possible comic idea, has anyone seen...

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
...a sex-changing manga (e.g., Ranma 1/2) where the LI turns out to be bi- or pansexual? It seems like it would be a fun twist on the usual confusion to have the LI go, "Oh, you're a boy AND a girl? That's cool." (It's probably been done in doujinshi, but I haven't seen one in an actual published title, at least not in translation.)

Dreamsage

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm can you give a little more details? Sounds like fun, but tricks like that are attention-grabbers and vehicles to make a bigger story or a wider topic to move forward. Or so I've read.

AliceL

New Fish; Learning About [REDACTED]
Registered
Reaction score
Haha its an interesting idea. I don't think I've heard anything about something like that being done on the mainstream yet. Lemme know how you keep developing this idea if you decide to stick with it

Geoff Weber

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen that, but I haven't read a lot of manga... regardless, if its a story you want to tell than write it! No one can tell the exact story you want to tell!

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm can you give a little more details? Sounds like fun, but tricks like that are attention-grabbers and vehicles to make a bigger story or a wider topic to move forward. Or so I've read.
It depends... often in these manga/anime, it's mainly the vehicle for an extended series of increasingly unlikely coincidences (most of the ones I've seen have been played mostly as slapstick). This is still just a vague shower idea at the moment, but I can see several potential directions, some of which would depend on whether the LI is a specific gender - for instance, a pregnancy storyline could make things REALLY complicated for the MC, particularly depending on what triggers the change (like Ranma is changed by getting wet, for instance). Would the change just not happen, or would they have to avoid whatever the trigger is for nine months or more?