Puerto Rican voters back statehood in questioned referendum

Do you support Puerto Rico as the 51st state?

• Yes, I suppport Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state.

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • No, I do not support Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Puerto Rico's governor announced that the U.S. territory overwhelmingly chose statehood on Sunday in a nonbinding referendum held amid a deep economic crisis that has sparked an exodus of islanders to the U.S. mainland.

Nearly half a million votes were cast for statehood, about 7,600 for free association/independence and nearly 6,700 for the current territorial status, according to preliminary results. Voter turnout was just 23 percent, leading opponents to question the validity of a vote that several political parties had urged their supporters to boycott.

And the U.S. Congress has final say in any changes to Puerto Rico's political status.

But that didn't stop Gov. Pedro Rossello from vowing to push ahead with his administration's quest to make the island the 51st U.S. state and declaring that "Puerto Rico voted for statehood." He said he would create a commission to ensure that Congress validate the referendum's results.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-11-17-26-34

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If they wish to become a state, I can't see why we should stop them. If they don't wish to become a state, I don't see why we should force them.

If people are worried about statehood making the exodus even worse, leaving the island depopulated, I'm guessing that if they were a state their economic fortunes might be more closely tied to our own, making mass migration less needed.

Note that a 23% voter turnout is underwhelming, even by US standards, so my biggest question is whether the majority of Puerto Ricans really want this.

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If they wish to become a state, I can't see why we should stop them. If they don't wish to become a state, I don't see why we should force them.

If people are worried about statehood making the exodus even worse, leaving the island depopulated, I'm guessing that if they were a state their economic fortunes might be more closely tied to our own, making mass migration less needed.

Note that a 23% voter turnout is underwhelming, even by US standards, so my biggest question is whether the majority of Puerto Ricans really want this.

What would be the issue with them becoming a state? Would mainlanders be concerned with having to fork out money for PR? The risk of having Puerto Ricans coming over to the US? Surely if they are already citizens, then they already can come and go as they please?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What would be the issue with them becoming a state? Would mainlanders be concerned with having to fork out money for PR? The risk of having Puerto Ricans coming over to the US? Surely if they are already citizens, then they already can come and go as they please?

If they become a state, it reshapes the congressional make-up. Their reps would get a vote that actually counts. The number of districts and the number of senators would change. There are economic issues with the island that many people in our current gov't would fear (many of them caused by US companies flooding in, then flooding back out).

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If they become a state, it reshapes the congressional make-up. Their reps would get a vote that actually counts. The number of districts and the number of senators would change. There are economic issues with the island that many people in our current gov't would fear (many of them caused by US companies flooding in, then flooding back out).

Thanks. I just read that Australia's own Northern Territory may become the 7th state next year... although in the 90s they voted not to become a state. I don't really know why. As far as I'm aware, the only real difference in being a territory is that they don't have as much of a say in how the country is run as the states do. That, and people in the territories don't have the protection of the Constitution.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What would be the issue with them becoming a state?

They would immediately have two U.S. Senators, who, given the Republican Party's stance on Hispanic immigration, would almost certainly be Democrats. The GOP ain't about to let that happen. Same thing they've done for decades in blocking Congressional representation for the District of Columbia.

caw

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
They do have some Constitutional protections (The Bill of Rights, I believe). But not others. A Puerto Rican born in Puerto Rico isn't fully protected by the 14th amendment. According to legal scholars, Congress can vote to revoke citizenship.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'd actually like to see British Columbia become the 51st state. It's a really nice place, and would geographically link Alaska, where I live, to the rest of the nation.

caw

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'd actually like to see British Columbia become the 51st state. It's a really nice place, and would geographically link Alaska, where I live, to the rest of the nation.

caw

Ha, I'd like to see British Columbia's referendum results on that.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
They would immediately have two U.S. Senators, who, given the Republican Party's stance on Hispanic immigration, would almost certainly be Democrats. The GOP ain't about to let that happen. Same thing they've done for decades in blocking Congressional representation for the District of Columbia.

caw

On the other hand, it would (temporarily) boost employment figures as people made updated American flags*. And someone would have to write a replacement for the old school ditty "Fifty Nifty United States."

* - Then again, I think a fair number of flags are made overseas these days...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

caw

Ha, I'd like to see British Columbia's referendum results on that.

Meanwhile, over in Quebec...

*crickets, eh*

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score

caw

And I'd like to see Alaska become part of Canada - first, we'd get the Panhandle back, and then the whole rest of the Pan. And, we'd be yuuuge! We'd be an oil superpower, and, united, could control the North-West Passage as it thaws.

You could be a territory, if you like, or a province. We would allow you to keep your traditional holidays, of course, while not letting them take over ours (this would make for 2 Thanksgivings - we can each be thankful for different things - and a nice long July long weekend/short week - from the 1st to the 4th of July?)

And, no matter how unpopular the U.S. gets, you can all legitimately wear a Canadian flag internationally. Suddenly, instantly, with a scratch of the pen,you folks would become polite, friendly Canadians! And we won't make you apply for refugee status or anything.

Then, the U.S. could let Puerto Rico in, just to keep the states at 50.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
And I'd like to see Alaska become part of Canada - first, we'd get the Panhandle back, and then the whole rest of the Pan. And, we'd be yuuuge! We'd be an oil superpower, and, united, could control the North-West Passage as it thaws.

You could be a territory, if you like, or a province. We would allow you to keep your traditional holidays, of course, while not letting them take over ours (this would make for 2 Thanksgivings - we can each be thankful for different things - and a nice long July long weekend/short week - from the 1st to the 4th of July?)

And, no matter how unpopular the U.S. gets, you can all legitimately wear a Canadian flag internationally. Suddenly, instantly, with a scratch of the pen,you folks would become polite, friendly Canadians! And we won't make you apply for refugee status or anything.

Then, the U.S. could let Puerto Rico in, just to keep the states at 50.
And you could always sell them back to Russia if they got too outta line.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And you could always sell them back to Russia if they got too outta line.
True, but we were thinking of using them as a buffer. I don't know that we want the Russians with a reason to get thatclose.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who was born in Puerto Rico, but have moved to and have lived in the United States for most of her life, I would totally support it being a state, but I have heard mixed feelings and opinions from other Puerto Ricans (especially those who are currently living there) about this statehood issue, whether against it or for it, for various reasons.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

caw

I'd like to see Massachusetts become part of Canada.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
No offense, but if Canada was going for foreign colonies, I think we'd be looking for somewhere warm and sunny. On the other hand, we'd get MIT, eh?
My sole complaint about Massachusetts (aside from the spelling) is that, being in the East, it's added huge population would further unbalance our already unbalanced population spread - in federal elections, the decision is made in the high-population East, while we in the West are just along for the ride, and local representation.
On the other hand, it would be part of the Maritime/Atlantic provinces and they could use the economic boost!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
While we're partitioning the USA, Australia'll take California and maybe Oregon. Washington state can become South British Columbia. NZ likes Pacific islands, so they can have Hawaii.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
back on topic:

The referendum coincided with the 100th anniversary of the United States granting U.S. citizenship to Puerto Ricans, though they are barred from voting in presidential elections and have only one congressional representative with limited voting powers.

Many believe the island's territorial status has contributed to its economic crisis, largely caused by decades of heavy borrowing and the elimination of federal tax incentives.

Puerto Rico is exempt from the U.S. federal income tax, but it still pays Social Security and Medicare and local taxes and receives less federal funding than U.S. states.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-11-17-26-34

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who was born in Puerto Rico, but have moved to and have lived in the United States for most of her life, I would totally support it being a state, but I have heard mixed feelings and opinions from other Puerto Ricans (especially those who are currently living there) about this statehood issue, whether against it or for it, for various reasons.
I'm interested, what are the reasons for being against statehood? The advantages of it seem pretty straightforward, but as was pointed out, Australia has a very similar federal constitutional structure to the US, and our NT has rejected statehood before.