Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First day back at a job. Been unemployed since Halloween. The company that laid me off called me back. It's kinda stunning to realize how much I didn't forget.

Though it was nice--every time I turned around, there was someone else coming up to give me a hug "Welcome back!" I'll be honest, I don't remember all their names, but it's kinda wonderful to discover I'm that well thought of.

Don't know how long this job will last (it is a temp one this time), but I'm not getting my hopes up higher than the next paycheck. And it will be NICE to have my own money again.

So if I'm not around much, blame the fact that I'm not allowed on the interwebs during the work day. (I work for a local tax collector, so that's totally understandable, but, still....)

Everyone in the path of the next Nor'easter--be safe. This is seriously repetitive. I mean, really.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the job back, even if it is temporary. It's a nice feeling to know you've been missed too.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
So if I'm not around much, blame the fact that I'm not allowed on the interwebs during the work day. (I work for a local tax collector, so that's totally understandable, but, still....)

Everyone in the path of the next Nor'easter--be safe. This is seriously repetitive. I mean, really.
What kind of job is this? No interwebz? As V said, it's nice to be wanted. And I've seen some of the devastation. Hope everyone is staying safe.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
First day back at a job. Been unemployed since Halloween. The company that laid me off called me back. It's kinda stunning to realize how much I didn't forget.

Though it was nice--every time I turned around, there was someone else coming up to give me a hug "Welcome back!" I'll be honest, I don't remember all their names, but it's kinda wonderful to discover I'm that well thought of.

Don't know how long this job will last (it is a temp one this time), but I'm not getting my hopes up higher than the next paycheck. And it will be NICE to have my own money again.

Well, I must confess, I didn't even realize it was the end of your day, Del! I'm glad that it went so well. And your own money is quite a good feeling.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I just need to take a moment to scream....

Yesterday--I think it was yesterday--the author I've been working with wrote deeply distressed by the edit I had sent him. I'm not entirely sure what exactly upset him so thoroughly, but part of it was a "cryptic" request that he add concrete examples in a few places in the manuscript. "Please add a concrete example" is cryptic? It is certainly "do this," which he also called it. Honestly, if he doesn't want to do it, he should just not do it.

So, he suggested that he demote me to project management. Upon reflection, I felt that was a good idea. A kind of a "whew" sort of feeling. Because I was sick of trying to figure out which of the various meanings of ontology he was using when he used the word.

So this morning, I saw a few jobs that I was interested in, and I spent several hours applying for them--all freelance and mostly writing. Let me just say that Zip Recruiter is annoying.

Then I took my guitars and the broken ukele over to the luthiers. He cleaned up one of them, agreed to throw away the case that was disintegrating, and showed me how to restring it (it's a classical). We made an appointment for me to bring back the Martin in June. It needs a new pick guard (I'm not even going to tell that story because I'm might strangle my son's friend) and the bridge is beginning to pop off (which is really scary). But, gosh, June?! Thank God all the classical needs is new strings.

Then I put gas in the car, went to the grocery store, and came home to find: a) Abbie pooped in the kids' bedroom (again), b) one of the job applications yielded interest, c) the philosophy author was more concerned about my inability to meet a schedule and stop annoying him than anything else, and d) I'm coming down with a sore throat.

So: :rant::cry::(:Headbang::e2drown::deadhorse:badthoughts:mob:gaah

And I'm not sure what else.

Thank God it is almost Tuesday!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to be happy or sad about changes(?), but then I see these guys -->:mob and a host of other smilies. I'm hoping this is just another bump in the road, and things will look much better tomorrow.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to be happy or sad about changes(?), but then I see these guys -->:mob and a host of other smilies. I'm hoping this is just another bump in the road, and things will look much better tomorrow.

I think the dog pooping in the bedroom indicates that it's all just another series of bumps in the road.

Like I said, I just really needed a moment to scream.

I realize, however, I am praying to get demoted to project manager and to get the writing job with the mental health start up. It is telling, what one prays for.

ETA: Oh! The pupples is back!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Pupples!!! :hooray: Yes, I've been un-schmood. Boy that sounds bad.

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Trials and tribs Mr but looks like your on top, the beagle boy is back ( a goofy reference:) )

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
M — I hope that things sort out in your favor! That author sounds .... difficult. But the start up sounds interesting!

What does ETA stand for?

NaBra — you were schmoooed again? Did I miss it?

Hey Beanie!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Bry, I'm a bad boy. Hey Beanie - not getting the ref, but that's often the case. :)

ETA = Edit to add. Sometimes if you're editing something after it's posted, it gives those reading the heads up that you might've changed something since the last read.

Last edited:

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
M — I hope that things sort out in your favor! That author sounds .... difficult. But the start up sounds interesting!

What does ETA stand for?

NaBra — you were schmoooed again? Did I miss it?

Hey Beanie!

I’ve only had a couple of authors who weren’t difficult, and we’re talking about over 30 years here. I think if I were working for an editor they would both understand and be unhappy with my schedule performance. Heck, I’m unhappy with my schedule performance! OTOH, a staff editor would have protected me from the way this author disrupts my work. I needed to protect myself from the disruptions, and I didn’t.

have you ever noticed that the universe has a way of presenting you with opportunities to learn what you need to learn? Marilyn needs to learn how to say no...let’s give her lots of chances...fail...

hey Beanie! Long time no see.

time for sleep here.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Bry, I'm a bad boy. Hey Beanie - not getting the ref, but that's often the case. :)

But you are so cute when you are a bad boy :)

ETA = Edit to add. Sometimes if you're editing something after it's posted, it gives those reading the heads up that you might've changed something since the last read.

Thanks, cause all I was coming up with was Estimated time of arrival, and I knew that wasn’t it.

I’ve only had a couple of authors who weren’t difficult, and we’re talking about over 30 years here. I think if I were working for an editor they would both understand and be unhappy with my schedule performance. Heck, I’m unhappy with my schedule performance! OTOH, a staff editor would have protected me from the way this author disrupts my work. I needed to protect myself from the disruptions, and I didn’t.

Given the type of work you do, the authors you work with would be professors. And I have dealt with my fair share of professors. My boss loves me though. I seem to have a knack for bonding with the most difficult professors on campus.

have you ever noticed that the universe has a way of presenting you with opportunities to learn what you need to learn? Marilyn needs to learn how to say no...let’s give her lots of chances...fail...

I have, and I have also noticed that the universe isn’t particularly interested when I whine back, “But I don’t wanna!” And stomp my feet. But that has never stopped me from doing that either. So the universe and I sit in a perpetual stalemate of having led the stubborn jackass to water but refusing to drink out of spite. Except when the universe isn’t looking and then I can acknowledge that I really did learn something, but I’m definitely not going to give the universe the satisfaction of knowing that fact. So there. <sticks tongue out at universe>

time for sleep here.

G’night M! Pleasant dreams! I’m off to call the family.

Have a great whatever part of the day you are in everyone!

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
lol - Well tank ya, Bry. And night all. Looks like I'm calling it a night as well. Just need to do a couple of these:
EPqfRTK.gif

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Night Bra the beagle boys were always trying to rob scrooge Mcduck and often tussled with goofy when he had his goober nuts

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
*meanders in*

Hullloooooooooos, my people. :)

I feel like I've missed so much, there's no hope of catching up!

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Once you get up to date, BF, will you fill me in?

Good morning, Reppers. Long time no see (or something). I hope you're all doing well.

I'm trying to get up the energy to start my new-shiny today. So far it's more like a big pile of steaming crap, but there's time, I guess...

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, reppers!

Winter has returned, again, despite being the first day of spring. This has been a lousy March in more ways than one.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I haven't been around as much: limited internet where I am currently. Still, finished the damn sisyphus story finally. Now I can 1. sleeeep, 2. write something else that isn't that damn thing, and 3. get a shiny new story in the mail any minute. Who's excited???

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Once you get up to date, BF, will you fill me in?

As soon as someone hands me the cliff notes version, I promise I'll pass them onto you. :kiss:

Winter has returned, again, despite being the first day of spring.

Well, hur! It felt like winter here today too, despite being autumn now. Yesterday felt like summer, and the weather's back to hot again tomorrow. We've just had this one weird outlier day of flannel PJs, winter bedspread, and "should we turn the heating on?" cold.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys! I haven't been around as much: limited internet where I am currently. Still, finished the damn sisyphus story finally. Now I can 1. sleeeep, 2. write something else that isn't that damn thing, and 3. get a shiny new story in the mail any minute. Who's excited???

My internet was terrible in QLD. I could twitter on my phone, but this place was an impossibility.

Ooooh! Story day! YAY for you guys!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
They're calling for snow this evening. Depending on when the rain switches over, we could see a significant accumulation. I'm not working today or tomorrow, at least I don't have to worry about it.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, I get a brand new shiny story??? :hooray: Re-reads posts. Tries to remember ... :Headbang: Oh, yeah fissysuf thang. :e2bummed:

There are no Cliff notes. He ain't even on this thread. No cheating!!!

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back BF and Lil. Hey, Alby. Sissyfus is ready? I'd better go look!

I have to write a story for my creative writing class, but the thing just won't pull together in my mind. I'm going to have to just do it, I think. It's supposed to be based on a weird news story, and I have my news story. I just can't make up my mind which way to go with it.

Somewhere I read something along the lines that there's a balance between you sort of pulling strings as the author/narrator/writer and the story writing itself as it moves through you. So, hopefully, if I start, it will go, kind of like the car.

Bryan, I'm not surprised to learn that you bond with difficult professors. No one can resist your sweet presence. Too bad my prof is at UC Santa Cruz...

I got this new C table to protect the fabric on the couch from my lap table's legs. The darn thing is like 4 or 5 inches too high and is making my shoulders ache.

Lady V., we're getting your storm tomorrow. I hope it turns out to be a lesser thing than a greater thing.

See you all later.

Oh, yeah, Good Morning :hi: