• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question about attribution and about using lyrics in your work

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
The most recent existing ones seem to be at least a few months old, so I hope it's OK to start a fresh one.

I'm currently reading an Anne Tyler book in which she quotes three words of a song, and yet there's no attribution at the front of the book as you'd expect. This is not something I've come across before.

Does this suggest that there *is* actually a minimum-number-of-words threshold for reproducing lyrics lawfully? Surely if she had needed permission, she would have sought it. But if she had, and did, wouldn't there be an attribution?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The most recent existing ones seem to be at least a few months old, so I hope it's OK to start a fresh one.

I'm currently reading an Anne Tyler book in which she quotes three words of a song, and yet there's no attribution at the front of the book as you'd expect. This is not something I've come across before.

Does this suggest that there *is* actually a minimum-number-of-words threshold for reproducing lyrics lawfully? Surely if she had needed permission, she would have sought it. But if she had, and did, wouldn't there be an attribution?

I don't think you can draw any conclusions from that.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There is not a minimum. How do you know it's a copyrighted song she's quoting?

The attribution may just not be printed there, or printed if it is, but it may not be. I mean if a character says, "you can't always get what you want," they probably don't need permission from the Stones. Pretty sure BB has a decent legal team.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
That'll learn me. It turns out that it's a 19th-century folk song, not a Johnny Cash song as I'd thought.

Can I delete this thread? Apologies for wasting people's time.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If we leave the thread in place, other people learn from it. You might consider changing the subject line to include something about old songs.