• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas needed for YA Sci-Fi (can swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marleene

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who can read through a YA novel I've written. I would like to get opinions on the story line, the characters and the readers overall impression of the book.

Book's genre: YA - Sci-Fi (aimed for older YA readers)
Word count: about 66k words
Completed: Yes
Sex scenes: none
Violence/cursing: Yes
Number of beta readers I want: 2-5 (or as many as I can get, the more the better).

Title: Purebred

Info:
Sixteen-year-old Daric must choose one of two paths in life: slavery or torture. That's what you get when you're bred in a human kennel.

When companies secretly breed people for sport and slavery, a purebred like Daric has little hope of a bright future, and he knows it too. Still, he spent his entire childhood preparing for the tests that will tell him where in the company he will spend the rest of his short life. Doing bad will force him into slavery. Doing well might send him to fight for entertainment.

When the tests ultimately reveal that Daric is something of a protégé, he’s sent somewhere much worse. The breeding facility, where he will be forced to bring forth more offspring, until the day his body gives up from constant torture. This is a fate Daric cannot accept, and he abandons his best friend, and allies with an unreliable fighter to escape his destiny. But his actions lead to consequences that not only put his best friend’s life at risk, but that of an entire human rights group too. Now, Daric must fight to rescue his friend’s life – even if it means confronting his greatest fears and betraying the only people who can give him what he seeks, freedom.

What I wish the beta reader to help me with: I am mainly searching for companionable beta reader who can help me make sure that the story has a nice pace and flow without plot-holes. Also need input on character development and overall plot. Is there enough information about the world, backstory etc. Does one understand the setting and the way everything works. If not, what is missing and what parts are unclear.

Grammar, spelling etc is not my main concern at this point. So mostly I need a friend who is interested in YA fiction and my story, who can provide me with useful feedback about what they do and do not like so I can make this story the best it can be.

Other info: If you have a manuscript you want someone to read, I'm happy to return the favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.