Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that means you have to get a US tax number so they don't slug you with withholding tax. Australia has the same deal.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the option of doing micro-publishing or self-publishing nowadays. Getting published by the Big 5 isn't necessarily as wonderful as it was when I started submitting (1980's). I've heard a lot of bad reports from various pro-writer friends about how their contracts are changing. Many of them have opted for the micro/self-publishing route now. They have their readership, after all.

We are living in interesting publishing times, my friends.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard varying stories. I considered self-publishing once upon a time. It's not the route I'd like to take, but I can certainly see why people do it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big point is to always read and understand a contract BEFORE you sign it. Many times, things will be put in a contract just to see if they can get you to sign it. If you request points that go too far to be removed, they're as likely to do it as not. It really is "Writer Beware".

Once upon a time, I submitted to an agent who wanted to rep my work and sent me a contract with several things I didn't agree with. Things like they get a cut from ANYTHING I sell for the remainder of my career, regardless if they sell it or not. I don't remember the other things, but that was the biggie. I called to request she remove that clause and she started screaming at me. I requested she send me my submission back and told her I wasn't going to sign it. She got vulgar with me. i had to get a lawyer friend to send her a letter to get my ms back. Yeah. And to think, if I'd've signed that contract, I'd still be screwed.

I did sign an agent contract when I finished my first novel. I knew the person personally and didn't think a friend would screw me over. She did. Not only did she reserve the right to rewrite anything she didn't like about my work before she submitted it anywhere, she locked me into an exclusive five year contract--if she didn't represent it, I couldn't seek other representation or submit it myself. That was a big learning experience.

AFAIK, both of these agents are out of business (and the first one is dead, actually--I kept tabs). Be careful.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to bed now too. But I wanted to pop in and see what you all were thinking about this evening.

Last year at Grub Street's Muse and the Marketplace, most aspiring authors I spoke with were legitimately complaining about how much publishers want authors to do to promote their books and how little the publishers actually do to promote the books. It still makes me wonder what the benefit of going with a publishing company is. My experience with the book I ghostwrote is that the publishing company did very little to promote and market the book. They also priced it really wrong. Consequently, the book didn't sell as much as I thought it should. We could have hired a publicist, but that's a lot of out-of-pocket money.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Think i'm the only one on at moment Mrf, but i can wish you sweet dreams,:)

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hmm, let's see. I went for a three hour lunch at one of my favourite cafes for a 70th birthday (delicious food, good company). Came home, briefly fell asleep (I'll assume food coma, coz I'd had three coffees by that point). Woke up and forced myself to go for a run, even though I just felt like plonking on the couch. Made some yum omelettes for dinner, then watched some tennis.

Now, I'm here. :)

How're you feeling today?

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun day!

I’m doing great. I mean, it’s 8 am on a Sunday morning, I’d rather be sleeping, but yeah, I’m feeling well. Got some writing done yesterday, which always puts me in a good mood.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Laundry, writing, doing as little as possible. :roll:

Back to work tomorrow, eh? Things slowed down yet?

That sounds like a wonderful Sunday (laundry notwithstanding!).

I'm hoping to be quieter from this week. Also, Friday's a public holiday (Australia Day) and the boss-man's decided to shut the store until Tuesday since we didn't get a break over Xmas/New Year. So ...YAY! That's something to look forward to. :D

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Yep! Knowing there's a four-day weekend coming up makes the lead-up more palatable, even if it's busy. :)

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
My kids only went to two days of school last week because of snow. I know they loved the time off but it was basically a throw-away week for me. Now that they have a full week ahead, they're unhappy but I'm relieved. Maybe I can finally get some serious writing done*.

*blames the kids, even though it's not their fault in the least

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Eh, you should always blame the kids for everything.

*blames Lil's kids for climate change*

And on that note, I'm off to bed. :) Have a great day! :hi: