Cover of Suzanne Palmer's book Finder

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: FAQ: What is Contemporary Poetry?

Threaded View

When I left AW mid 2016, I was burnt out of writing. I knew at that time it was temporary because it's part of my longstanding pattern to go through times like that, but I needed to be away from it completely for a while.

One of the cool things that lured me back to poetry happened when I joined an online yoga community. The teacher would read us a poem during savasana (the corpse pose traditionally enjoyed at the end of a yoga practice.) She used a lot of Mary Oliver's poems for that and something about the deep relaxation of savasana coupled with Mary Oliver's soothing voice invited me back to poetry in a very seductive way.

Then I read the cozy mystery series by Louise Penny. Her main character Armand Gamache quotes a lot of poetry, and one of the other major characters is herself an (insulting, profane, crusty, strange but well-loved) old woman poet. The poetry Penny puts in character Ruth Zardo's mouth (and books) is by Margaret Atwood. So I recently bought and am reading a collection of her works. Not soothing at all, but satisfying in how she always cuts to the bone. Reliably.

Even more recently I have been enjoying Button Poetry's spoken word videos, a couple of which I have posted here (in the Poetry forum.)

So I am writing again, and hungry for more poetry.
    Last edited by Kylabelle; 01-19-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: where the heck did Adler come from? Good grief. Fixed.