The Kink that dares not speak its name -- MPREG!

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While searching for erotica markets, I was surprised to find one erotic romance publisher accepts MPREG -- male pregnancy -- stories. (For those who are wondering what that is, an explanation is here: http://jezebel.com/what-exactly-is-mpreg-a-male-pregnancy-enthusiast-expl-1651553874 )

Having read fanfic for decades, I know it's been a common, if often derided, trope. There have also been some self-published works featuring it, and many are also on Archive of Our Own, which I peruse. Seeing it breaking, or trying to break, into the mainstream like this, however, is giving me a little thrill.

Any other fans or writers or writers of it?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not my thing, but long ago, I knew a woman on Prodigy who wrote it, quite poorly. She liked to not only have men be pregnant, but specific celebrities. Now that you've reminded me, I'll have to see if she upped her game or self-published any of her stuff.

Maryn, who still remembers her Prodigy user number SPTH06B

scandalys

Registered
Reaction score
NMK, but I'd honestly be surprised if the more general omegaverse trend didn't, uh, give birth to an mpreg one.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I know my publisher deals with MPreg. I've not written any, but Lynn Kelling, who I've done a shared world project with, has. :)

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
NMK, but I'd honestly be surprised if the more general omegaverse trend didn't, uh, give birth to an mpreg one.

In the fanfic world, mpreg predates the popularity of omegaverse, which is more of a niche kink that arose from mpreg and werewolf tropes.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If they don't specify that they don't take it, they probably do. The Goodreads Mpreg list has over 1800 titles. I see a lot of publishers represented on there. I personally don't read it but come across it constantly on Kindle.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
There are TONS of self-published authors writing MPREG. It's been a big thing since 2014. Now, it's one of those tropes that can be a $$ maker if you hit all the right angles. If not done right, it can bomb bad.

I also know a couple of publishers that accept it: I think it's becoming more acceptable because publishers see how well self-pubs are doing with it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
"The Kink that dares not speak it's name"? These days the Kinks that dared not speak their names have web-sites and bloggers. ;) I think that whatever you're interested in, there's a place for it somewhere. As proven by this thread - esp. the Goodreads numbers.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"The Kink that dares not speak it's name"? These days the Kinks that dared not speak their names have web-sites and bloggers. ;) I think that whatever you're interested in, there's a place for it somewhere. As proven by this thread - esp. the Goodreads numbers.

Rule 34 of the internet. There are no exceptions. At least not for long. :)

Last edited:

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I personally don't like reading mpreg at all, but I LOVE a lot of the tropes that often come along with it. Omega/alpha relationships, claiming, etc. Which requires a lot of skimming past certain paragraphs.

I've never actually read an mpreg story outside of fanfic though.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I find it interesting that mpreg is only men being impregnated by men or by aliens or something, but not (apparently) by women. Is true role reversal still too kinky?

It has nothing to do with it being kinky, it has to do with the majority of the fandom being gay romance fans who don't want to see a female main character.

Me, I've been a fan of mpreg for many years, and I'm also an omegaverse fan, but I generally prefer the variations where the one who gets pregnant is essentially a hermaphrodite who identifies as male, or a male who has been physically converted into a hermaphrodite, rather than a normal male who somehow magically becomes pregnant with no plausible biological or magical explanation.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, this concept does not compute. Concept does not compute. Concept does not compute.

but I generally prefer the variations where the one who gets pregnant is essentially a hermaphrodite who identifies as male, or a male who has been physically converted into a hermaphrodite, rather than a normal male who somehow magically becomes pregnant with no plausible biological or magical explanation.

*ahem*

*politely reminds the room that there are plenty of perfectly "normal" men who can and do get pregnant in real life*

Last edited:

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to read a contemporary book that included that in a realistic way. Without all the paranormal gubbins (or Arnold flipping Schwarzenegger).

There must be some already, no?

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Storm Constantine's Wraeththru series has hermaphrodites who become pregnant, and lay eggs ("pearls") in the story. OK, they're hermaphrodites, not men, but they are written as young, gay, men, with the clothing and makeup of male goths in 1980s England. No boobs; they don't nurse. They don't swell up either, only become a little tired, and where their eggs actually come out of, it's anyone's guess. The babies look like toddlers already and can eat by themselves and run around. The whole series is like a dream wish for a certain kind of woman (or man.) Can you tell that I loved it?

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
*ahem*

*politely reminds the room that there are plenty of perfectly "normal" men who can and do get pregnant in real life*
There are some cis males out there who really wish they were able to get pregnant who would like to complain that even if some men can, it's not enough of a "plenitude" to include them.