Fun

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
As in, anybody have any lately? Seriously, it seems like all I do is work, can you relate? Most of us have to do other things besides write. We have jobs, go to school, have family responsibilities, and many, many bills to pay.

It's Friday. I'll be working this weekend, but typically weekends are light, so I might be able to sneak some in. What will I do? Have no idea. I think I've forgotten how to have fun on my own. Do you have this condition? Been so long on the treadmill that when I step off I tend to lose my footing.

Just like to hear about happy people doing happy things. Refresh my memory.

What kinds of things do you do for fun? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpVxOMNofg?

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Think I'm gonna get in the car and go. I have a full tank of gas. North is the way for me. Last time I did this, I ended up in San Francisco. But that was quite a few years ago when I had more energy and a stronger sense of adventure. I'm thinkin', if I make it up to Santa Barbara it will be far enough. Got my phone, got my laptop, I got five dollars and change, I'm good.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Oddly enough, on the way to work this morning, they played "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" on the radio, and I realized how long it'd been since I had fun.

Not that I ever did the party scene. Or the bar scene. Or the social scene. My idea of "fun" rarely extends beyond reading a book or playing a video game.

Yeesh, I'm pathetic. But at least I have books and video games. Eat it, world...

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Fun?

Its exhausting just thinking about peering out above the parapet of trudge, but it happens at times. Work is hard, and finite, money short, bills long, kids exhausting, healthcare may well be universal and free at point of delivery, but its tortuous. And the bloody weather; glorious all week while stuck in the office of eternal despair and shade, but at the mere thought of an economical picnic at Devils Bridge and letting the kids swim in the river, and its immediately howling wind and torrential rain.

Can still have fun though. I got a glue gun, a shitload of cereal boxes, some brown paint, lollypop sticks, and a little boy eager to make a Toby Tram Engine.

It helps that our priorities were just reshuffled and our security thrown in to doubt. It Refocuses the mind on what matters, and what's free. As the country seems divided now, a looming election, brexit, the future of union in question. Fun seems more important than ever to grab it where we can.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's fun if it's fun to you! :)

I have the most fun at work, 90% of the time. I have come to realize things that make me feel good usually involve productivity. Cleaning the house, doing a home project, etc. When I have too many days off with nothing to "accomplish," I get depressed.

Also though, I listen to music a lot when I'm working; I think that's part of what makes the more boring parts fun. I just got a Bose speaker and set it up in the kitchen--it immediately made cooking more fun. I tend to get bored with cooking, but I actually felt a teeny bit sad when I was finished tonight. :roll:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, on the way to work this morning, they played "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" on the radio, and I realized how long it'd been since I had fun.

Not that I ever did the party scene. Or the bar scene. Or the social scene. My idea of "fun" rarely extends beyond reading a book or playing a video game.

Yeesh, I'm pathetic. But at least I have books and video games. Eat it, world...

Honestly, when I don't glamorize my partying days, I remember that they were equal parts fun, boredom, and torture.

Not pathetic at all. Whatever works, well, works!

Fun?

Its exhausting just thinking about peering out above the parapet of trudge, but it happens at times. Work is hard, and finite, money short, bills long, kids exhausting, healthcare may well be universal and free at point of delivery, but its tortuous. And the bloody weather; glorious all week while stuck in the office of eternal despair and shade, but at the mere thought of an economical picnic at Devils Bridge and letting the kids swim in the river, and its immediately howling wind and torrential rain.

Can still have fun though. I got a glue gun, a shitload of cereal boxes, some brown paint, lollypop sticks, and a little boy eager to make a Toby Tram Engine.

It helps that our priorities were just reshuffled and our security thrown in to doubt. It Refocuses the mind on what matters, and what's free. As the country seems divided now, a looming election, brexit, the future of union in question. Fun seems more important than ever to grab it where we can.

It's really true. Sometimes having fun just seems like too much work. And work, as we know, is the curse of the drinking class. It's almost as though you have to gather the energy for fun.

You're probably aware of what's happening over here, politically. Dark days, and a big part of my incentive to get out of here and change my perspective. There's a line from an old song, Steppin' Out by a Joe Jackson, that says, "We're tired of all the darkness in our lives..." I always think of that when I'm in this kind of mood.

It's fun if it's fun to you! :)

I have the most fun at work, 90% of the time. I have come to realize things that make me feel good usually involve productivity. Cleaning the house, doing a home project, etc. When I have too many days off with nothing to "accomplish," I get depressed.

Also though, I listen to music a lot when I'm working; I think that's part of what makes the more boring parts fun. I just got a Bose speaker and set it up in the kitchen--it immediately made cooking more fun. I tend to get bored with cooking, but I actually felt a teeny bit sad when I was finished tonight. :roll:

I could use some time off, but can't right now. The good news, is I can be mobile while I'm working. The worst that could happen is I'll have to take the next freeway exit, find a workable parking lot and open up my laptop and make/take some calls. My business is 45 minutes of lull followed by 15 minutes of panic.

Those Bose speakers are great. I'd like to have one of those. Music, though, definitely. It's a direct hit. (somebody said that once)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I do, too. Mostly, I do. I'm more restless than I'd like to be, but I do my best with what I have to work with. God, self-awareness is such a tough nut. How can we ever understand ourselves when most of what we are was formed when we were so young? Is change even possible? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm aware of the need to grow, which means change, but I'm not sure I'm any different today than I was when I was twelve years old. Are any of us? I don't know.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, yes! Change is possible. Not only is it possible, but it's impossible not to change. The trick is to change in ways that accentuate the positive.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal