Wattpad and Querying

ajwinter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I have a few questions
I've previously done commissioned work on Wattpad, one of the biggest online writing spaces. I'm also contracted through them as part of their partnership program called the Wattpad Stars (think Youtubers with Google). Would this be something to mention in the bio?

The book I'm also planning to query is currently a featured book on the website, but it's an early rewrite of the book. Since I posted it, I've changed subplots and romances, but the overall plot is the same. How would I go about mentioning this in a query letter?

Should also add that I'm not allowed to take my featured book down until it isn't featured.

Thanks!
~Amanda

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I have a few questions
I've previously done commissioned work on Wattpad, one of the biggest online writing spaces. I'm also contracted through them as part of their partnership program called the Wattpad Stars (think Youtubers with Google). Would this be something to mention in the bio?

The book I'm also planning to query is currently a featured book on the website, but it's an early rewrite of the book. Since I posted it, I've changed subplots and romances, but the overall plot is the same. How would I go about mentioning this in a query letter?

Should also add that I'm not allowed to take my featured book down until it isn't featured.

Thanks!
~Amanda

If your book has been published online, most agents won't accept a query for it. If you choose to query it, you will need to disclose that it has been previously published even if it is no longer featured on the site. Agents will need to see the distribution numbers and sales figures (I don't know how Wattpad works, so not sure how applicable these questions are.)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So, published on Wattpad equals published. That means a lot of agents will not look at the MS because it will be difficult to sell. If you have a really popular property then some folks might consider it - but there are questions of balancing the folks who have already read it for free (even if it's an early version) with those who will pay money for it.

For certain, if you have published a previous version of it via Wattpad you need to mention it. You should also try and reference how much is has changed since that publication. (i.e. overall percentage of new material) It's not impossible to resell previously published work, but it is difficult.

Best of luck. :)

ajwinter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've been talking to a few writer friends from Wattpad who queried and one of them said that some don't mind? In their experience at least. The person I spoke to said it's because we already had a following (I have over 15,000 followers).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Some agents might consider that a point in your favour, because you have a built-in fan-base. However, others are going to consider this a point against you because so many of your potential readers have already read your work AND are unlikely to pay for anything you publish because they are on Wattpad where they can read for free.

Mention it in your query. It will save confusion later. But expect it to put off at least as many agents as it attracts. And good luck.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, if you want to shop this book, there's nothing you can do about Wattpad. That's already done. All you can do is bring it to the agents' attention during querying along with info about your followers. As OH says, it's either a turn-off or it's not, and that will be taken into account when they consider the marketability of the novel. No point in stressing about it beyond the how to put the information into your query. Another option, of course, is to shop your next book and bring up the Wattpad one and your followers as part of the biographical info of your query. For the next book, followers are potential customers, not potential lost sales.

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I have a follow up question. (Sorry If I’m doing this wrong, let me know if I should start a separate thread).

I have a book on Wattpad right now and it was originally planned as an experiment, just to see if I could get any followers on the site. Well, one month later and I still have an unimpressive less-than-200 followers. However, something else happened: the story grew and evolved and I fell in love It’s becoming one of the best things I’ve ever written. I’d estimate about 1/2 is currently on the site. Yesterday, a small startup publisher approached me about publishing the book when it’s done.

So, after reading tons of threads on here, I’m wondering if I could get a little advice. If I’ve missed a relevant thread, I’m sorry for wasting your time. Please point me in the right direction. Basically, I’m wondering if a small untested publisher is the best I can hope for with a story that’s already mostly published on wattpad? It’s far from being a wattpad sensation, though it has attracted a decent amount of attention. This publisher randomly found it and loved it, which has made me feel pretty awesome. I know some people have had a bit of success with getting trade publishers and agents interested in their wattpad stories, but I’m thinking that might be kinda rare?

Thank you so much for your time,
Anna

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anna, you're the second person today who's mentioned being approached by a small publisher based on their Wattpad work.

It sounds to me--not terribly seasoned in the ways of the publishing business compared to a lot of people here--like this start-up could be approaching everybody on Wattpad who can write a coherent story. It's possible they have no experience and insufficient capital.

I'd urge you to look for them at Bewares, Recommendations, & Background Checks. If there's not a thread for them (because they're so new, or so small), start a thread about them repeating how they contacted you based on Wattpad posts, who contacted you, what they said or offered, and whatever else might help us determine whether they're legitimate or simply hoping to separate writer from money.

Maryn, understanding the pleasure in being validated