had the chance or inclination to read either book. Or, failing that, you hated them both and were kind enough not to write a slam on Amazon. What the heck, maybe you should. I can certainly take few bad reviews. That only lends verisimilitude. Anyway, I was thinking I should have included you in the Acknowledgements of the second book because you made some comments, and I may have incorporated a few of them."

In response, I sent him a brief synopsis of the last 5 years of my life, which I'd bet anything came across like a punch in the nose. I ought not to go around punching people, even if I am in a sleepy and grouchy mood.

Sigh.

ETA: Darn. I really think I screwed up seriously.

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Lil and Southie.

M, you should borrow BF's smiley. :box: We could all use a good pummeling.

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, he/she deserves it. That's just rude. If their goal was to get you to read their stuff, they failed.

I think I just made a big mistake...

I received the following email from an acquaintance:

"Read your posting today about ghost writing, editing, and acknowledgements. I immediately thought of a few email threads between us, largely concerning Hemingway and FFF. I now have two books out: Not a Bad Ride and Coffee, Steak, and Eggs. See the link below.

I can only assume you've not had the chance or inclination to read either book. Or, failing that, you hated them both and were kind enough not to write a slam on Amazon. What the heck, maybe you should. I can certainly take few bad reviews. That only lends verisimilitude. Anyway, I was thinking I should have included you in the Acknowledgements of the second book because you made some comments, and I may have incorporated a few of them."

In response, I sent him a brief synopsis of the last 5 years of my life, which I'd bet anything came across like a punch in the nose. I ought not to go around punching people, even if I am in a sleepy and grouchy mood.

Sigh.

ETA: Darn. I really think I screwed up seriously.

ETA: I mean really..woe is me?

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Southie. Obviously this person is shaming you. Hell we've all been there. Life intrudes and some stuff just falls through the cracks. So many better ways to communicate - other than shaming. Hey, you never got back to me ... just checking to see if everything's ok. I dunno. Something like that.

Last edited: