Is the concept of a succubus too cheesy for a modern audience?

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
A succubus has been summoned from hell to our realm by a fool using an ancient text called "demonic pacts for dummies "(placeholder title don't worry). The ritual goes horribly wrong due to incorrect information and resulted in the summoner''s death. The succubus is now free to roam our realm unsupervised and begins terrorizing the populace by leaving a string of bodies in her wake. A succubus has a number of advantages over a human, including increased strength, speed, resistance to harm, and telepathic powers. It has the ability to hypnotize it's victims, putting them into a deep trance. A pleasant, euphoric haze descends on the victim who is under her spell, making them very open to suggestion. This ability only works on men, and uses a large amount of energy (mana) from a succubus to use. The creature can also use polymorphization to slightly adjust and tweak it's features, changing its appearance as needed, but always in the form of a human woman. It needs to hunt every month or so to recharge it's mana reserves. The longer it goes without food, the less control it has over its faculties. At some point, it will force itself on the closest individual it can find.

The creature feeds by preying on men that it seduces. It absorbs the mana from their souls, leaving them desiccated, dried up husks that are later disposed off. Sex with a succubus is far more enjoyable than with a mortal human, which it uses to release the energy from the victim. After the soul is eaten, the creature gains the memories and abilities of the person. The strength of its abilities continues to grow as it feeds off of more prey. At some point, it can completely "dominate" it's victims, enslaving them to its will. A human under its spell at that point would do anything they are told to do by her, including murder, steal, or die. Hypnotization only works on one person at a time while the succubus is weak. As it grows in strength, it can extend it to multiple victims, but can use up it's mana more quickly.

Citizens are terrified and authorities are in panic. Hundreds of unexplained disappearances become commonplace, with victims later turning up scattered around the city. The bodies resemble dried up corpses similar to raisins being left out in the sun for too long. The succubus enjoys the fear that she is instilling, and is no closer to being found. The body count continues to pile up with no end in sight.

I'm trying to salvage the concept of the succubus without turning it into some kind of hentai. Rather than portray it as the sexy, fetishized interpretation of this creature, such as in the show "lost girl", make it out to be a dangerous predator with the pathology of a serial killer, along the lines of catherine tranell or hannibal. Im thinking that telling it from the creatures point of view would be even more disturbing. It would be a look into the mind of a sociopathic monster that sees human beings only as a food source, killing without conscience and destroying lives for its own amusement. Does a sex related story of a monster like this inevitably devolve into fetishist territory, or can it actually work as horror?

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i really love Lost Girl. sad that it's ended now, but it's for the best.

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
It was entertaining, but I feel a being like that shouldn't be so frendly or good.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Does a sex related story of a monster like this inevitably devolve into fetishist territory, or can it actually work as horror?

The answer to the question "Can this work?" in regards to any kind of story, is always. "It depends on the execution."

I think as far as a succubus goes, you simply have to focus more on the fact that this is a monster that defiles and kills people through sex, as opposed to the sex itself. To really press it home though, a few sex scenes, and lots of overt sexuality will be required, but again, it'll depend on your execution whether it comes off as horrific or hentai.

SR Wittmann

Registered
Reaction score
I like your idea, and yes, I think it can work but you should carefully consider how you approach your story. Oddly enough, my current story has a character that sees people as a source of food, so I've spent a good deal of time contemplating how to use this character without turning off the reader.

To begin with, if you cast the succubus as the protagonist you may have problems getting your readers to relate or "like" a lead character that's so evil it kills without conscience and eats people for food. Your reader must want your protagonist to succeed. Your reader must feel disappointment for the protagonist when things go wrong. Your reader must feel encouraged for your protagonist when things look hopeful. Asking your reader to relate this way with an evil sociopathic monster that eats people for food is going to be one touch nut to crack.

You'd do better casting the succubus in the role of antagonist and using its sociopathic tendencies to build a hatred in your reader toward this evil character. This you could do...people are inclined to hate a monster that eats people for food. Consider your own example. When Thomas Harris created the Hannibal Lecter character, he cast Hannibal as the antagonist because there'd be no way readers would love and root for a brain-eating sociopath. But...they would root for a young country girl trying to take on the evil monster all by herself. It's a typical David vs. Goliath scenario.

In the case of Lost Girl (I followed the series from beginning to end) Bo was a very likeable succubus. She did not eat people. She cared for others. She looked for the good in others. She made it her goal to care for and protect her community of friends. So you see, even though Bo was a succubus, the show portrayed her as more human than monster. That's why we like her, we root for her, and why she always conquered evil by the end of each episode.

Do what you want. It's your story, but IMO, I'd cast the succubus as the antagonist and make her just as evil and hateable as you can. Then find yourself a loveable underdog to be the protagonist. For all you know, the loveable protagonist could be the succubus's twin sister who followed her out of the depths of hell to stop her from eating people for food.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Yes! Lost Girl fans exist here! Sweet!

To answer your question, I don't think it is. I would suggest spicing it up some to make it hot and more interesting. Oh and on another note, kitsune are like a Japanese version of the succubus.

Paracosmic Entity

Registered
Reaction score
If your succubus kills without hesitation with no regard for her victims, readers probably won't take much interest. The succubus should be a predatory creature as you've already written, but the creature must be a 'person' in order for a story to center around her. Give the succubus a goal, like trying to escape to her own world. Try writing with some dark humor, it engages readers even if there are other flaws in the plot. If you don't want your succubus to turn into some hentai, then instead of showing sex scenes, lean more into the innuendos and implications.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
If your succubus kills without hesitation with no regard for her victims, readers probably won't take much interest. The succubus should be a predatory creature as you've already written, but the creature must be a 'person' in order for a story to center around her. Give the succubus a goal, like trying to escape to her own world. Try writing with some dark humor, it engages readers even if there are other flaws in the plot. If you don't want your succubus to turn into some hentai, then instead of showing sex scenes, lean more into the innuendos and implications.

They were perfect.

deafblindmute

Registered
Reaction score
Any idea can be scary with the right execution. With any fantastic creature who has appeared time and time again, a good trick is to create a parallel between the mythical creature and some real-life horror.

One thing to consider isn't the fear of sexuality itself, but rather sexually transmitted diseases. The idea that the succubus exists as a bringer of plague upon those who are not wary. Or, perhaps, use sexual relationships in an abusive way, showing how sex can be used to exert control over another person. I would also recommend, for the sake of avoiding the "Sex is evil" tropes, to maybe include some healthy sexual relationships in the story, too.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the execution thing. I've never been a fan of succubi, because I feel like it's yet another trope demonizing female sexuality, but if you told me Stephen King had a succubus book out, I'd check it out. If it's in the hands of someone like GRRM, then noooo thankyews.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
God, I hope there's still a market. My last short story I sold (to Nisaba Press) had one in it and I fully expect Dusk to make many more appearances as long as they'll keep buying my stories.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lost Girl worked so well largely because the writers crafted an MC, Bo, with a conscience - something unexpected in succubi & incubi - and ran with it.
A fun ride for all concerned (er, no pun intended . . . :Shrug:).

risk10

Registered
Reaction score
Yes - but as others have said:it's all in the execution. The succubus can a wholly unlikeable character, even hated to a degree,and may still be your protagonist. You would need to bring in another greater evil to offset this. Dexter made a serial killer likeable because he targeted other serial killers. Maybe your succubus targets sexual predators?

Maybe there is a greater plague she is holding back - a bigger "bad". I agree that you cannot have her as an unfeeling, uncaring murderer as the focus of the story. People just won't relate without someone to support.

Best of luck!

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
Possibly using the old trope of the renegade cop or a "Nightstalker"-esque reporter (Blogger?) as the "good character" acting as a foil/foe to your Succubus would work. The whole "It's a monster killing people!" while people tell them they've gone off their meds sort of thing maybe? Oh, and I do need to point out there there's almost nothing that is "too cheesy" for modern audiences. I'm sure we all see things published or produced as a movie or TV show and wonder "who the heck is reading/watching this?" Well, somebody is! If they weren't, it would not be published or produced. *cough* Sharknado *cough*. Enough people watched that, and it made enough money to inspire 5, count 'em, 5 sequels. Which means six screenplays got written, probably by somebody thinking "Is this too cheesy?"

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Possibly using the old trope of the renegade cop or a "Nightstalker"-esque reporter (Blogger?) as the "good character" acting as a foil/foe to your Succubus would work. The whole "It's a monster killing people!" while people tell them they've gone off their meds sort of thing maybe? Oh, and I do need to point out there there's almost nothing that is "too cheesy" for modern audiences. I'm sure we all see things published or produced as a movie or TV show and wonder "who the heck is reading/watching this?" Well, somebody is! If they weren't, it would not be published or produced. *cough* Sharknado *cough*. Enough people watched that, and it made enough money to inspire 5, count 'em, 5 sequels. Which means six screenplays got written, probably by somebody thinking "Is this too cheesy?"

To me, it depends on the execution.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feel it depends what you do with it and how you fashion the yarn.

I say go for it, though. Give it a shot!