Pen names and Social Media

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
So I finally decided on a pen name and all. I set up a blog, and was thinking about setting up facebook or twitter also.
The reason I'm using a pen name is to keep my fiction separate from the rest of me. So, for anyone who's also using one--what do you do about profile pictures? Anything?

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I use a pen name - here, on my blog, and I have a website, a FB page and profile under it, as well as my Twitter and Google+.

I use a photo of myself on all of them, because I know some readers like knowing what the author looks like. Most of my family and friends know what I write (erotic romances) and they don't seem to mind it. I use a pen name because my real last name is quite uncommon in my province, and I'd rather not have the crazies finding me as easily.

Some authors use a photo of one of their book covers as profile and avatar photos.

Hope this helps. :)

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
1. You could use an object, rather than a face.

2. You could use yourself in disguise (big floppy hat, fake nose or beard, etc.)

3. You could use one of those apps that creates a cartoon version of your image.

4. You could take a well-known painting and photoshop some elements to go with your pseudonym, like someone I know.

Last edited:

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
You can try with one of your characters or something else that presents your pen name's handwriting.

Or simply stick to more abstract images until you discover something more descriptive ☺️

laura12

Registered
Reaction score
Like Slaven suggested, I generally go for something more abstract and neutral as well.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
The reason I'm using a pen name is to keep my fiction separate from the rest of me. So, for anyone who's also using one--what do you do about profile pictures? Anything?

Gravatar.

My profile picture is from Pixabay. I'm not talented enough to make my own. Just be sure of the licensing on any non-original image you use. If it's not public domain, at least ensure the CC license covers non-commercial or, if you intend to associate your avatar with money-making, profitable usage.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
<--- I use the avatar I have on AW.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chiming in late, but I've seen some that are photos of themselves, but they are in shadows. And I might do that someday, when I'm feeling more creative.

I went for a cartoon, even though some here thought it looked out of place. :e2cry: --However, it's been well received by my blog peeps. :tongue

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
So I finally decided on a pen name and all. I set up a blog, and was thinking about setting up facebook or twitter also.

I think it's wise to keep your personal and author lives separate.
I encourage people, even if they are not using a pen name, to use separate email addresses, and to guard their "personal" email address carefully.
I also encourage people to use a Contact form, not an email address, on their Website to reduce spam.

Regarding a profile picture, you can use a less revelatory picture if you want, perhaps using a hat, or in profile, etc.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I think it's wise to keep your personal and author lives separate.
I encourage people, even if they are not using a pen name, to use separate email addresses, and to guard their "personal" email address carefully

Absolutely. The net is full of trolls and haters. The more successful you become the more attempts will be made to harm you. Or worse your loved ones.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I {obviously) employ a nomme de plume on this site. The reason for doing that dates back several years to another site where I used my real live genuine name, and managed to get a major troll after me. I left that site permanently, with no regrets. There are all kinds of good reasons to use a pen name.

caw

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I ended up using a partial picture of my actual self on my twitter.

Elizabethlight_

Registered
Reaction score
I have my personal picture but, once I publish, I plan on using a book cover. My personal twitter account doesn't have my picture and I rarely use it anyway.

bulky

Registered
Reaction score
I use a pseudonym for my social media. The problem is when my other interests clashes with my need for anonymity. But I've found people respond better to real pictures and that I prefer connecting with potential readers as a person with a face, rather than a book cover. I keep my work and family separate from my writing. So when I finish my book, I'll probably just take a more professional image.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
I gather that if you're using a pen name, you need to have an author page in Facebook. My understanding is that an author page can be set up so that people cannot tell any personal information. They can't see your personal profile (is that the right word?) from your Author page.

My question is: can people who have access to your personal profile (WW) also see the Author page? If your family/neighbors don't know you're a writer, could they tell by looking at your personal info on Facebook?