Beta readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pschmehl

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a novella that is about 23K. So far I'm not getting any interest from agents. The moderator of the novella forum suggested I post here to find out if anyone has sold Christian novellas through the traditional publishing route.

She also said there are beta readers who will read your work and comment on it. How does that work?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written a novella that is about 23K. So far I'm not getting any interest from agents. The moderator of the novella forum suggested I post here to find out if anyone has sold Christian novellas through the traditional publishing route.

She also said there are beta readers who will read your work and comment on it. How does that work?

Many agents are not interested in novellas at all. They are difficult to sell and far less lucrative than novel-length works. So, yes, that will definitely work against you. You may have better luck selling it to a magazine that publishes stories of that length.

Beta readers can be found two ways.

One is to go to the main page of AW and scroll down to "Share Your Work". You can post the opening of your novella in the genre-appropriate subforum (once you've reached 50 posts on Absolute Write). Other writers will critique your opening and give you feedback. You can note in your post that you are looking for beta readers. This is a good way for a reader and writer to 'test the waters' to see whether or not their styles match. You can also critique other people's work there -- a good way to get to 50 posts in a hurry!

The other is to go to the main page of AW and scroll down to "Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies". There you can offer a short blurb about your story, and maybe the first hundred words or so, and ask for beta readers. However, it's unusual for a new member to attract many betas, as most beta readers do want to know who they are offereing to beta-read for. Members who have been active on the board and who have shown they are willing to help other people are more likely to get people offering to help them in return.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you_uh_Unimportant. Why the strange handle?
Gosh, it's been so long I can't remember! I suspect that when I needed to choose a user name, I figured who I am (in terms of first/last name, profession, etc) was really unimportant. The only important thing about me, here on AW, is what I say (well, type) and how/if I help others.

And, of course, the truth is that in the world of writing and publishing, I am indeed an unimportant nobody. Not a famous editor or author or anything like that.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine that's exactly what the famous authors and editors walking among us might say, to deflect attention. ;)

Anyway, the lack of agent interest was nailed upthread. Novellas are a hard sell. How do I know? Easy. Name the last three novellas you bought, any genre. I don't think I've bought one in a couple of years now, and my genre is one of the ones where they sell reasonably well.

As others have said, I'm not your target market at all, but I wish you success in finding a beta reader who is.

Maryn, who really should get offline and start painting

Status
Not open for further replies.