Genre Assistance Needed!

Gabbitrabbit

Registered
Reaction score
Hello writers!

I've been working on a story I'm quite excited about. I consider it a space western, as it has a western vibe, but takes place in space. It deals with xenophobia as well, which isn't as common in classic westerns. Unfortunately, I haven't seen space western listed as a genre in itself.

I'm not sure what genre this falls into, and I'd like to figure it out so that I can visit the proper places to find beta readers/agent/editor/etc.

What do you guys think? what might be a good way to label such a story?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Sci-fi westerns have been around for some time , Michael Crichton's Westworld and Stephen king's The gun slinger to name just two

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
Since your story takes place "in space" and, the ISS apart, mankind isn't living there yet, I'd say you're definitely writing SF. A great many broad story arcs lend themselves to different genres: Historical, Western, Dystopian, Steampunk etc. One of the best examples of this is the movie "Outland," which took the plot and story arc of "High Noon" and transferred it to a future mining colony on Titan. Similarly, "The Magnificent Seven" was a transposition to a Western setting of Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," originally set in medieval Japan.
In most commercial novels, at the most basic level, there are good guys and bad guys and the story is about how the good struggles against and finally overcomes the bad, or not. That's a huge generalisation and over-simplification, I admit, not worth an argument, but I've found it to hold true over the last sixty, or so years of reading. My point is that the basic human conflict, the struggle against the bad, features in novels irrespective of genre. And before anyone starts throwing titles such as "The Martian" at me, there is a bad guy, even in that. His name is Mars.

Last edited:

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
Sci-Fi. Star Wars is very much a "space western."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, for all of these comments, but in terms of pitching a work to an agent, would anybody call The Gunslinger a category "Western" genre novel? Now, I know it was Stephen King, who didn't need any longer to worry about such stuff, but how does an unpublished writer characterize something like that?

What actually constitutes a "Western" novel these days? Is anything simply set in, say, the latter half of the 19th century and involving rural western America automatically a "Western", from an agent's or publisher's viewpoint?

caw

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, for all of these comments, but in terms of pitching a work to an agent, would anybody call The Gunslinger a category "Western" genre novel? Now, I know it was Stephen King, who didn't need any longer to worry about such stuff, but how does an unpublished writer characterize something like that?

What actually constitutes a "Western" novel these days? Is anything simply set in, say, the latter half of the 19th century and involving rural western America automatically a "Western", from an agent's or publisher's viewpoint?

caw
This is necro-posting but...
This strikes me as a good hook to hang a discussion on. It's an old one with no final answer, but it sure is handy for stirring up the brain cells.

I don't do King. I don't do horror, so King doesn't... nevermind. I did take a look at Gunslinger and simply didn't get it. It stayed jumbled in my thinking, so I gave it up. Star Wars as Western? Hell, yeah. But...

IMHO, if there's no solid terra firma (accent on Terra) underfoot, it ain't really a Western. What about "Cowboys and Aliens"? Lots of terra firma. Maybe, but all the Indians, swinging doors, and false front buildings on this planet won't save the movie (or graphic novel) from being Sci Fi in an odd setting.

L'Amour's "Crossfire Trail" has action at sea, but still very much qualifies as a western.

So. Gotta be on Earth, and not a flying machine, or flying saucer in sight.

Late 19 C.? Pretty much all of the tropes (cattle, bad guys, injuns with bad intent, sod busters, etc.) start to come apart as 20 C. takes over. Early 19 C. - is it the remainder of late 18 C.? Mountain men, yes. Trappers and the like, yes. But all of the pieces aren't there yet.

Gotta be late 19 C.

Rural western America... that's the hard one. Anything towards the Mississippi and east is something other than Western. Sacketts, Josie Wales, scores of others "go west" from "Kaintuck" and near any place that doesn't have cactus and coyotes. But as a full time setting? Nah. Even river boats may figure in a story, but never leave the river? Nah.

Here's a side point to consider. Depending on who's writing the list, it's plausible to argue Florida(!) has the most "cowboys". Originally, they were called "crackers" from using bullwhips a lot (and dogs) to move cattle around. As best I can find out, it isn't until maybe 1890+, but more in the early 20 C. lassos, riattas, whatever show up. But for shear number of people working cattle, Florida isn't so off the wall. And they even had false front stores!

So. A vote for western US.

Think about Quigley Down Under. Wrong voices, wrong first people, wrong architecture, wrong lots of things, but the story's about right as it gets (IMHO). Australia has the drover tradition, and it mirrors the US west in many ways.

So. A vote maybe doesn't have to even be North America (sorry, forgot about cowboyin' north of the 48th Parallel).

Jump ball! Game on!