'The Expanse'

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
So many people have recommended this to me and hubby, and we've tried two (or three?) times to get into it but cannot make it past a few episodes. Too many storylines to follow, four different settings plus space, lots of 'rules' to learn and cultural stuff...

But now with stay-at-home continuing on for a while here in California, we are batting around the idea of trying again. Again. I do believe we'd enjoy it if we could get hooked by it, but I don't know how to accomplish being hooked by it.

We made it up to the episode on Earth with the UN representative, a woman. Not sure if that was past episode four (might have been episode three?)

So, I'm curious if there are pieces of advice or encouragement... We'd love to be addicted to this but not sure how much we need to watch to get there. We're almost through Travelers and need to start fishing around for another series. Should we poke around on wikipedia to learn the cliff notes first? Did anyone else have trouble getting into it but then love it?

???

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
So many people have recommended this to me and hubby, and we've tried two (or three?) times to get into it but cannot make it past a few episodes. Too many storylines to follow, four different settings plus space, lots of 'rules' to learn and cultural stuff...

But now with stay-at-home continuing on for a while here in California, we are batting around the idea of trying again. Again. I do believe we'd enjoy it if we could get hooked by it, but I don't know how to accomplish being hooked by it.

We made it up to the episode on Earth with the UN representative, a woman. Not sure if that was past episode four (might have been episode three?)

So, I'm curious if there are pieces of advice or encouragement... We'd love to be addicted to this but not sure how much we need to watch to get there. We're almost through Travelers and need to start fishing around for another series. Should we poke around on wikipedia to learn the cliff notes first? Did anyone else have trouble getting into it but then love it?

???

I was completely turned off by the first episode the first time I watched it. But by the second or third episode, I was hooked.

I'm not one for complex plot lines and I haven't had any problems. The characters' paths cross and the plot converges as the show goes on.

It might not be for you and your husband. It happens. It's okay. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm now thinking if I treat it like a class assignment, where I take notes for 'writing craft' stuff, I might be able to get to the point where I enjoy it.

I do believe we would. It sounds exactly up our alley.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I found it a very slow-burn in the first season. Had I not read the books, and known where the story was going, I might not have stuck with it.

For me, episode 4 "CQB" of season 1 is where the plot really starts to gel and show a direction. Before that, yeah, a fair bit of wandering and set up.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score

???

I loved it from the get go and knew it was just up my alley.

Maybe it's just not your cup of tea. Everybody's taste is different. TV entertainment should not be hard work, if it's not doing it for you, there is nothing wrong in packing it in.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
For me, episode 4 "CQB" of season 1 is where the plot really starts to gel and show a direction. Before that, yeah, a fair bit of wandering and set up.

+1

That's the one that kicked it into gear, when you start seeing the crew coalesce and where they pick up the ship.

I'd suggest sticking through that one, and if it still doesn't click for you... well, there's nothing wrong with that. There are tons of SF shows out there these days, most of them very high quality, and not all of them will click with all viewers. Doesn't make you less of a fan to not care for some of them.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll suggest we try it up to episode 4, 5, or 6. I've scanned through the episode descriptions for most of season one, and it looks like there are only three main characters. Maybe since we only watched to episode ~three, that explains why I found it so disjointed. I think if we have a cheat sheet (from the episode descriptions), until we know the characters, that'll help too.

If it weren't for the stay-at-home orders I'd probably not bother. There's three of us and we're watching way more in the evenings, now, than beforehand. Finding something we all agree on isn't always easy, and this title keeps swirling in the background of our conversations. Four seasons is a real point in its favor.

We're finishing second run through of Supernatural and Travelers. Recently finished Merlin. Have not yet dialed up Picard. (I did not care for the Mandalorian and am feeling a bit over-done on the mega franchises.) So... this should fit the bill.

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you want a real cheat sheet, read the book; some elements are changed and shuffled, but it sticks fairly close to the arc. (And all changes are approved of by the authors, who are on staff.) The first season of the show covers about half of the first book.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a real cheat sheet, read the book; some elements are changed and shuffled, but it sticks fairly close to the arc. (And all changes are approved of by the authors, who are on staff.) The first season of the show covers about half of the first book.

Frankly, I thought the show made sensible, good changes to some of the characters. In the novels, IMO of course, the women were more two-dimensional than in the show.

They also got lucky (or had very good screeners) in some of the actors they have. Shohreh Aghdashloo is a damned miracle as Chrisjen Avasarala, and Wes Chatham owns the part of Amos like no one else I could imagine. Oh, and Thomas Jane as Miller is most of why I stuck with the first three episodes of season 1.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Frankly, I thought the show made sensible, good changes to some of the characters. In the novels, IMO of course, the women were more two-dimensional than in the show.

This. I liked the first book a lot, but Naomi was pretty cardboard, and the crew got along far too well.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of Joe Miller as Barney Miller is helping marginally.

ETA: The appearance of Supernatural's Death as Vargas in Episode 1 also helps marginally. Death was killed last night in SN (Billy the reaper later showed up.)

Last edited: