Bannon's Appointment to the National Security Council May Be Rejected

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
According to this article from the Palm Report, Steve Bannon's appointment to the National Security Council may be rejected by the Senate because of an obscure law.

According to section (a)(6) of federal statute 50 U.S. Code 3021, a civilian like Steve Bannon will in fact need to go through Senate confirmation and approval in order to serve on the National Security Council because he doesn’t fit into any of the five listed pre-approved categories. That obscure law, which has remained obscure because no president has ever tried to put a political hack on the NSC until now, was dug up by MSNBC analyst Jonathan Alter late on Monday night.

Considering just how deeply Bannon is distrusted, along with the strong belief that he should not be taking the place of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on the NSC, it’s likely that Bannon will be rejected by the Senate.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I read the law last night, but I don't think Bannon's new position is a "secretary." I expect more or less this response if pressed: "Well he's not a secretary or under-secretary and it doesn't say anything about anyone else, so since it doesn't specify that means we can do what we want."

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
However, there is likely a sizeable number of Republicans who'd like to see Bannon well out of the picture. If they seize upon it with Democrats, it'll at least slow things down for Bannon to become uncrowned King of America.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That says secretaries and assts need confirmation (because they do); he's neither. Below, there are other designees and advisors, which he would be.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Rejecting him would only embolden him. He isn't going anywhere. Unless they can come up with something criminal he's done, it would be a waste of time.

Although I won't lie, seeing the GOP resist Trump on that level would be great, and maybe it would at least send him a message (one he clearly would ignore but still)

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to believe that Republican Senators would join forces with those who want the Constitution of the United States to be upheld, for sanity to prevail but time and time again we've seen that will never happen(at least enough that it makes a difference with this current senate.) Case in point, Senator Graham who occasionally will remark about things he believe aren't best for the country(or good laws.) The tariff for example, and recently FINALLY remarking that the immigration law may not be a good thing.

Forward to today however, and his glowing bow fest to Jeff Sessions as AG and all the remarks made during the committee... says it all. There isn't going to be any impeachment or kicking out any of this current white house administration until they attempt to invade the senate and those Republican's interests. Then and only then would they huff and puff. Otherwise, all this 'maybe and hopefully' is just that .. wishful thinking.