'The Expanse'

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Excellent. And hopefully they'll do a blu-ray release as well; even buying high-def from iTunes isn't as pretty as the blu-ray. :)

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
This is great news. I hope Amazon do a better job of promotion. I think its lack was part of SYFY's problem in their comparative low audience turnout.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Excellent. And hopefully they'll do a blu-ray release as well; even buying high-def from iTunes isn't as pretty as the blu-ray. :)

I pre-ordered the S3 Blu-Ray already, and am considering upgrading my S1 and S2 discs as well. (Sorta my way of thanking Amazon...) There's also talk that there's going to be a little more merchandising, which is kinda a no-brainer as that's where a lot of franchise money comes from.

This is great news. I hope Amazon do a better job of promotion. I think its lack was part of SYFY's problem in their comparative low audience turnout.

Also part of the problem was/is SyFy's adherence to the old "live numbers are the only numbers that count" business model, when so many people DVR things. (According to the insider who helped rally and direct the fans, Cas "Alex Kamal" Anvar, apparently DVR only counts if it's viewed within 3 days, which completely ignores the many people who save up several eps or even a whole season for binge-watching.) IMHO, the whole Nielsen system needs to go, or at least adapt to how people consume media in the modern age; too many good shows get the ax too soon because of over-reliance on them.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Also part of the problem was/is SyFy's adherence to the old "live numbers are the only numbers that count" business model, when so many people DVR things. (According to the insider who helped rally and direct the fans, Cas "Alex Kamal" Anvar, apparently DVR only counts if it's viewed within 3 days, which completely ignores the many people who save up several eps or even a whole season for binge-watching.) IMHO, the whole Nielsen system needs to go, or at least adapt to how people consume media in the modern age; too many good shows get the ax too soon because of over-reliance on them.

In SyFy's defense, they don't get any monetary benefit when I buy the show off iTunes. I wouldn't expect viewers like me to affect their decision.

Having said that, strong dl/streaming numbers should have shown them that the show was worth some marketing muscle.

Oh, well; their loss. I'm just glad it's got a new home.

(Although can we talk about the gross head explosion stuff? Because ew. :D)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
SPEAKING OF WHICH, spoilers:

MillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMillerMiller

!!!

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe by the time Amazon broadcasts S4, they will opt for a universal, or near universal, broadcast coverage.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
(Although can we talk about the gross head explosion stuff? Because ew. :D)

Exactly. Haven't seen that much gore in a spaceship cabin since Scorpious sent Peacekeeper pilots through a wormhole in Farscape... (Spoiler Alert: didn't go well for the pilots... unless you like your Peacekeepers in liquid form.)

Awesome FX, though - and they did a great job playing that storyline through the ep. They've always been great at making even small parts into whole characters.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, ....
!!!

I know, right? I mean, it was in the books, but awesome to see it happening on the show...

Am also loving the growth/shift in character dynamics all around. Particularly Naomi; she is a different person away from the Roci, and I think even she's trying to figure out what it means to be a Belter as the power dynamics shift.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I especially enjoy a space opera where Newtonian physics is adhered too. Warp drives, gravity fields, and magic shields are so overused.

I was actually ready to ding them on that a couple of weeks ago, but last week they were all asking "Why was the ship unharmed when the pilot got slammed into pulp?" and now I love them again. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Mildly spoiler-y question: Is the Naomi/Drummer thing made clear in the books, or subtext added for the TV show? Because it's nicely done.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mildly spoiler-y question: Is the Naomi/Drummer thing made clear in the books, or subtext added for the TV show? Because it's nicely done.

I haven't read up to the character in the books (she's an import from later in the series) to see if it's from them or another TV show tweak, though I figured some manner of relationship (or potential for one, at least) was hinted at on Tachi Station (the Naomi/Drummer bonding sequence, with the handball game and dancing.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I haven't read up to the character in the books (she's an import from later in the series) to see if it's from them or another TV show tweak, though I figured some manner of relationship (or potential for one, at least) was hinted at on Tachi Station (the Naomi/Drummer bonding sequence, with the handball game and dancing.)

The handball/dancing stuff is straight from LEVIATHAN WAKES (and happens right before Naomi makes a pass at Holden), but Naomi wasn't, shall we say, particularly dimensional in the book. But yeah, I noticed it in that scene on the show as well.

There've been a number of moderate departures from the books that I've quite liked, now that I think about it, and not just pulling Avasarala into the first story arc.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The handball/dancing stuff is straight from LEVIATHAN WAKES (and happens right before Naomi makes a pass at Holden), but Naomi wasn't, shall we say, particularly dimensional in the book. But yeah, I noticed it in that scene on the show as well.

There've been a number of moderate departures from the books that I've quite liked, now that I think about it, and not just pulling Avasarala into the first story arc.

Yeah, it's been a while since I read the earlier stuff... and I generally prefer the characters on the show. The books are good and all, but character depth... not necessarily the authors' forte.

(ETA - On rewatch the other night, no doubt about it: Naomi and Drummer definitely had a Thing going on, at least in show context. I don't recall anything of the sort from the books, though as I said before, it's been a while since I read them, and the books focus more on the Roci crew and Nolden relationship-wise anyway.)

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, that season finale was a true spectacle - all the sweeter because there's more to come. (Story arc wise, it wouldn't have been a terrible place to leave it, I suppose - it certainly had a finale feel, which makes me wonder if someone behind the scenes had an itch between the shoulder blades where SyFy would plant the knife, and wrote/filmed accordingly.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yeah, that season finale was a true spectacle - all the sweeter because there's more to come. (Story arc wise, it wouldn't have been a terrible place to leave it, I suppose - it certainly had a finale feel, which makes me wonder if someone behind the scenes had an itch between the shoulder blades where SyFy would plant the knife, and wrote/filmed accordingly.)

It was not a bad place to end it, was it? And I'm so very glad they didn't.

I'm also so very happy they didn't kill off Drummer. :D

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Erm what do we do now? What can I watch that will fill my aching heart?

Rewatch S1 - 3, on DVD or Amazon Prime.

Read or reread the books and novellas. (I started Book 5 literally right after turning off the TV; it's helping, plus I'm deliberately taking it slow. For now. Resolve may break without warning and I'll inhale it like sweet fresh air.)

Follow cast and crew and writers on Twitter or other social media.

Write fanfic in your head.

Turn creative with fanart or other projects.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Rewatch S1 - 3, on DVD or Amazon Prime.

Read or reread the books and novellas. (I started Book 5 literally right after turning off the TV; it's helping, plus I'm deliberately taking it slow. For now. Resolve may break without warning and I'll inhale it like sweet fresh air.)

Follow cast and crew and writers on Twitter or other social media.

Write fanfic in your head.

Turn creative with fanart or other projects.

I've not read any of the books. I might try again though. I started Leviathan Awakes and stopped finding it hard to read when I knew the outcome.
Rewatching the eps is a good call. We already have prime.

I do follow on twitter (and I litsen to both The Churn and Beltalowda podcasts)

Is there any good fanfic and fan art around you can direct me too? I'm not good at eother but will happily consume some.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've not read any of the books. I might try again though. I started Leviathan Awakes and stopped finding it hard to read when I knew the outcome.
Rewatching the eps is a good call. We already have prime.

There are enough differences between book and show that they read almost more like parallel universes in some ways. It's interesting seeing what was changed and adapted for the screen.

As for fanac, I admit I'm more at the shallow end of the fan pool, more a whispering spark-sparrow than a screaming firehawk, though I may end up wading deeper as the season gap progresses. (Fannish nature being what it is...) I'll admit there is an evil little demon in my head that wants to write a parody fanac coloring book series to go with the show: the Amos Burton Book of Friendship could be amusing, and would come with extra red crayons. I don't think Chrisjen Avasalara's First F***ing Book of Politics would make it past the censors, though her wardrobe would make for great coloring material... Just as well I lack ambition. ;)

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Erm what do we do now? What can I watch that will fill my aching heart?

Brightdreamer has good suggestions. :) We've been rewatching the earlier seasons, and I'm really pleased it holds up so well to repeat viewings. There have been lots of shows I've loved that just aren't that interesting in reruns, but this one loses nothing just because I know where it's going.

I'm also reading the books, which I'd been avoiding before. Just started ABADDON'S GATE. I prefer the TV show for a lot of reasons, but the books are entertaining (and fairly quick) reads.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished the Season 3 finale... this show just keeps getting better.

I have to appreciate any story that can keep pushing the envelope like the Expanse has. So glad Amazon picked this up for Season 4.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Finally finished the Season 3 finale... this show just keeps getting better.

I have to appreciate any story that can keep pushing the envelope like the Expanse has. So glad Amazon picked this up for Season 4.

Agreed. Looking forward to where they go from here. They've already mentioned that the switch will give them a little more creative control - "the gloves will come off", to paraphrase the wording. (They'd made no secret how SyFy's restrictions on language and graphic content had chafed.) With other teams I'd be worried it would degenerate into a blood-soaked orgy, but with this crew... gonna be good.

(Though if S4 opens with Julie Mao waking in the shower, a Monster-a-Go-Go voiceover telling the audience that "there was no protomolecule... no thing called a 'ring gate'", and little Jimmy Holden at the breakfast table telling his mom about this really weird dream, I can promise them There Will Be Pain...)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just started the second season on Netflix and I'm loving it! This is everything I wanted on a SF show. I'm bummed they only have two seasons, though.

I wish I could place his accent...

It sounded like South African to me, which I mostly know from District 9.

In what magical land are you that you can get both the Expanse and Discovery through a Netflix subscription? :)

I think this is the case for Netflix outside the US since many US-based streaming services aren't available or profitable. My friend was surprised when I told him Netflix here also has many FX shows.