Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. We believe you.
gY4WMYs.gif

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

n'at = and that
Djeetyet = did you eat yet
crick = creek

Dude, that's not slang, that's just lazy talking. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, M. Hi, Jay! :hi:

Okay, you guys are so awesome and supportive but I was totally kidding about the rope/restraint/knots thing. I have no personal experience with that kind of stuff.

Even if I did, I'd deny it. :roll:

Sure. We believe you.
gY4WMYs.gif

I believe you, Lil!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Like 'ang on and 'aveago. :tongue

And why do they call a blanket roll 'matilda'?

Actually I agree - pennsyltuckian slang is more like mush mouth than anything else.

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't use 'ang on or 'aveago.

Buggered if I know about the blanket roll.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of mush mouth in American English. We're notorious for it. I think it's the only language you can speak without moving your mouth at all.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, guys. I'm heading to bed. Nice to see you all, if only for a moment.

Have a nice day/night/evening/afternoon/whatever. :kiss:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Too true, Lil. Some just use a lot of head signals and mumbling.

Night, Lil.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

n'at = and that
Djeetyet = did you eat yet
crick = creek

I have to protest the statement that a crick is a creek. It isn't. A crick is a run of water that's smaller than a creek. They're not the same thing at all. Some people will call a crick a rivulet, but it's a crick. Just saying.

Dude, that's not slang, that's just lazy talking. LOL

Unless you're in Pittsburgh, then it's just talking. It's not "West Liberty", it's Weslibbery". It's not Mount Lebanon, it's "Mt. Lebinin". It's not Steelers, it's Stillers. It's not "downtown", it's "dahntahn." It's not "you guys" or "y'all" or any other plural "you", it's yinz or yunz (and yunz is pronounced U-uns or Unz, depending on where you learned it). Pittsburghese is an experience, and many natives are very proud of it. And, yes, I've heard all of these in the wild since I moved here.

It makes setting a story in the 'Burgh interesting for dialogue. ;)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Del. I saw that picture in the Pennsylvania slang list and assumed creek, because it sounds so much like crick.

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have to wait til Sunday to get my Pesgetthi, but am definitely looking forward. That's your fault Jay, for giving me the hankerings. And of course I know that mushrooms are a healthy food, which I will eat, when forced, so I don't mind if they add it.

I think I'll cut out early today, looks like I'm going to get normal sleep tonight.

Night, Jay.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Like 'ang on and 'aveago. :tongue

And why do they call a blanket roll 'matilda'?

Actually I agree - pennsyltuckian slang is more like mush mouth than anything else.

waltzing matilda its your swag

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
I have to protest the statement that a crick is a creek. It isn't. A crick is a run of water that's smaller than a creek. They're not the same thing at all. Some people will call a crick a rivulet, but it's a crick. Just saying.

Unless you're in Pittsburgh, then it's just talking. It's not "West Liberty", it's Weslibbery". It's not Mount Lebanon, it's "Mt. Lebinin". It's not Steelers, it's Stillers. It's not "downtown", it's "dahntahn." It's not "you guys" or "y'all" or any other plural "you", it's yinz or yunz (and yunz is pronounced U-uns or Unz, depending on where you learned it). Pittsburghese is an experience, and many natives are very proud of it. And, yes, I've heard all of these in the wild since I moved here.

so does that mean you can't be up the crick without a paddle?

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Del. I saw that picture in the Pennsylvania slang list and assumed creek, because it sounds so much like crick.

Where I'm from, I promise you, a crick is a creek. There's no difference, except in how you say it.

- - - Updated - - -

so does that mean you can't be up the crick without a paddle?

:roll:

No, but it's certainly possible on a river.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I'm pretty cool with a lot of that stuff. Some of the rap I listen to, well let's just say it's not family friendly.

So freedom, M. How does it feel?

It feels...free, NaBra. Very free.

I have been processing and processing what my marriage was and what was happening for many years. One problem that I struggled with is that my ex-husband and I never shared the same reality. One of the issues related to the depression I have is that I did not have a strong ability to maintain my understanding of reality in the face of his understanding of reality. So now, I no longer have to struggle against that force. It makes me feel light and like I am soaring, or I could.

Another thing I have been thinking about is camaraderie. The first modern video game I played--that is a video game from the 21st century)--was an MMO called Tabula Rasa. I fell in--that's the only way I can describe it--with a group of people...it's all very complicated. The short story is that through playing together, I developed a deep sense of camaraderie. We did a lot of group activities, and for the first time in my life I had this sense of "I've got your back." One friend and I took our friendship out of the game, and we tried to start a political party at the height of the Occupy Wall Street movement. And that is another long story.

I think the best marriages and families give you that feeling of camaraderie, as well as a lot of other stuff. There is a feeling of "I've got your back." Or, as Elizabeth Bonesteel's MC Elena says (this is my paraphrase, I hope), I'll be as strong as I can be so that you can be as strong as you are. I often felt this at Taekwondo. It was always missing in my marriage, and I was always searching for it without knowing what I was searching for and with feeling desperately bad about myself for having that yearning.

I have some of that sense of camaraderie here with you guys. It sustains me. Oopsie; here come the tears. :cry: I think that's why I suggested the idea of writing a story together.

This morning, I was thinking that you can team up with anyone at any time, if you pause to think about the situation, your role, what you are doing, and what you have to offer.

So, I feel like now, I can offer that camaraderie to anyone who inspires it, in any situation that requires it. That I have the energy and the capacity to team up with people and let the feeling fill me up.

M.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score

Well, we talked like that in Steubenville, OH, too. Just sayin. I love spending time with my cousin who grew up in Pittsburgh because she still talks like that, even though she has lived a good deal of her adult life in New Jersey. When I hear those words, I feel like home.

There are things here in Massachusetts that people call rivers, but to me they are clearly creeks. And there are other things that people call streams that are clearly cricks. If I look at them too much as I'm driving by, I get a crick in my neck, too. ;)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Beanie- thanks, I had forgotten about swag. Kind of luck a bundle of your belongings. I think.

Morning, Lil. That's the way I had always heard it.

It feels...free, NaBra. Very free ...

I have some of that sense of camaraderie here with you guys. It sustains me. Oopsie; here come the tears. :cry: I think that's why I suggested the idea of writing a story together.
:Hug2: Tears are cool. We definitely need them sometimes. And this thread is the first place that's felt like family in some time. There was another thread, but maybe that I was my own reality intruding on what was really going on.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Beanie- thanks, I had forgotten about swag. Kind of luck a bundle of your belongings. I think.

Morning, Lil. That's the way I had always heard it.

There is a song or a poem in here somewhere, and I do not mean Waltzing Matilda.

:Hug2: Tears are cool. We definitely need them sometimes. And this thread is the first place that's felt like family in some time. There was another thread, but maybe that I was my own reality intruding on what was really going on.

That feeling of one's own reality intruding on what was really going on--it happens to me so often. It's not a very nice feeling at all. :Hug2:Which requires hugs, I think.

Although, I can see if a person is thick skinned and has a great sense of humor, there are funny possibilities there. :e2beat:Which made me think of this little guy, but I don't know why exactly.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, reppers!

I can't believe I missed the Pittsburghese discussion! I'm a native! For the record, I don't say crick or yinz. But I definitely do the pronunciation thing. I don't say "Southside." I say "Souside." We tend to drop the "th" here.

Hey look, I reached 7000 posts and then some! Also, I go back to work on Monday.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, reppers!

I can't believe I missed the Pittsburghese discussion! I'm a native! For the record, I don't say crick or yinz. But I definitely do the pronunciation thing. I don't say "Southside." I say "Souside." We tend to drop the "th" here.

Hey look, I reached 7000 posts and then some! Also, I go back to work on Monday.

:TheWave:

I think going back to work might play either good or bad. I don't see an emoji for that...

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
It's both good and bad. I'll be happy to get a steady paycheck again, and the physicality will help me drop the few extra pounds I gained this winter. The only bad is not being able to sleep in anymore during the week.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Lady:Jump::Hail:. Someday I'll be 7,000 posts old. Tanks for the hugs, M. Can always use those.