First 5,000 words... exactly?

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
This is actually for a competition but this seems like the best place for the question since it might also be relevant for publisher submission guidelines.

If submission guidelines are for the first 5,000 words - how close to that should I be? I'm aware I shouldn't cut it off mid sentence but (for example) is 4,900 ok if that finishes at a good point such as the end of a scene or a dramatic moment? I'm looking for a sense of the leeway on 5,000. For essays at uni it always used to be +/- 10% but that seems rather a lot!

I'm actually at 4,977 for a good stopping point at the moment which is probably close enough but I'm about to edit it again and who knows where it'll be when I'm done.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pretty approximate figure. You're fine at 4977 and a good stopping place. I'd go as low as 4700 or as high as 5200 if that's what it took to stop at a reasonable spot.

Maryn, more willing to go short than long, apparently

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was querying, I'd always put a heading above the writing sample, something like "First 10 pages, rounded to a logical break." At least it indicates that you've read the instructions.

Brave Sir Robin

Registered
Reaction score
Since it is a competition and not a general submission, I would imagine being slightly under the word-count is not a problem. Anything over 4500 seems reasonable. But some competitions are strict on the cap. In your situation, I definitely wouldn't go a single word over 5k, especially since you already have a desirable stopping point before that.