Hi! I'm querying again after a 5 year break

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am getting back in the ring after a five year break from trying to get my books traditionally published.

I've got a few short-story collections and one novel self-published, which was fun for a while, but I found that all the energy needed for self-promotion and the financial investment required to really make your sales fly was just too much for me.

So I wrote a deliberately commercial Crime Thriller to try it out with the traditional publishers again. It won a place at Penguin Random House's UK "Write Now" initiative last year and so I got all excited and thought I'd cracked it and sent it off to a few agents... and three months later I'm still waiting for a reply, any reply, from any of them.

So I've had my submission package professionally critiqued, and I've entered the book in more competitions, and I'm applying for all the free mentoring programs I can find,and I'm just about ready to query more agents.

But I find my heart heavy. It's the waiting I can't stand. The checking of an email box that fills up daily with spam and nothing else.

I remember now why I stopped querying five years ago :cry:

Hoping to make friends here x

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Don't lose hope! If there is one thing Star Wars taught us, it's that there's always hope. Even when you lose your hand and discover your father is a megalomaniac, there is hope.

And welcome to the forum!

liritha

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, NotForUsThanks and welcome to the forum!

I've recently started querying so I feel you. You sound like you're on the right track and all you have to do is be patient (easier said than done, huh?). The forum is full of people who are in the trenches of querying too, and I have found that knowing I'm not the only one has made the wait a bit more bearable. What's your novel about, if I may ask?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, NotForUsThanks.

Querying can be demoralising. We've all been there yet, like you, we all come back for more. Wishing you every success in this new round.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck. It takes time. I've had three books traditionally published and not once was it a quick process/acceptance.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome NFUST! Love the name. I feel your pain. I am back to querying​ too after I split with my ex-agent, something which is a lot more common than I realised.

It is tough in query land. Very bleak, but good news stories happen! Now is a pretty slow time for agent responses as the London Book Fair kicks off tomorrow. They're all wound up with that. Then they'll be busy with post book fair stuff. It's probably going to be quiet for a while...

Also are you checking out QueryTracker? Aaah, wait, I see you're UK based... There aren't a whole lot of UK agents on QT. So yip. My best advice: send them off and write them off... ha ha ha. Easier said than done. Uh, if I was managing that with any aplomb, I wouldn't be here. It's a lovely spot to hang out with other writers, and my querying frustration brought me here too.

Pop down to Daily Rejection, there are plenty of us sweating it out in query land.

Good luck!

TomFoskett

Get your commas here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomfoskett.com
If there's one quality I've heard listed again and again as a feature of successful writers, it's persistence. Querying is never a smooth ride, and the fact that you've come back to give it another shot says great things.

At the end of the day, it only takes one of them to say 'yes'. Just one.

Welcome to the forum, and the very best of luck with your querying!

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score
What lovely welcome messages, thank you all so much! I feel better already, this writing business can be a bit lonely, can't it.

Liritha - my book is about a frustrated artist and single mother of an autistic boy who turns to art crime to secure her families needs. I've entered it into the Crime Writer's Association Debut Dagger competition which announces its long list in May, so I'm holding off on any more submissions until then, just in case...

I'll be hanging around the Daily Rejection posts then, cheering you all on and sharing my woes and frustrations.

:tongue

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there; in some ways, I find querying and pitching harder than writing.

There's a lot to be said for willingness to revise, to try again, to keep querying.

And a lot to be said for resolve to just keep working.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I attempted the way of traditional publishing decades ago... back in the 80's, and yes, I'm that old. Back then there wasn't anything other than traditional publishing, unless you were going with a "vanity" printing. Like you I got a slew of rejection letters, then finally found an agent that would take me on, but unfortunately nothing ever came of it. I got a number of "your novel is commercially viable, but..." letters, and finally gave up.

Now I'm retired from being a Design Engineer out in Silicon Valley, and write what I like. I self published my first novel on Amazon and am quite happy with the result... not in terms of money mind you, but I'm satisfied with the work and the feedback I've received from readers. My writing back in the 80's focused on horror, which was a hot genre back then, but now I write about things that interest me. If something good comes of that I'll be happy, but I'm content with what I'm doing and am not dependent on my writing for income.

So good luck with your writing, and if you keep at it you'll get a break sooner or later.

Last edited:

Renolore

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lorettarenouf8.wixsite.com
Although we know that people are busy with possibly hundreds of manuscripts...It still blows when you don't get a response, or if you get turned down..But, on the bright side, you are here chatting with people who are in the same place you are.. and who knows, you just might find some help from us in here...

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Liritha - my book is about a frustrated artist and single mother of an autistic boy who turns to art crime to secure her families needs. I've entered it into the Crime Writer's Association Debut Dagger competition which announces its long list in May, so I'm holding off on any more submissions until then, just in case...

Sounds like a great premise, good luck with the competition!

And for all of us languishing in this arid desert called query land, I read such a heartening story today:

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/eleven-strong-queue-lido-507571

In short: Libby Page had been querying for a year, was disheartened with the rejections and was ready to... give up: "“After a year of sending The Lido to agents and receiving numerous rejections, I was close to giving up when I heard Robert was starting a new agency,” she said. “I decided to send him my manuscript—I’m so glad I did.”" He plucked her off the slush pile and has shot her to six-figure stardom! She's one of the stars of the London Book Fair.

It only takes one yes :)

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
BTW: IndianRoads, I love that you can afford to write what you want. What a privileged position to be in!

I do think it's tough to get "noticed" on Amazon for those who self-publish (I think it's one of the drawbacks - a small boat in a sea of books), but there are amazing marketing tools like BookBub which can really help heighten a book's profile (and hence increase earnings) if you get onto them.

liritha

Registered
Reaction score

And for all of us languishing in this arid desert called query land, I read such a heartening story today:

In short: Libby Page had been querying for a year, was disheartened with the rejections and was ready to... give up: "“After a year of sending The Lido to agents and receiving numerous rejections, I was close to giving up when I heard Robert was starting a new agency,” she said. “I decided to send him my manuscript—I’m so glad I did.”" He plucked her off the slush pile and has shot her to six-figure stardom! She's one of the stars of the London Book Fair.

That was so lovely to read. I've heard great things about the Caskie-Mushens agency - they're quite new, so they're actively looking for clients, I think. I read an interview with Juliet Mushens and she sounded lovely. I've sent her a query so fingers crossed.

NotForUsThanks, your premise is fascinating! It definitely sounds like something I'd want to read, good luck!

DragonInk90

Registered
Reaction score
Hi NotForUsThanks, I completely feel you. The space between sending a query and hearing a reply - any reply- is agony. But I know that even if this book isn't the right one, maybe the next one will be. I just have to keep hoping and writing the best stuff that I can.

L.E.N. Andov

Registered
Reaction score
Heya Not. I'm Andov (Anne-Dahv)

You are where I hope to be by the end of this year. Sorry to see how frustrated and discouraged you seem :( i have no reason to tell you it will get better or how soon. You know the law of large numbers, take a hundred shots to make one.

As far as your visibility goes, are you blogging, vlogging, tweeting, podcasting, etc? These are things I am interested in learning so that I can begin building my audience.

Welcome to this forum. I appreciate you sharing your your current efforts and results so far. I suppose all the hard work is part of the job of being independent. I would like to think it will all be worth it some day when you strike gold.

As busy as you are, if you are interested in joining or forming a writing group please let me know.

Cheers
(A)

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome Andov! That whole visibility thing is pertinent to self-publishing and I sucked at it. I was very active across all platforms of social media, tried to get my "brand" out there, on Goodreads, Twitter, Facebook, even Linkedin etc, but so are a million other indie writers. I hardly got any followers on anything :Shrug: It seemed to me that indie writers needed to get the readers first, then built a platform with them, then grew that platform to increase readership. And the way to get readers was to pay for services like Netgalley and do Goodreads Giveaways and pay for adverts across Amazon and Facebook, and I just didn't have the money to risk on it all. Hence me chancing my arm again with traditional publishing.

Good luck with your current wip, I look forward to following your journey :)

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score

FABULOUS story, thank you for sharing :hooray:

Caskie-Mushens are on my hit list for May

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
Hi NotForUsThanks! I feel you with the query woes!! Like AW Admin said, the querying and pitching is even harder than the act of writing the story itself! Good luck; your novel has a really interesting premise.