Hello to everyone

gennerik

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the boards, having followed a link from Fantasy Faction. After briefly looking around, I saw the wealth of information available, so I look forward to benefitting and contributing.

I'm a new author, having self-published my first book this past November. I didn't try traditional publishing due to the length, and have since realized how difficult it is to break out from the pack. However, I love writing and look forward to having stories out there for people to enjoy. I am interested mostly in Fantasy, though I do enjoy SciFi as well as the occasional straight-up fiction, and if something strikes me as interesting, I'll read that as well.

I'm hoping to refine my abilities as an author, get a lot of great feedback (and give it!), and ultimately carve out a niche for myself in this large world of publishing.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on self-publishing. These forums have a ton of useful and helpful information. I look forward to seeing you around. :welcome:
- Jess

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm a fantasy writer as well and just became active on the forum this week. This place is chock full of knowledgable writers and is an awesome resource. Congrats on the self publish! You will find everything you need to reach your future goals here. See you around!

gennerik

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. My own experience in self-publishing has taught me two things. 1) I need an agent, because I'm terrible at marketing myself. 2) There's a reason why publishing houses are still in business, because self-publishing is a lot of hard work that distracts you from what you really want to do, which is write books.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! Congratulations on your self-published book. =)

Just FYI, even when you publish with a publishing house, you still have to do some marketing on your own. I have released/am about to release books through five different publishers and I still do some of my own promotional activities to get my name out there. I get to know some of the nicest and most supportive readers that way. It's amazing. =)

gennerik

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! Congratulations on your self-published book. =)

Just FYI, even when you publish with a publishing house, you still have to do some marketing on your own. I have released/am about to release books through five different publishers and I still do some of my own promotional activities to get my name out there. I get to know some of the nicest and most supportive readers that way. It's amazing. =)

Well, that's probably true, too. There's very few golden tickets out there; the rest of us have to keep grinding away. But, I'll tell you what. There's nothing else I'd rather be doing. Writing is amazing, and our community is filed with amazing people, both fans and other writers.

Last edited:

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's probably true, too. There's very few golden tickets out there; the rest of us have to keep grinding away. But, I'll tell you what. There's nothing else I'd rather be doing. Writing is amazing, and our community is filed with amazing people, both fans and other writers.

Write away and good luck! =)

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Love the unique spelling of your handle! Fairly new here too. Welcome.