Beagle Tips Sought

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my time with my doxies is either just sitting around in the apartment, sleeping, or taking walks. It's on the walks that we meet the problems with other dogs, kids (and runners). When they're with me, they have a very low tolerance for other dogs, irrespective of size (they'll lunge at a St. Bernard), which greatly disappoints/confuses the ones that want to play or just get to know them. Curiously, when I take them to the kennel for my trips away, they have no problem at all being in a huge play group of dogs. I guess the issue is keeping other dogs away from me. As with your beagle, my guys do better with other doxies than other breeds. Most of the time, they much prefer to lie around on something soft, like a blanket or pillow or the bed (or lap), but there are times when they choose the floor (always the rugs, though, never the wooden floors). One of them loves to wallow in clothes fresh out of the dryer, hehe. We gave them an old blanket, and the same one likes to bury his ball in the blanket, and then "dig" it up again. He gets so into it that he begins to pant. It's hysterically funny to watch him. I wish I had a yard in which he could dig for real, but that's not an option for a NYC apartment dweller.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Sounds like your dogs are over-protective of you. I've had problems with the Malshih barking/growling at people a lot. In response, I took her on a lot of town walks, so that she has to deal with large crowds of people. She's a lot better now, though oddly, she'll walk through a town full of people without a single growl, but if we're out walking in the sticks or even just around my home, and it's real quiet, as soon as she sees somebody, she might bark at them like they're out to personally kill her or something. I think in town, there's just so many people that she knows she can't focus on anyone in particular. But out here, when there's nobody else around, somebody on the horizon is one thing to fixate on.

Both of mine like to do a spot of digging, though the Malshih will push toys under the cupboard/sofa/computer table and try to 'dig' them out, while the Beagle will just smell something interesting in the garden and dig at the grass or the soil. And though I'm doing some scentwork with my beagle, overall, the terrier has a much higher prey drive. I believe it's the same for dachshunds, what with them hunting and digging for badgers and whatnot. My beagle's more likely to chase after interesting smells, but the malshih is the one that will persist in getting to the prey.

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
One of my doxies likes to push a ball under a piece of furniture, but then he waits for me to bring it out and throw it for him to chase! I've never understood the origin of the game, although it might be to keep his brother from getting the ball before I throw it again.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It is so loud! But, I must admit, it's better than being startled out of your mind by sudden, frantic German Shepherd barking. :p

Or the screeches of an excited border collie/Australian cattle dog mix.

Ow.

I'm a herding dog person, so I have a different set of challenges than beagle owners face. But with all dogs, it's important to know what best motivates them and to be the one who controls access to those things. And to be sure that they associate you with good things and fun times so you're more interesting to them than whatever it is that distracts dogs of their type. With herding dogs that's most often bodies in motion. With beagles, I'm guessing that it's going to be aromas.

As for the elderly cat, I'd make sure she has an area where she can chill and be comfortable where the pup won't have access. And teach a good redirect early. If the pup gets fixated on something you don't want them fixated on, make sure there's something more appropriate for them to do that's just as fun. This is harder than it sounds, however. I think it's easier with a pup, since she will grow up socialized with the cat. I always adopt adolescent or older dogs, so they come with what's termed a "reward history" for things like counter surfing and cat pestering already in place :Headbang:

Bad habits are easier to prevent than to "fix" after the fact.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
All going well, but sadly I had to have my cat put to sleep 2 days after I got my puppy. He was going on 20, and starting to suffer with arthritis and lack of appetite. He barely ate during the last week of his life, not even when I cracked open the sardines and pilchards. Tried a series of intense meds from the vet but they didn't help and he went down-hill fast. Couldn't walk properly by the last day, and I had to carry him to his kitty tray and hold him steady while he did his business.

All fine with the dogs, though! I think my puppy had a cat allergy, but obviously, not a problem now.