Finished two paid pieces, so far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladespark

JOAT
Registered
Reaction score
No idea if this is even the place to post about this, but I'm stoked so I wanted to share. I dipped my toe into accepting fanfiction writing commissions a few weeks ago, and today I polished off both of the projects I accepted! I got briefly stuck on one of them and was starting to worry, but I got past the sticking point this morning and it was all smooth sailing after that. I'm waiting to hear back from the customers on the final product. Given their feedback so far one will probably love it and the other will nit pick six things, but they haven't wanted any major changes yet, so I think it's going well.

Been charging half a cent a word, which I'd seen around fandom as a beginning kind of price, but since my first offered spots got snapped up instantly, now that they're done I feel confident enough to raise my rates for the next batch, I'm probably going to be charging a whole penny a word. :D It's not going to make me rich, but given my writing speed it *almost* resembles an actual job at that price, so hey. I'd rather write for minimum wage than flip burgers for minimum wage.

Bladespark

JOAT
Registered
Reaction score
It's mostly concentrated around erotica, but I've gotten the occasional more G-rated bit of work as well. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Bladespark.:hooray:

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! =) I have read fanfictions for years, but I never knew that we could get paid writing it. Is there an option called "Get Paid to Read Fanfictions" somewhere out there? I would ace that gig for sure. LOL!

Bladespark

JOAT
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! =) I have read fanfictions for years, but I never knew that we could get paid writing it. Is there an option called "Get Paid to Read Fanfictions" somewhere out there? I would ace that gig for sure. LOL!

Ha ha ha. I wish! Man, if that paid, my husband would be really fricking wealthy. And I'd be not too bad off myself.

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
This is awesome. Always nice to have your work out in the public no matter where. Never heard of paid fan fiction either lol but nonetheless, congrats!!

Bladespark

JOAT
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm turning this into my "I actually get paid to write fanfic, wtf?!" thread. Don't feel I should start a new one for every time I finish a story, certainly. :D Anyhow, I finished another paid piece. I'm discussing a possible future commission with somebody else, but right now the one I finished means my plate is empty, as far as paid work goes. (I do, of course, have a million unpaid pieces, in and out of fandom, in progress, because that's how I work. Anyhow.) So I'm fishing around for more commissions. I probably should try tumblr or twitter, I haven't used either much recently.

I'm trying to decide what the flip to *do* with the thing I just finished. Ordinarily I shove 'em out the door and publish them on whatever fanfiction site they suit, but although the customer is happy with it, this piece was *way* out of my usual comfort zone and I feel it's not up to my usual quality. I think I could lick it into shape given some input from an editor who's more familiar with the genre (it's a comedy piece, and I do mostly erotica, cute fluff, or adventure) but that takes finding said editor, and also takes a lot of time and effort. I hate to waste the chance to bump my readership by publishing a new story, but I also hate to publish something sub-par. So I'm really waffling back and forth about what I should do. I guess I put out feelers for the right editor or at least beta reader (anybody here into My Little Pony, comedy, and the Discord/Fluttershy ship?) and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.