Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Trailer Released

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Was just coming to post it, but you beat me to it. I am so SO excited. Like, I had tears in my eyes and goosebumps covering me from head to toe as I watched it. I have been watching the Star Wars Celebration on Youtube and enjoying it so much. Cannot wait for this movie to come out!!!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
That is one of the burning questions isn't it?

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very excited about this!

Although, I hate how early the trailers get posted these days, because now I've seen the trailer and have to wait three quarters of a year to see it in theatre.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, the marketing and hype over pretty much anything surrounding the Star Wars franchise has gotten to an order of magnitude that people slurp it up like Kool-Ade when it eventually does make it out. Of course, I was right there seeing it in my news feed when the news broke, so that makes me part of those guilty of slurping! LOL :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my GOD - the parallels are so blatant, it's almost sick. I'd fall over laughing if it wasn't so...uh, well, sad, in a way.

Markiemoo

Not Throwing Away My Shot
Registered
Reaction score
Major Star Wars fan here (and known in the fandom). I am very doubtful that it's Luke's voice saying The Jedi must end

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like Luke saying the Jedi will end; you can see his mouth move during that line. Unless they overlapped someone else's dialogue over the movement of his mouth.

It makes sense for him to say it. The Jedi and Sith represent this duality, existing in contrast and opposition to each other; if Luke has been looking for answers, searching for a means to balance the force, the answer is adopting a pluralistic view, since people are neither all good or all bad (as seen with Darth Vader) forcing them into Light and Dark/Good and Bad only widens the divide and causes disharmony. The idea that the dogmatic Jedi need to end to also bring an end to the Sith and thus balance the force is a more complex understanding of human nature and a more modern approach to storytelling.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like his voice for the first part of the sentence, though. It sounds like they've blended two statements together. (it's kind of hard to tell with Mark Hamill, as he's pretty good with altering his voice)

I'm wondering more about the "moving rocks" shot. It's framed to make it look like Rey's raising the rocks with the Force, but the way they're moving makes me think maybe it's the vibration of a landing ship. She's gone through something that leaves her gasping, maybe seen a premonition, and now there's a ship landing to make things worse.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
It seems to me the simplest answer is probably the best here: that it is Luke's voice, and that it is Ray levitating the pebbles. If it weren't Luke speaking, it would seem like trickery to no real purpose. Why would the filmmakers purposefully mislead fans that way? It would just irritate people. Besides, Luke has plenty of reason to be a bit grumpy, and in the post above Brechin gives a good explanation of why he might want the Jedi to end. I think that's his starting point and that Ray changes his mind. After all, he *does* end up training her. The trailer makes that pretty clear.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
The idea that the dogmatic Jedi need to end to also bring an end to the Sith and thus balance the force is a more complex understanding of human nature and a more modern approach to storytelling.

This is why Jolee Bindo was always my favourite Star Wars universe character.

I think that's his starting point and that Ray changes his mind. After all, he *does* end up training her. The trailer makes that pretty clear.

Or, rather than Rey changing his mind, he trains her as the first of a new breed of Force user, neither Sith nor Jedi. Neither Light nor Dark, but balanced.

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
This is why Jolee Bindo was always my favourite Star Wars universe character.

I like him. I also really like Ahsoka Tano. She has always struggled with the rigidity of the Jedi code. Her apprenticeship with Anakin shows what a well-balanced person with a lot of his personality traits would be like. Her later abandonment of the Jedi and subsequent "Grey Jedi" status also shows that one can accept both sides of their nature and still do and fight for what's right.

Or, rather than Rey changing his mind, he trains her as the first of a new breed of Force user, neither Sith nor Jedi. Neither Light nor Dark, but balanced.

I like this interpretation the best.

Whether they (the studio and creative team) are willing to diverge from the established Jedi code and the Jedi brand is a big question.

This seems like a great idea. Rey comes with her preconceived notion of Jedi, but Luke's seen what happens when you train them using the dogmatic Jedi code. Not only does it force an equally extreme opposite but when initiates can't maintain it, it pushes them to the dark side. If Anakin had been allowed to express his full range of emotion and lived a full life, he'd have been better equipped to deal with issues he faced and not forced to live so much of his life internally and hidden.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of exciting ideas floating around here, how in the world can I be expected to wait until December for this movie? I hate Disney! :Headbang:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Oh - FYI - Star Wars Day is almost upon us! :)

Enjoy your DVR on TBS

0640 a.m. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
0925 a.m. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
1220 p.m. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
1510 p.m. Star Wars: A New Hope
1740 p.m. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
2015 p.m. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Oh - FYI - Star Wars Day is almost upon us! :)

Enjoy your DVR on TBS

0640 a.m. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
0925 a.m. Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
1220 p.m. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
1510 p.m. Star Wars: A New Hope
1740 p.m. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
2015 p.m. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

better go out and by snacks tonite! i'm thinking tomorrow is Pizza day!

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I like this interpretation the best.

Same here.

Whether they (the studio and creative team) are willing to diverge from the established Jedi code and the Jedi brand is a big question.

Snoke does say in The Force Awakens that if Luke starts training again, the "new Jedi" will rise. I can see the name "Jedi" persisting, even if the meaning changes. And most people in the galaxy probably wouldn't know the difference between the old Jedi and a new kind of Force user, as long as the new ones aren't actively evil. Maybe they'll just be "New Jedi" as Snoke calls them, like the government was the "New Republic".

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
May the Fourth be With You All...

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
counting down the days... cant wait.