CLC Literary Awards

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I know I've seen these before, but this is one of the most recent ones, so I have a link: http://www.clcawards.org/Index.html

It's Book Awards where you pay to enter and it seems like the lists of past winners are all self-published or small press books - and there are a TON of "winners". The whole thing feels very scammy BUT I see authors putting these award seals on their covers and advertising that their award winning writers. Maybe from an insiders view of the writing world it doesn't seem very impressive, but I think to the average reader who is a non-writer, it looks like it's almost at the same level as other prestigious awards who put medallions on covers, like the Printz Book Award.

My questions is - as authors, do we avoid these knowing their scams? Are there authors out there who genuinely don't realize it's a scam? Are there authors out there who accept that it's an award they paid for and know it's not that great but put it on their books anyway, knowing they may be able to scam potential readers into taking their books more seriously because they have a fancy medallion on the cover??

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a mixed bag. Just like there are some indie authors who create their own "printing press" to avoid the stigma against self-published authors, I'm sure there are some who use these low-hanging fruit awards to boost sales. But there are also tons of new authors who fall for scams and will pay money to literally anyone who calls themselves a publisher or an award committee.

What I'm curious about is a) how well do these awards actually boost sales? and b) do these awards mean anything to readers who regularly read self-published books?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you paid to win, you didn't really win. Buying the judges has always been a form of cheating.

But there are plenty who don't learn the business side or understand that these are scams.