Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Lil and anyone else that's already awake.

Damn. Sounds like fun, V.

Games are my drug of choice. I usually keep that at bay with this:
40076523115_57f21358b1.jpg

Hope ya'll have a great weekend! I'll prolly be back late Sunday or Monday.

Have a great weekend, if that's an appropriate wish!

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning, reppers.

I won't be up to much today. Later this afternoon, I have to drive the boyfriend to the car dealership to get his vehicle. Then we'll probably go to a fish fry and afterwards I'll be off to games.

Enjoy the fish fry and games!

I'm going to our musical Sabbath service tonight. Can't wait!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, reppers!

The fish fry was quite good. It's been years since I've attended one. Games meetup was a lot of fun too. I played a new game of mine called The Pursuit of Happiness. It's like The Game of Life but much more strategic. I liked it a lot.

I'm going to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert this evening. It should be a lot of fun.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon beautiful people and squirrels

headaches suck. But reading excerpts is pretty cool (Syssiphys). Managed to get my haircut (don’t recommend it when having a headache). So I think it’s gonna be a quiet evening for me.

:hi:
:e2bear:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon beautiful people and squirrels

headaches suck. But reading excerpts is pretty cool (Syssiphys). Managed to get my haircut (don’t recommend it when having a headache). So I think it’s gonna be a quiet evening for me.

:e2bear:

Sorry to hear about the headaches, Bry.

LadyV, I hope you don't laugh too hard. Don't want to break any ribs.

Hey Southie.

I'm just going to play games and my guitar. Maybe I'll read a little. I've had a rough week, and I need to process a bunch of work stuff that went very wrong.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the headaches, Bry.

LadyV, I hope you don't laugh too hard. Don't want to break any ribs.

Hey Southie.

I'm just going to play games and my guitar. Maybe I'll read a little. I've had a rough week, and I need to process a bunch of work stuff that went very wrong.

:Hug2: about works stuff that went very wrong. It sucks when that kind of thing happens. I hope that your soul soothing me time has its desired effect.

Dinner has been had. The headache is at a dull roar, and my critique partner is 2 chapters behind where I am currently editing. I need to get in gear and get some editing done. *ack* and I have to read his chapter, and another 2 betas. *sigh*. Anyone want to trade brains for a few days? In theory my high pain tolerence will come along with the brain. The two betas that I’m doing could not be more different. And both of them are totally different from my CP. And all of them are different from my WIP. So that’s really cool.

Have a great Sat / sun!

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did my best to be unproductive, but--ugh--I had to do laundry.

I hope everyone is having a nice, pain free evening (or morning) depending on location. ;)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, reppers.

The concert was okay. Weird Al mostly sang original songs I've never heard before, so I felt a bit lost. I'm only familiar with his parodies of popular songs. Also, the music was so loud, it made listening to the lyrics really difficult. What I did hear wasn't all that funny to me. It was mostly just weird and random. I guess I'm not a big enough Weird Al fan to appreciate the humor. :Shrug:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, reppers.

The concert was okay. Weird Al mostly sang original songs I've never heard before, so I felt a bit lost. I'm only familiar with his parodies of popular songs. Also, the music was so loud, it made listening to the lyrics really difficult. What I did hear wasn't all that funny to me. It was mostly just weird and random. I guess I'm not a big enough Weird Al fan to appreciate the humor. :Shrug:

Well, darn, LadyV. I was hoping you would get some of his famously funny satirical songs.

Hmm, apparently I'm have an alliteration attack. That's all I need...

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all!

I got the coolest message from someone who is beta reading. He is upset about one of the base points that my WIP is based on. He was fussing about the emotions that a particular section was evoking in him. His partner told him that it was the sign of good writing that it evoked those kinds of emotions that he cared so much about what was happening! :heart::heart:

ETA: He read a short that I wrote that was the basis for the WIP, and begged to see the WIP. So I sent it to him, with all its problems. not that it’s ready for beta (I have my next beta reader lined up for when it is polished and shiny)

My Vulcan mind meld worked! :roll:

*YAY*

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all!

I got the coolest message from someone who is beta reading. He is upset about one of the base points that my WIP is based on. He was fussing about the emotions that a particular section was evoking in him. His partner told him that it was the sign of good writing that it evoked those kinds of emotions that he cared so much about what was happening! :heart::heart:

ETA: He read a short that I wrote that was the basis for the WIP, and begged to see the WIP. So I sent it to him, with all its problems. not that it’s ready for beta (I have my next beta reader lined up for when it is polished and shiny)

My Vulcan mind meld worked! :roll:

*YAY*

This is definitely cool. You want your writing to engage with a reader, and it sure does! Can I read the short? Pretty please? Of course, the last time I asked to read someone's writing, I got slapped a wee bit...

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
So, I thought I might try to tell the work story and see what you guys thought.

This is the philosophy book project. Last Friday (not this past Friday, but the week before), I was working to meet a deadline. As usual, the author interrupted me with a request to read two passages. The first one was some text where I had asked him to add concrete examples. I was working deeply on this other chapter, and I probably would have done the same thing regardless: I forgot that he hates comments, and I commented that one of the examples seemed pretty light-hearted for the book and that he might want to tweak it a bit, and gave a suggestion. For the other passage, he didn't say where it went, and I asked. He seemed shocked that I would ask.

In response to the passage I commented on, he sent me two emails. The first was reminding me that he hated comments. The second was an email that had "No more comments" written about twenty or so times. He might have sent me a third email on the same topic. I was fairly offended, but I decided to treat it like a fart.

So, I met all my deadlines for this week's work. My ability to meet deadlines was in question. During the day, I interacted with another person he brought onto the project. That person copied both of us on an email. I had been asked not to send any more emails, and he held me responsible for the other person's email. I decided to just ignore being chastised for what someone else did.

Then, on Friday night I received an email that accused me of being unprofessional because of the way I edited a passage and the footnote that went with it. The passage was said to be a "mess" along with the footnote. I use track changes, so I did not understand why he didn't just reject the change and move on. He said that my unprofessional handling of the footnote and passage made him think he needed to hire another person to handle the bibliography.

I decided to withdraw from the project, wrote him that I thought that was the appropriate response to events as they were unfolding, and the next day (yesterday), he accepted my resignation.

But I feel wretched. I usually feel a bit down after a project ends because I miss it. But I feel pretty torn up about this. I feel like he made stuff up because he was just unhappy with my work--he doesn't like to think about queries. In fact, he called some of my comments ridiculous. Only the week before he was praising me for being smart and a star editor. The whipping around by 180 degrees doesn't feel very good either.

I know he didn't like the process. I just can't understand why he overshared about his private life until we became friends, and then instead of just saying that he thought he needed to change how he finished the project and concluded our contract, he had to force me to quit. During the week, I even told him that the kill fee was no longer in effect because we had completed 2/3 of the contract. I thought he would then feel more comfortable about canceling.

Now, of course, I need to scramble to find another project. I had been doing that anyhow in planning for the end of this one.

Anyhow, I'm feeling emotionally wrenched. Sigh. I should try harder to not feel so badly about these things because I know it is not all my fault.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Morning , everyone :hi:... Um ... woke up about 30 minutes ago after falling into a coma - figuratively speaking - and really didn't remember what day it is. Typical Con. We had a great time. As usual, I spent more time at Artist's Alley, than anywhere else. There is so much talent there, and so many are struggling to be noticed. I always try and do my part to support them.

Usually I play folk music of one kind or another. But, I've been working on learning the DCFC song "What Sarah Said," because I love the music so much. I like to play Bruce Cockburn's music, again because the music is so beautiful. I did some instrumental stuff in a style called fingerstyle. And I played some classical Segovia arranged pieces. So, I'm sort of restarting there.
I really love the guitar and blue grass. Recently starting listening to the Staves, who are a trio that are primarily accompanied by solo guitar. Definitely have a folksy feel to me.

I'm going to see Weird Al Yankovic in concert this evening. It should be a lot of fun.
I like Weird Al, though he always makes me feel like a nerd - laughing at his goofy, quirky humor.

Congrats on Vulcan Mind Meld, Bry. :)

:Hug2:So sorry, M about your recent work experience. This guy sounds like a jerk. You've probably made the right move, but I'm sure that's scary af, leaving like that.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Morning , everyone :hi:... Um ... woke up about 30 minutes ago after falling into a coma - figuratively speaking - and really didn't remember what day it is. Typical Con. We had a great time. As usual, I spent more time at Artist's Alley, than anywhere else. There is so much talent there, and so many are struggling to be noticed. I always try and do my part to support them.

You're a good egg. I always try to give something to buskers in the Boston subway when I have some extra money.

I've never been to a con. There's a thing held around here called Reader Con, and I'm going to try to go this year.

I really love the guitar and blue grass. Recently starting listening to the Staves, who are a trio that are primarily accompanied by solo guitar. Definitely have a folksy feel to me.

I'll have to check them out. A lot of alternative music has a folksy feel. I like Blind Pilot, for example.

:Hug2:So sorry, M about your recent work experience. This guy sounds like a jerk. You've probably made the right move, but I'm sure that's scary af, leaving like that.

I've been speculating that he's been doing this stuff while drunk, that he's an expert gaslighter, that he has mental health problems (say, borderline personality disorder) and is off his meds. Or he's just a jerky professor.

Usually when I work with professors, I work for the publishing company and not directly with the professor. It really helps to have a buffer. It also helps to have another professional provide some guidance or support.

I'm not too scared, other than my tendency to believe everything someone else says about me.

I have one project in hand that I'm considering, although I'm leaning towards not because of the author's approach; except when we talked, he seemed pretty open-minded. I have another project that I'm on a short-list for. And I have about five pitches for freelance work that I did last Monday-Tuesday. I'll do some more this week too. Something is bound to come through. There are a couple of staff jobs open around here, and I might be able to get one of those, but I don't want that.

Thanks for the hug.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you have things under control. I'd never heard of gaslighters, but that accurately describes a few of my employers.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, sounds normally surreal Mrf, university proffessors are more likely to be high functioning aspergers if that helps your perspective, (a little more rigid thinking, unable to handle criticism than black and white BPD)

the effect is pretty much the same but i'm sure you will be able to shut it away and move on ( think we both might have had some practice ) anyway onwards an upwards all have a good one.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, sounds normally surreal Mrf, university proffessors are more likely to be high functioning aspergers if that helps your perspective, (a little more rigid thinking, unable to handle criticism than black and white BPD)

the effect is pretty much the same but i'm sure you will be able to shut it away and move on ( think we both might have had some practice ) anyway onwards an upwards all have a good one.

Beanie, you are always like a breath of fresh air and sunlight in the stuffiness of my mind. Normally surreal makes me feel like this won't be the last experience like this that I have. I've really come to value working for a publishing company, but I need to learn to work directly with authors.

I've been learning this thing called internal family systems which looks at different voices that we all have as part of our selves. I think I should develop an executive developmental editor voice like someone who works on staff to run interference between me and the authors I work with!

- - - Updated - - -

Morning, all. :hi: Mostly awake now.

Hey, Nate, all. :hi:

I've head my nose in work all day. Finally came up for air.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I think Sissyfus haz stolen everyone - mostly -- or they're busy working.

Which is what I'm doing right now ... right then. You missed it.

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I think Sissyfus haz stolen everyone - mostly -- or they're busy working.

Which is what I'm doing right now ... right then. You missed it.

I tried to look at Sissyfus, but then I saw the word spreadsheet and when I came to, it was time to go to sleep.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, reppers!

I was wondering how this Monday would turn out, fearing it would suck, but it ended up a rather good day. It started off with a good yearly review and a raise. All my jobs went smoothly as well. Not sure about tomorrow, though. We have to come in at 6:30 for a meeting.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to look at Sissyfus, but then I saw the word spreadsheet and when I came to, it was time to go to sleep.
:roll: It actually gave me a real headache. Not even joking.

V, that Av is priceless. :ROFL: Glad today went smoothly.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Beanie, you are always like a breath of fresh air and sunlight in the stuffiness of my mind. Normally surreal makes me feel like this won't be the last experience like this that I have. I've really come to value working for a publishing company, but I need to learn to work directly with authors.

I've been learning this thing called internal family systems which looks at different voices that we all have as part of our selves. I think I should develop an executive developmental editor voice like someone who works on staff to run interference between me and the authors I work with!

- - - Updated - - -

I might have mentioned i am not a big fan of psychologists, but the internal family systems i looked at, and it bounced schema straight into my brain Mrf , you should perhaps eyeball that if you are interested,

p.s. I know of a particularly effective child persona you could use that i could fill you in on that would be just the trick for above:)

hope the easter bunny arrives early keep well

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a few therapists, but one was excellent, and definitely helped me with some difficult personal situations. My father was a marriage and family counselor, so I might be biased, but it surprises me that there's such a stigma associated with seeking a psychologist or psychiatrist for help.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a few therapists, but one was excellent, and definitely helped me with some difficult personal situations. My father was a marriage and family counselor, so I might be biased, but it surprises me that there's such a stigma associated with seeking a psychologist or psychiatrist for help.

A lot of people don't understand what psychologists do or how they work. And then there is the issue of getting a good fit or match. My ex-husband and I did couples counseling for a little while, and the psychologist did not understand me much. I think he also did not fully understand the issue in the relationship, which I still don't exactly understand. At any rate, he wasn't a good fit for me. I didn't bother trying to find another.

The first psychiatrist Hayden and I tried to find would not take Hayden as a patient because Hayden wouldn't talk to him. For some reason he did not see that Hayden couldn't talk to him because of anxiety. The second psychiatrist understood the anxiety issue, but prescribed the wrong medication. The third place was a huge clinic. They had an intake process and matched patients with therapists and psychiatrist NPs. That worked.

The moral of the story is, if you don't luck out on your first experience, it can be very difficult to find the right psychologist.

It is equally difficult to recognize that you need professional help with an issue. American culture is very strange about that.

And then there is the media attention that gets paid to psychologists and psychiatrists who violate their ethical standards.

I'm sure I can find some other reasons...:tongue