Happy to answer questions and offer tips about freelance writing

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
So far I've been much more successful with nonfiction than with fiction. I have two published creative nonfiction books (from quite a while ago) and make a six-figure income as a freelance writer, focusing mainly but not exclusively on health and medicine. If anyone newer to the game has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. (I've gotten a lot of help from AW and want to give back a little.)

Freelance
website and blog: www.gabriellebauer.com

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I have asked this before, and had no reply:

What would be a logical route for a hard-core medical writer (white papers, editing med journal papers, etc.) to take to break into the consumer-related stuff.

Last edited:

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Hi TDM,
I do both hard-core medical writing and consumer health writing. I think your medical writing experience is a big asset that you can play up in your pitches to magazines, professional medical associations, etc. You can say something like, "as a medical writer for XX years, I am comfortable interpreting medical journal articles and translating scientific language into clear prose that readers understand." In your place I would make a list of all possible consumer markets and then just pitch, pitch, pitch. Literary agents may not welcome phone calls, but in my experience it's OK to call magazine editors (after an initial email approach), PR agencies, medical associations, etc. I work in Canada, so my markets my not apply to you, but they include:

• Major consumer magazines (Canadian Living, Canadian Reader's Digest, etc.)
  • Specialty consumer magazines (Canadian Snowbirds Association, Diabetes Dialogue, etc.)
  • Trade magazines (Medical Post, Canadian Healthcare Manager, etc.)
  • Pharmaceutical companies, generally via medical communications agencies: I write both physician and patient materials for them.
  • Medical associations (Diabetes Canada, Wounds Canada, Canadian Digestive Health Foundation, etc.): I write articles, patient information materials, and white papers for them.
  • Other: Hospital foundations, networks of excellence, medical clinics: I write articles and website materials for them.

Best of luck to you.

F.

willfs

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if this thread is still alive and kicking but I thought I'd ask a question and see what I get.

I am a beginning writer (maybe beginning-intermediate. I haven't published yet) wanting to find an online job that will do three things:

1. Provide compensation in the beginning, or the possibility of compensation.
2. Lead to higher compensation.
3. Hone my fiction writing skills.

I'd write low level fiction, read slush piles for short stories, screenplays...etc...

What kinds of opportunities are out there for someone like me?
Any suggestions on the places to look for such opportunities?
Any suggestions on avoiding scams and abuse from a potential employer?

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
I have some short stories i want to submit for publication but I a little scared. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to look out for?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a freelancer too, I write articles, poems, jokes, quotes, etc. but these days the markets are non-existent practically. Would you know of any markets that I could sub to? Thx and that's amazing how much you make with your writing!

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I was away in Brazil for a few months and didn't follow up on this thread. I started freelancing way before online writing took off. I found a niche and pitched to magazines, newspapers, associations, communications companies, hospitals, clinics, etc.--whoever publishes in my niche. I think there's still value in pitching to such "real-life" outlets. Newsletters are a good way to break in and, if all goes well, provide a steady income stream. I would also advise against content mills.

DifferentlySeen

Registered
Reaction score
All the sensible advice from the experienced freelance writers say avoid the content mills. I took a look, even joined Upwork and the whole experience of just looking at the website made me feel thoroughly depressed. The problem with the content mills is that the people hiring are very likely not taking you on merit but at how low your fee is. Everyone is lowballing each other so the rate just goes down and down. Screw that.

Mercurial

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for Gabrielle Bauer:. The single question is contained in the last sentence of this e mail.

I would like to get my non fiction articles published in magazines. I have gotten five articles published over the years . Only one piece was paid for. My articles have encompassed political, psychological, sexual, medical issues and more.

Often, the submission guidelines of a journal ask one to write a query letter. I however would like to submit the essay in the initial communication. THE REASON:. My credentials aren't that great. I have a law degree but no academic degrees supposedly conferring acumen in politics etc. I fear that if I only submit a query that will yield automatic rejection. The only times I have been published have been when my initial communication contained the article I wanted to get into print. To sum up:. For the above stated reasons Can I include, in the initial communication with the magazine's editors, the essay I want it to publish even though the submission guidelines state that one should only submit a query or pitch.
Thank you for your guidance.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for Gabrielle Bauer:. The single question is contained in the last sentence of this e mail.

The last sentence is: "Thank you for your guidance." :)

For the above stated reasons Can I include, in the initial communication with the magazine's editors, the essay I want it to publish even though the submission guidelines state that one should only submit a query or pitch.
Thank you for your guidance.

You can do anything you want. Just don't get mad when editors pass you up because you can't follow directions.

Jeff

Marenco

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Guys!
I'm a fresh writer that litteraly begin to learn how this market works and all.
I'm a veterinarian but would like to start work on writing business. If you guys, could give me some tips on how to freelance and to get in this world I would be most glad.
Thank you =)

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your offer to help. The last time I opened up the Absolute Write web site I was greeted with a big link talking about getting paid to write. I clicked on the link and was taken to a web site called Writers Work. The sub head is Get Paid to Write. I am hoping that since this came to me via the imprimatur of Absolute Write, that it is a totally legit operation. I clicked on the intro buttons and was greeted with a slick video. They want a one-time fee of $45.00 and say they will hook you up with many paying opportunities. Do you have any experience with this operation? Can you give me any feedback. A recent check shows that this link is displayed at the top of Absolute Write web site right now as I type this. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
mrsmig: In a direct answer to your above question . . . NO, I did not see the response I got from the AW Admin I asked on this very same question earlier that day (3/7) in its own thread. . . . I posted both questions in their own threads at the same time (one right after the other on 3/7) then waited a few days to see what responses I might get. Today I opened the AW site and was greeted with several helpful responses . . . most notably the one you cited . . . plus your comment. I hope this answers your question. I see that you are a benefactor and I just want to say thank you for being a benefactor . . . many of us have gotten great help from AW. Please know that I try to use this site as responsibly and helpfully as possible.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Freelancemomma: First of all I love your name and appreciate your offer to help newer writers. This is a follow-up on an earlier issue I raised about a link that often appears at the top of the AW forums. It's a link to a site called "Writers Work" and offers to help freelance writers find work. From another thread, we have firmly established that this is a Google ad, and in no way reflects any endorsement at all from AW. Having said that, I'm wondering if (as a savvy freelance Momma) you have ever been tempted to click on that link and scope it out to see if there might be any merit there at all. Just because it's a Google ad doesn't mean it is automatically a bad thing. I'd love to know your thoughts about that Writers Work site. Thanks for any insights you might have.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Are they charging anything? Is it just a registration that will point toward content mills? That kind of thing is not how freelancers get work.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Cornflake, you are obviously far more experience at this than I am. Please tell me what is a "content mill"? And if that kind of thing is not how freelancers get work, I would greatly appreciate it if you would tell us . . . what are the kinds of things that get freelancers work? Thanks so much for your help.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cornflake, you are obviously far more experience at this than I am. Please tell me what is a "content mill"? And if that kind of thing is not how freelancers get work, I would greatly appreciate it if you would tell us . . . what are the kinds of things that get freelancers work? Thanks so much for your help.

Google is your friend: What is a Writers/Content Mill

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I need to enter postings with only one single-minded question. Yes, I can see that Google is my friend in addressing the first part of my post, but what is my friend regarding the second half and most important part of my post? . . . "What are the kinds of things that get freelancers work?"

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I need to enter postings with only one single-minded question. Yes, I can see that Google is my friend in addressing the first part of my post, but what is my friend regarding the second half and most important part of my post? . . . "What are the kinds of things that get freelancers work?"

There's all kinds of freelancing. What are you looking for? Where is your expertise? Different markets operate differently, but in general, you pitch/query editors, or pitch copywriting to companies... or...