Status
Not open for further replies.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
A lot of people have touched on this already, but I was curious if anyone else is as obsessive as I am with this.

As a DJ, I hear tons of music. When I come up with a story, especially the one I'm working on now, I like to select tracks and actually do a mix set of songs as if they were the soundtrack to the movie that plays in my head when I write. Sometimes I find that certain artist's albums "flow" like a story and fit the vibe that I'm trying to capture, and I'll listen to it over and over again until a certain scene is finished.

I find that it helps me to keep my head in the game, even though on more than one occasion I've found myself listening to three hours straight of thudding house music :ROFL:

Sara Raynott

Registered
Reaction score
I've totally done that!

I've also read a few books where a play list was included by the author and it had me wondering if the process is more common than I thought.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
It works in both directions . Philip Glass was a taxi driver for years before he became known as a composer . If you drive a car listing to his early work . The flow of the road and the movement of the out side world , when you stop moving , is intensified by the music. Music is a link to the minds of others, as is writing . Personally I find some music more moving and inspiring . I like jazz , but just lately I have been listing, when writhing , to Vangelis's sound track to Blade Runner .

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
I can listen to songs on repeat for an hour or so, and I change them in time with what I'm writing. I also pace and build up storylines. Music really helps me to explore different paths that the story can travel down.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
I love writing to music. I find that it helps with inspiration, too. Depending on what I'm listening to, the story can go a hundred different directions.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
That wouldn't work for me. I always have music on to drown out my flatmates' noise and to help me focus my feeble brain, but which music best achieves this effect depends entirely on my changing mood and level of distractability. Taking the nature of what I'm writing into account as well would make choosing the right noise endlessly complicated for me.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
I started a thread like this on another board, perhaps this was the proper place for it. But, yes, music has alot of influence on my work. My first manuscript was spurred on by Iron maiden's The Book of Souls There are even songs I go out of my way to associate with the books I read, or rather, books I've read that make me think of songs I know...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.