• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Writing buddy. YA SF/F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
I've had some luck coming here in the past so I thought I would try again :) I'm a bit rusty as life has gotten in the way of my writing countless times but I'm hoping to find someone to do a swap with or a skype chat here and there maybe bi-weekly to help each other out. My goal of finishing the second draft by the end of 2016 has fallen short so I'm now aiming for summer of 2017.

-YA
-Sci-fi/Fantasy, more leaning towards Sci-fi.
-Currently 51k words. I had a previous writing buddy so I'm rewriting most of the story currently. Sort of at the 1.5 draft stage I guess but I found my motivation is down so reading someone else's MS and getting some feedback would be a huge boost. Last draft ended around the 65-70k word mark.
-Open to reading anything except erotica really. It's just not my thing.

I find a chapter by chapter swap works well. It allows both people to not have to rush and then add comments and suggestions as you go.

If you're interested let me know :) Thanks.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm also looking for a potential reading-swappy situation. I'm always a bit hesitant to respond to posts like these that don't give other members at least a taste of what your book is about. Maybe give us a short blurb or query-in-progress to lure us in? :)

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to set up my email notifications >.> Went away for a month and missed a few people's PM's. Sorry to anyone that responded but I'm back now and it's set up to notify of a response.

One sentence summary: A goddess recruits a group of teens to prevent a future war.

Finding a good excerpt seems to be a little tricky as I chopped the chapters into different scenes following different characters. Then the scenes mix together into the one plot. Not sure if that's a good way to do it or not but my last WB said it worked. The first book is supposed to set the foundation with a large cast and then subsequent ones follow only two or three of them.

Here's a random cut and paste from chapter six :p

Artemis wriggled along the air duct up to the vent overhanging the jail cells. Pressing her face against the screen revealed a gruesome sight. Circuit and Seth stood over the body of Joseph. Her stomach lurched.
“Clean this up,” said Circuit. “And take this up to my office.”
Seth flinched as a severed hand came flying towards him. “Did you really have to kill him? Corporal Vec saw him earlier, and so did Artemis.”
“Try to pull that ring off.”
“It’s stuck,” said Seth while tugging at the index finger. “Seriously. How are you going to cover this one up?”
“Just set a hologram up in the cell.”
“Then what? That might buy us twenty-four hours at best.”
“Then we collect his little friends.” Said Circuit. “Two of them are orphans anyways. It won’t be that hard to silence all the witnesses.”
“Are you listening to yourself?” Seth grabbed Circuit’s shoulders and shook him. “You’re sounding a lot like Killswitch.”
“We don’t kill them. We use them.”
“How do we use a bunch of seventeen year old kids?”
“Aimee said….”
Seth shook him again. “No! Stop it with the, ‘I can talk to god’, crap. Do you want to wear a straitjacket for the rest of your life?”
“They’re future soldiers.” Circuit kicked Joseph’s foot. “Even this one.”
“You’ve lost it!” Seth tossed the hand. It hit the aged Techie on the check before landing to the ground with a thud. “Clean up your own god damned mess.”

If anyone is interested let me know :) I can probably do a Skype call once a week and a few hours here and there to read/critique.

Thanks again!

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
I have returned and am still seeking a writing buddy. I figured I would try to revive this post again as to save some time typing. Current rewrite is now complete, looking for someone to read and critique.

Next rewrite has already been planned but after I can find someone for a quick swap.

zoli1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can commit to the Skype stuff but I'm happy to read and critique.

Alzarakh

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a MS for a swap you'd like me to read? PM me and we can work on the details. :)

j_catalyst

Registered
Reaction score
I got some free on my hands and would love to find a good read. Preferably YA or NA romance, suspense, or humor.

Email me if you would like another pair of eyes for your story.

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.