SOS! Cis female seeking advice

EvieDriver

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eviedriver.com
Hello! I sure hope I'm in the correct place. I've been brainstorming this madness, and I've come to realize I need fresh eyes and a different perspective. I'm what people would call cis or straight. I'm happily married with no children, so that's my very general sexual background for you. It only matters in regards to this pesky main character who deserves a strong voice. She's not exactly anything.

To begin, this character has never experienced any sort of romantic or sexual feelings for another person (except one - we'll get to that in a moment). She has quite a tragic family life, and that seems to be the heaviest explanation. So far, she's befriended a girl questioning her own sexuality. This girl has a very odd polyamorous (ish) relationship (arrangement?) with another main character who feels she may be more into women than she originally thought. In the scene, my female main protagonist abruptly kisses this girl. She does this mostly to see if she can feel anything. Their conversation piques her interest. She thinks maybe she could try to see if maybe she could feel anything for another girl.

This scene seems to be a big character moment for this protagonist because she doesn't feel anything. At least she helps the other girl discover that she is indeed not as straight as she thought in the first place. These two aren't terribly close before this, and they don't exactly try to make a relationship out of this moment. This moment is more about the fear within my protagonist that she is broken of sorts. This is a major fear she has. The only person she feels anything for is someone she doesn't think would ever feel the same way, and she uses this to prevent her from exploring her feelings for her best friend (a male).

What exactly is it when you're not exactly attracted to (as a female in this scenario) males and are not attracted to females? She's branched off into other possibilities like demisexual and even asexual. She doesn't exactly fit into any box.

My very longwinded question seems to come back to this. What exactly is this situation?

I'm asking genuinely stumped. This character is lost among a lot of things, but for some reason, her (lack) of a sexuality - and at the same time the ability to only be attracted to one specific person - seems to define her in a way I'm not familiar with. Help me please? Hopefully I've ran home with my point. I tend to babble both on and off the Internet. My apologies if something doesn't read right. I'm genuinely stumped and need thoughts!

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm what people would call cis or straight.

Firstly, cis doesn't mean straight. It means non-trans. Many trans people are also straight.

In the scene, my female main protagonist abruptly kisses this girl. She does this mostly to see if she can feel anything. Their conversation piques her interest. She thinks maybe she could try to see if maybe she could feel anything for another girl.

This scene seems to be a big character moment for this protagonist because she doesn't feel anything. At least she helps the other girl discover that she is indeed not as straight as she thought in the first place. These two aren't terribly close before this, and they don't exactly try to make a relationship out of this moment. This moment is more about the fear within my protagonist that she is broken of sorts. This is a major fear she has. The only person she feels anything for is someone she doesn't think would ever feel the same way, and she uses this to prevent her from exploring her feelings for her best friend (a male).

Well, I'm probably somewhat demisexual, so I'm not sure how true this is for purely allosexual people, but kissing a girl I'm not attracted to would be exactly as uninteresting as kissing a boy I'm not attracted to, and I'm definitely into girls.

What exactly is it when you're not exactly attracted to (as a female in this scenario) males and are not attracted to females? She's branched off into other possibilities like demisexual and even asexual. She doesn't exactly fit into any box.

She could definitely be somewhere on the ace spectrum, but that doesn't mean non-attraction to men and women. She could still have a romantic orientation to boys, girls, both, or anywhere in between.

EvieDriver

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eviedriver.com
Firstly, cis doesn't mean straight. It means non-trans. Many trans people are also straight.

Thank you! I had an (obviously skewed) vague idea what that meant. Now I know! :)

I appreciate your feedback! I'll look more into it on my break. Thank you for your time!

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes sexuality can't be neatly summed up. A lot of people spend a while questioning and figuring things out and may not feel confident that a particular label fits them.

Our society tends to treat heterosexuality as the default, so experiences that fit with heterosexuality often aren't questioned and agonized over as much whereas experiences that don't fit that expectation sometimes cause uncertainty.

When I was younger, I used to analyze my attraction and experiences a lot more. If I didn't find a particular woman hot, did that mean I wasn't bisexual? What if I didn't feel attraction to all genders equally? Ironically, this questioning caused additional doubts: what if, by thinking about it so much, I "made" myself bisexual?

Basically, if you think your sexuality might not fit into the default, it can be difficult to determine sometimes because you're not going to be attracted to everyone. You might experiment with someone but not get any answers from it because you're just not that into the person.

That's not to say this is a huge conflict for everyone, because it's not. It depends on the person.

Is your character trying to figure out her sexuality or what label fits her best? Or is this something that you're mainly trying to figure out in order to understand the character better.

The thing is, labels can be somewhat fluid. Some people are only attracted to men, no exceptions. Some people are only attracted to women. Some people are never attracted to anyone. A lot of people fall along spectrums, and there are labels that recognize that: bisexual, pansexual, demisexual, etc. The boundaries of these labels are sometimes subjective.

You basically have a character who's not 100% straight and who isn't attracted to very many people (which could mean she's on the asexual spectrum, depending on why she doesn't feel much). This is pretty common, but how the character would label herself, and what conclusions she's draws from her experiences, is more subjective.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

To begin, this character has never experienced any sort of romantic or sexual feelings for another person (except one - we'll get to that in a moment). She has quite a tragic family life, and that seems to be the heaviest explanation. ...

You'll want to clarify whether this character is asexual in orientation, or if she has some psychological impediment to expressing her innate sexuality.

An orientation, such as demisexual, is not psychologically abnormal. And a psychologically traumatized person may not experience blocks in their physical attraction/non-attraction to other people.

Of course, there can be a complicated interplay of both an asexual orientation and the psychological after-effects of a personal trauma, but you will need to manage the character's whole profile accordingly and intentionally.

There are a number of ways asexual people have been culturally, sexually, and financially abused. Including, but not limited to:

- You just haven't met the *right* person! Go on a blind date with my friend - she'll cure you!

- We can *fix!* you if you would just sign yourself into our intensive re-education program.

- How do you know you don't like sex until you've tried it with Me?

If you're not clear about the line between this character's innate core sexuality and her past life baggage, your narrative may suffer (along with your readers).

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as an asexual/aromantic virgin:

If her lack of interest was due to her trauma, then it seems like she wouldn't be interested in him either, and regaining her interest enough to be attracted to him seems like it would mean that she would also regain her interest enough to be attracted to other men (and women, depending on whether she's hetero- or bisexual)

Demisexual (hetero or bi) orientation makes more sense to me than traumatic symptomology.

Flannel

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm probably somewhat demisexual, so I'm not sure how true this is for purely allosexual people, but kissing a girl I'm not attracted to would be exactly as uninteresting as kissing a boy I'm not attracted to, and I'm definitely into girls.

As a non-ace lesbian, kissing a woman I'm not attracted to is exactly as uninteresting to me as kissing a man.

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Flogging a dead horse here, but as a pansexual woman who's a mega flirt and EXTREMELY sexual, even I get absolutely nothing out of kissing someone I'm not attracted to.

As for the character's orientation, it really depends on whether the lack of interest is psychological trauma based or if it's just plain asexual spectrum. Sounds like demi or gray ace to me, and depending on the character's interest or lack thereof when it comes to romantic relationships, could be that she's aromantic and confusing it with asexuality due to cultural rejection of non-romantic sexuality, especially considering the trauma issue.

The ace and aro spectrums can be pretty difficult to figure out even without a psychological issue muddying the waters. And it's unfortunately pretty easy in our culture to just assume that psychological trauma can determine your orientation, even though that's not at all how it works.

For example, I was abused as a child and date-raped as a teen by another woman, and had some pretty bad issues for a while; but still far prefer women even though I'm open to anyone. I still have vivid nightmares that I wake up from screaming, more than 20 years after my childhood abuse, and it still never affected my sapphic tendencies.

It's unfortunately a pretty common stereotype that abuse can turn women lesbian or asexual, but when it comes right down to it, it doesn't change how you feel and think, it just changes how you allow yourself to act. It can make someone suppress their desires, but they're still there under the surface somewhere and eventually they'll make themselves known.