Something For Your To-Do List

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The University of Washington (my alma mater *preens*) is teaching a seminar this spring quarter called Calling Bullshit In the Age of Big Data. The best part is, "Members of the general public can follow the course syllabus, including readings and recordings of lectures, at the course’s website."

The website alone is a mine of information, between the syllabus, the Tips and Tools and, Case Studies, which provide some interesting examples. So, anyone interested in following along the course, or recommending the course to anyone *cough* teen family members *cough* here you go. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That looks like an interesting course. Someone at my own campus had a critical thinking course for a while called something like "quacks and charlatans" or something like that, but the faculty member has since left, and no one else has been interested in teaching the class.

My husband was on the curriculum committee when the course was being approved here, and it actually had some opposition from a few people on the less scientific side of campus. One (now retired) prof in particular was upset that there would be time spent on debunking things like astrology and homeopathy, things he personally subscribed to. It was about the only interesting discussion that the curriculum committee ever had.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Lol @ the disclaimer.

The course sounds interesting, in fact. Thanks for the link.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
This is an elective I would have loved to have taken during my college years...