Do you nudge the nudge?

elsett

Registered
Reaction score
I finally got an offer of representation and had a full week to make my decision -- so got busy contacting all other agents that had my query/full. I heard good things from them, but the clock ticks closer to the one-week mark and haven't yet heard anything (granted, it's only been like 3 days). Since the deadline is so soon, is it advisable to send another email checking on my status, maybe a day or two before the deadline?

Thanks!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Leave them alone.

They know you have an offer. If they're interested they'll come back to you.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I didn't nudge. Like OH said, if they're interested, they'll let you know. They know your deadline. FWIW, I nudged 10-12 agents when I got an offer, and about 5 never responded. It happens.

elsett

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I'm wondering how likely it is to get a counter-offer in this short time frame. I hate to nudge, so I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't nudge again. Very stressful time, though!

LuckyStar

Registered
Reaction score
Since it is common practice to let other agents know you have an offer from an agency, I would say it is also common for writers to get feedback and counteroffers. Agents work with deadlines, it is part of their job, so if they are interested, they will contact you with a counter offer within the timeframe suggested. I have heard of agents contacting sending their best wishes to the writer even thought they may not make a counter offer. I have also heard of writers getting no replies from other agents contacted, so you just have to take what happens at face value, and be proud and happy you have an offer from an the original agent.

Good work and Good Luck to you!