Who's in here enroll in Kindle Unlimited ($480 million payout in 2017)?

J.T. Marsh

intemperate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jtmarshauthor.com
I'm certain Amazon will be hit with antitrust action at some point for requiring exclusivity for enrollment in KU. Restricting authors to a single retailer can't possibly be legal, ultimately.

Anyways, KU has done little for me, perhaps because I specialize in literary fiction and don't release new novels often. It seems to me if you write genre fiction (i.e. Harlequin and Silhouette type romances), write in series, and crank out books regularly it's probably worth it.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I've been experimenting a bit with going wide, but what little traction I get on other sites is peanuts compared to Amazon. My Amazon royalties are 2/3 KU, and nothing I've done to drive sales elsewhere has been effective. I pulled a fairly successful book from KU and put it up on other sites for a month. It sold 6 copies. Six. It's now back in KU because I simply can't justify keeping it wide.

The exclusivity and fluctuating rates drive me insane, but the market isn't leaving me a lot of choice.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certain Amazon will be hit with antitrust action at some point for requiring exclusivity for enrollment in KU. Restricting authors to a single retailer can't possibly be legal, ultimately.

I think they're okay legally. Authors don't have to enroll in KU. If you were forced to do it to publish on Amazon, then it would be a problem.

SeattleSounders

Registered
Reaction score
Nor is there an uproar on Kindle's own KDP forums. Complaints conveniently disappear. Kboards may not be owned by Amazon, but they have a vested interest in keeping this issue on the D&L.

Where is your source that Kboards delete threads that are unfavorable to Amazon?

If you are going to make a wild accusation, please back it up with some evidence...

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, Kboards has NOTHING absolutely no connection to Amazon whatsoever. That's a myth that's been going around for years. Kboards was created for READERS who had kindles years ago and it became a big site for writers through the years. When Harvey (the creator, R.I.P.) first created it, I don't believe they even had the Writers Cafe.

So what vested interest could Kboards have with Amazon, which it has no connection to except by using the Kindle name years ago?

I've been lurking on that board since it started and they have made it more than clear they are not connected to Amazon and they have many, many negative posts about Amazon. They show no favoritism on that front. In face if anyone has been on Kboards since 2015 you will find plenty of posts with members doing everything BUT defending Amazon. Especially KU. There is a very vocal group who have no issue sharing their dislike for KU and that's their right to do.

Kboards does delete posts but only those that are disrespectful toward posters, spam or posts that veer off the subject too much. They don't delete things just because it's negative toward Amazon. Please. If so then 50% of the posts on Kboards would not be there! :ROFL:

The Amazon community boards are connected to Amazon but the mod situation is so pitiful there everyone has left almost! It's nothing but a board of spam now.

People always suggest Kboards is associated with Amazon. This is why they changed the name from Kindle Boards to Kboards but people still are misunderstood about the forum even after all these years.

Last edited:

JennTX

Registered
Reaction score
Al X was referring to the kdp forums, which is owned by Amazon. Didn't say kboards.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
In that case of course Amazon is gonna delete negative things about them off their own boards. No surprise there even though I've seen posts there criticizing Amazon from time to time but the issue with that board is spam has taken over so I never really spent any time there. I only look on those boards when I absolutely can't find the answer to an Amazon issue somewhere else and in that regard there are still some old posts that can be helpful but that board is a mess.

The issue is when the poster mentioned Kboards has a vested interest in keeping something on the down low. That's what I think is confusing because what interest would they have if they are not connected to Amazon in the first place?

Last edited:

Erato

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have all my books enrolled in KU, but I took most of them off, and might soon take all of them down. Never got enough readership for it to be worthwhile, literally making pennies off that per-page method. I have to sell the hell out of my books to get anyone to read them as it is, I think anyone I finally appealed to will pay the $1.99 to just buy the eBook.