Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
NaBra's rattlesnake must have had a run-in with you no who.
Still here ... and intrigued by 'you no who' ... During core work hours, better if I log off, and only pop in every now and then ... otherwise I'll never get any work done. This place can be very addictive - like powdered sugar on crack cocaine.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I just need to vent. I never thought I would say this about any words. But I am coming to hate the words epistemic, epistemological, and ontology.

Shouldn't words have just one sort of meaning? Like cat. Cat has pretty much one meaning. And dog. And you know what I mean when I say someone is being catty or the dog days of August or even "the dog days are over."

But epistemic and epistemological aren't even remotely in the same ballpark, other than that they both have something to do with knowledge.

:e2drown: or maybe :e2hammer:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, reppers!

It feels like early summer here today. I took advantage of the unusual and went for a walk on one of the local bike trails. Yes, I usually bike the trail, but I just wasn't feeling up to that today. Anyway, it was a very enjoyable walk. I'll definitely go back once the leaves start emerging. There looked to be evidence of some unique trees growing around there.

We have timber rattlers in PA, though they tend to stay in the mountains. We also have copperheads, which tend show up everywhere. One of my coworkers got bit by one while on a job, but it was his own fault for touching it. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

MRF - are you sure Jackson isn't secretly a spy? Also, he looks like he's flexing his muscles in your avatar. To me, anyway.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a glorious day out there, yep. Took two of the six dogs out for a nice walk, stopped at a cafe that allows pets on the patio and had a bite of lunch. Beautiful out there. Makes me look forward to this being the norm again.

I'm just outside the Laurel Highlands and I haven't heard any reports of rattlers or anything outside of the occasional black snake. Bears, yeah. Actually had one of those sitting on the corner by my house for an hour or so one spring. No snakes though. We might be too much in the traffic pattern for that. *shrug*

All cats are spies. We just don't know for whom. ;)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Bears, yeah. Actually had one of those sitting on the corner by my house for an hour or so one spring.
Sitting on the corner sounds just ... so hooman. I can kinda picture his subtle 'sup?' head gestures as people walk by.

I forgot. My moms had snow. I requested pics of snow angels, puppy angels (she promised she would train pups to make them), and a snow man. Unfortunately just enough snow to cover the ground and then immediately melt.

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good afternoon, reppers!

It feels like early summer here today. I took advantage of the unusual and went for a walk on one of the local bike trails. Yes, I usually bike the trail, but I just wasn't feeling up to that today. Anyway, it was a very enjoyable walk. I'll definitely go back once the leaves start emerging. There looked to be evidence of some unique trees growing around there.

We have timber rattlers in PA, though they tend to stay in the mountains. We also have copperheads, which tend show up everywhere. One of my coworkers got bit by one while on a job, but it was his own fault for touching it. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

MRF - are you sure Jackson isn't secretly a spy? Also, he looks like he's flexing his muscles in your avatar. To me, anyway.

Wait, what? (Don't work with him, it could be hazardous to your health!)

We have a couple kinds of rattlers out here. The mean, nasty one is the Mohave Green.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

The walk sounds really nice, V. I used to love seeing the trees bud out with new leaves.

Del - a bear that close to your house? Yikes!

MRF - my sympathies. I don't know why people figure they have to litter their document with fifty cent words.

NaBra - pics of snow are good - actual snow, not so good. :)

Southy - Where do you find the Mohave Green? And how nasty is it? Is it more deadly than your usual rattlesnake? (I wrote a story about a rattlesnake bite once already (and researched the effects) - but I'm always looking for ways to hurt my characters)

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score

I'm not sure about anything about Jackson except he has many different sides and doesn't like to go for car rides. In the avatar, he is wrapped around his scratching post. He was just about to go after it with his hind paws. So, yeah, I'd characterize that as flexing his muscles. He's going to tear that thing apart.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
MRF - my sympathies. I don't know why people figure they have to litter their document with fifty cent words.

You just reminded me that I have this video course on developmental editing of fiction that was made by a group who does editorial training. Maybe it is time to broaden my horizons, so to speak?

On the other hand, I learned about this tool called book mapping. It seems to me that using a tool like that would be necessary for editing fiction, and it would take longer to fill out the tool (so to speak) than it would take to write the book in the first place....

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Jay and Southie.

J- Exactly she gets the snow and I get the pics. Thass a fair exchange.

M- You're not the first to ask that question. This day and age we shall just call Pooh a they and be done with it.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
M- You're not the first to ask that question. This day and age we shall just call Pooh a they and be done with it.

Perfect!

And yet, another reason to be po'd at Disney.

And, I'm rude. I forgot to say good morning to J and good afternoon to everyone else. :whip:

That little emoji is whipping itself, right?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, I learned about this tool called book mapping. It seems to me that using a tool like that would be necessary for editing fiction, and it would take longer to fill out the tool (so to speak) than it would take to write the book in the first place....

That sounds like unnecessarily complicating the editing process. If you've done even a basic outline before starting to write your story, why the heck would you then need to map the story in order to edit it?

Mind you, most of my lomg stories are around 25 - 30K words, so not exactly novel length.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
J- Exactly she gets the snow and I get the pics. Thass a fair exchange.

Sounds like a perfect exchange to me.

I get pics of snow from my sister every so often. That's the best way to have snow - someone else gets to have the cold and wet of it. :)

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
:whip: That little emoji is whipping itself, right?
Definitely! And :e2photo:that is me taking a selfie, while the rest of you are seeing ... well this :e2moon:

I get pics of snow from my sister every so often. That's the best way to have snow - someone else gets to have the cold and wet of it. :)
I don't mind visiting the snow. :) And bringing an inner tube or a Paricon Snow Screamer (just liked the name).

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind visiting the snow - but Horace would kick up a stink, so that's a no-go for me.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Your question reminded me of a question that I have wondered about since 1985: Is Winnie the Pooh a female?

I think Bryan is our resident bear expert, Mrf

Last edited:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Just as an aside Mrf i always use big words when i want to be non-specific

and short ones to say what i actually mean, long words were invented for lawyers or by them ( they are pretty sneaky like that but i adumbrate )

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I think they are all male. I remember when I found out piglet was male. I was...disbelieving.

- - - Updated - - -

I was a child. I assumed a tiny little pig would be female.

- - - Updated - - -

Kanga is female, of course, but Roo is male.

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t think of any other females.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Kanga was the only female in the bunch. I always thought they were all male (aside from Kanga).

How are you, Lil?

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Jay.

I’m...tired. Otherwise I’m okay. Having a bit of an issue with Doris today. She’s been quiet mostly since the beginning of the year because I’ve been following the guidelines but I had two days of weakness and now I’m suffering. It’s an emotional rollercoaster as well as a physical one.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably be another early night for me.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Boo on Doris. :( It's a total bummer that you have one little slip-up/relaxation and you end up paying massively for it.

I hope things settle down soon for you.

I'm doing good. I'm considering whether I want to start on the story I got an idea for last night or something else.