• False

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Some insects, like dung beetles, named for their diet o' dung, scientists have discovered, go out foraging for food at night and navigate using the night sky. The beetles look up, note their position, then trundle along to safety.

When scientists blocked the beetles' ability to see the sky, using tiny cardboard hats, the chapeaued bugs just, "rolled around and around and around in circles," according to researcher Eric Warrant.

In another experiment, the researchers placed the beetles in a room with an artificial sky projection and were able to redirect their movements by changing the position of the moon and stars.

The scientists hope their research can help the advancement of self-driving cars.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
It's not the putting them on, it's the folding the cardboard into teeny little triangles.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I think once you get the instructions down it goes faster, but you probably need tiny fingers to apply.

Heeey, if Trump is ousted...

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, why cardboard, which is heavy, bulky and probably edible, when tin-foil is the obvious choice? Yes, little, tiny tin-foil hats. 'Cause they might not be navigating by the stars, but by getting directions beamed down by aliens.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That'd be too obvious. Also, might be reflective of the moon and throw off the other beetles, see.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Lucky for us this only happens once a year. Must be something about the conflict of changing our clocks, phases of the moon, and unusual neap tides.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time buying the cardboard hat business; but since the animal kingdom is known for a number of amazing abilities, I'm going for "true" on the basic premise that some insects, including dung beetles, navigate by the stars.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oscar Wilde: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars."
Even a dung beetle can dream.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The scientists hope their research can help the advancement of self-driving cars.

Embedding a few dung beetles into the dash has to be cheaper than all that hardware & software they use now, too.

I'm guessing the hardest part will be teaching the beetles not to too closely follow neighborhood manure trucks?

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Oscar Wilde: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars."
Even a dung beetle can dream.

Awww. :e2cloud9:

Embedding a few dung beetles into the dash has to be cheaper than all that hardware & software they use now, too.

I'm guessing the hardest part will be teaching the beetles not to too closely follow neighborhood manure trucks?

I'm sorry, your neighbourhood has... manure trucks? I... do they deposit or remove??

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
This is entirely, 100%....

TRUE. Yes, including the cardboard hats.

It's actually even more ridiculous-sounding than I have here. I cut stuff out!

So, as explained in this NPR story, the beetles find some poo, roll it into a ball, then stand on the ball and dance up there, like, log rolling like, while checking out the sky, to orient themselves, before rolling their snack to safety. If they don't, they may be mugged for their poo by lazy beetles of a criminal element. I am not kidding.

Entirely true.

"They have to get away from the pile of dung as fast as they can and as efficiently as they can because the dung pile is a very, very competitive place with lots and lots of beetles all competing for the same dung," zoologist Eric Warrant from Lund told All Things Considered three years ago.

"And there's very many lazy beetles that are just waiting around to steal the balls of other industrious beetles and often there are big fights in the dung piles," he said.

After conducting an experiment in which some beetles wore cardboard hats that blocked their views of the stars, the researchers determined that "dung beetles can roll their balls of dung in straight lines by using the Milky Way as a compass queue," Warrant said. He added that the tiny waste harvester wearing the cardboard hats just "rolled around and around and around in circles. They couldn't keep a straight path."

The new findings about dung beetles' ability to take snapshots of the night sky could be significant for humans as well, el Jundi says in the statement. According to him, it could help in the "development of navigation systems in driverless vehicles."

:thankyou:

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Another useful application for driverless cars: coat your car in dung, and repel lazy, thieving no-goods, because we're not dung-beetles.;)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was thrown off by my lack of knowledge about how a compound eye could see the night sky. I have since updated my knowledge base about said eyes.

Well done indeed.