• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

TCK Publishing

NikkiB89

Registered
Reaction score
Tck is currently considering a Full from me. Love that they promised a response within 21 days! 2 down, 19 to go.

Storywise

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone have experience with TCK Publishing.

Thanks,

Chris

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. It's simpler for everyone - publisher and authors - that way.

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
I just wanted to mention that we recently changed our royalty structure from 50% net royalties to 50% gross royalties to simplify them and increase our authors' royalties. All the details are available at https://www.tckpublishing.com/publishing/book-publishing-royalties

Because of this change some of my previous comments about royalties are no longer current.
What degree of editing do you offer your authors? I saw it mentioned you don't offer structural editing. I imagine this step would be necessary. Most publishers I've worked with have 3 or 4 in-house editors all working on the manuscript together.

tcorsonk

Registered
Reaction score
What degree of editing do you offer your authors? I saw it mentioned you don't offer structural editing. I imagine this step would be necessary. Most publishers I've worked with have 3 or 4 in-house editors all working on the manuscript together.
We do all the editing from developmental editing to copy editing and proofreading in-house. Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Donnettetxgirl

jwunder

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted my MS and received four duplicate rejections the space of an hour from a "Mark Buctuanon." Never had that happen before. I feel so special. Well, it least they were quick (less than two weeks). But in a way I'm glad. Self publishing is a better option.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps the owner/operator will get back to us with average sales numbers (copies per title -- mean, median, high, low). That is IMO a key factor.

Editing to add: by which I mean, NOT including the 20-odd books authored by the company's CEO.

Reactions: mccardey

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Their rejection letter is weird, too. A gal on facebook took them up on their offer, sent them proof of becoming a bestseller elsewhere, and oddly, </s>, they have not followed through on their promise to:

I’m sure we’ll be kicking ourselves later when it becomes a best seller.

Please feel free to bookmark this email and let us know when you do publish it and we would be more than happy to share your success story on social media.

I think I considered subbing to them at one point, but never did and won't in the future.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Their rejection letter is weird, too. A gal on facebook took them up on their offer, sent them proof of becoming a bestseller elsewhere, and oddly, </s>, they have not followed through on their promise to:

I think I considered subbing to them at one point, but never did and won't in the future.

I don't see any problem with that rejection letter. It was direct and polite, with some useful links.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My response to it was 100% identical to Jean Campbell's response. Jean Campbell is the woman who wrote the blog post I linked.

However, it's wonderful that we all have unique perspectives! It's a good way for authors to decide which editorial teams they'd work well with, and which ones they would not. That this rejection letter resonates positively with a slice of writers is fantastic.

I also did not find the links therein useful, having seen all of that information elsewhere, multiple times, on forums and blogs and SM and in writing groups and advice from agents and yadda yadda yadda. But again! Different people have different responses, and I am delighted that multiple posters here found the links to be beneficial.

Incidentally, I learned the word freudenfreude today, which seems to apply in this case. I feel joy that others found joy in that link.

Happy freudenfreude.

Reactions: Gramps

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My response to it was 100% identical to Jean Campbell's response. Jean Campbell is the woman who wrote the blog post I linked.

However, it's wonderful that we all have unique perspectives! It's a good way for authors to decide which editorial teams they'd work well with, and which ones they would not. That this rejection letter resonates positively with a slice of writers is fantastic.

I also did not find the links therein useful, having seen all of that information elsewhere, multiple times, on forums and blogs and SM and in writing groups and advice from agents and yadda yadda yadda. But again! Different people have different responses, and I am delighted that multiple posters here found the links to be beneficial.

Incidentally, I learned the word freudenfreude today, which seems to apply in this case. I feel joy that others found joy in that link.

Happy freudenfreude.

I dunno. I wouldn't want to submit to a publisher that had so few submissions they were able to give detailed feedback on every rejected manuscript.

It's a form rejection. Those links won't be of use to everyone, but some of the people who receive that email might benefit from them.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Woolly, what would a better form rejection note look like to you? (Disclosure: I'm on TeamAppreciate for this one. I think as rejections go, it's trying very hard to hit all the nice spots - which is very kind of it, really.)

Do you think it's trying too hard, perhaps?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Woolly, what would a better form rejection note look like to you? (Disclosure: I'm on TeamAppreciate for this one. I think as rejections go, it's trying very hard to hit all the nice spots - which is very kind of it, really.)

Do you think it's trying too hard, perhaps?
I thought it was clear what portion I took issue with.

I would not include the language:
I’m sure we’ll be kicking ourselves later when it becomes a best seller.

Please feel free to bookmark this email and let us know when you do publish it and we would be more than happy to share your success story on social media.

... Especially if the writer takes that statement at face value, sends TCK their publishing success and proof of best selling status, and hears crickets in return. That was the second item in my post this morning, from FB, which is from a private group.

She sent what they said to send, in the manner they said to send it. Surprise, there was no sharing of success on SM, no reply, nothing. I think it likely the writer is 'kicking themselves' for being duped, but I doubt the publisher ever kicked themself over any of it.

It's deceitful language, which is a major red flag to me. I prefer rejection letters (and editors) that are not given to silly games. I prefer honesty.

Incidentally, as an aside, the rejection letter also says something like:

Due to the volume of submissions, we cannot give detailed feedback.

Sounds like they get plenty of submissions and do not provide feedback. Of course, this is probably a completely facile statement as well, at odds with other language of theirs elsewhere, and entirely self-serving.

To my ear. It's a subjective business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mevrouw Bee

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was clear what portion I took issue with.
Oh. Sorry. It wasn't clear to me.

I would not include the language:

... Especially if the writer takes that statement at face value, sends TCK their publishing success and proof of best selling status, and hears crickets in return.
To be fair, if the writer was unpublished in May 22 the turn-around to best-seller status has been incredibly quick. Might have caught them on the hop.
It's deceitful language, and that is a major red flag to me. I prefer rejection letters that are honest.
They probably mean it to be supportive, rather than assuming that a best-selling author will need their endorsement.
Incidentally, as an aside, the rejection letter also says something like:

Sounds like they get plenty of submissions and do not provide feedback.
I can't find this bit now, but just to point out for new writers that feedback on form rejections is not a Thing, generally.

Your friend seems to have done very well without TCK.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
They probably mean it to be supportive, rather than assuming that a best-selling author will need their endorsement.
Well, as they say, a writer's business is words, and clarity. Saying you will do a thing seems pretty cut and dried, as words go.

There are other words that are less ambiguous and can more easily show support.