Grandma Susie's House of FUN and MORE FUN!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I meant stand alone cameras, ones that aren't combined with cell phones or gps units or doorbells or whatever.

The 'camera' is going by the wayside. Like sewing machines, cds, answering machines, the fluorescent light bulb
the list goes on and on. I mean sure, I get it, change happens. I just wish sometimes it was better change.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the unfortunate position to have to take a picture every now and then.
I have a digital camera. It takes horrific pictures, but it's the one working right now.
In one of my Mom's many drawers of things there are 5 old digital cameras.
One of them takes great pictures but they won't download.
Sometimes I'll use it, take good pictures, pull the memory card and stick it one that will download.
It's silly, but it works.
I can't justify the idea of getting a new one because... I see a pile of wasted money.

On a shelf, in the living room is my Grandfather's camera.
If you drop kicked it, you'd break your foot and the camera would be fine.

So there is change that is good - I like digital a lot.
and change that is bad, they're all overpriced pieces of plastic crap.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I had a good camera. But now the camera on my iPhone takes way better quality pic than that one does. I’d love to upgrade to a professional level Nikon, but I don’t have 3K sitting around to spend on it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I took some pictures with my smart phone recently. And was soon reminded of how terrible I am at taking photos. :tongue Seriously, they were so blurry! Granted, I've only ever owned 2 cameras before. The first was a kid's disposable camera thing, with like 12 photos maximum on the roll. I think I only took 3 or 4... The second was mum's old digital camera, which is enormous and crappy, but was free. And now the smart phone.

Eh... The only time I take photos is when I want to sell something online, anyway...

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love my digital camera. I use it often, like tonight, when I took a picture of my cheese cake rampage. .

You're supposed to just say 'cheese', not....

Oh what the heck. Who says you can't have your cheesecake and eat it. :D

And sadly, there is not a single farmer's market in the area. Not one. Nada. Given that it's a farming area, one would have thought... *sigh*

The hubs is thinking about possibly opening a secondhand book store. There is nothing like that here. There's only a library (which I haven't been to yet because I don't know where it is. And I'm not crazy about libraries as I tend to want to keep books that I like.) So we'll have to look at shop space (I've seen a few empty shops) and see what rents are like. :)

But for now, I'm going... shopping!!!! :D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
The camera on my phone is good, but it can't compete with my digital camera. The zoom alone outmatches it. Bird photography is impossible without a good zoom.

RNJ

addicted to love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionsandlambssaga.wordpress.com
I took a really nice digital camera to London and Dublin last year. It took much better pics than my phone, and I have a pretty good phone. It was a Nikon Coolpix waterproof/shockproof. They're only around $300. I got some great photos and I'm not much of a photographer.

I saw a TV show the other day called Food: Fact or Fiction. It said that in Victorian days people did not say "cheese" when being photographed. They said "prune" to get that solemn Victorian face. Then people changed to "cheese" when we decided it was better to smile in pics.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
That is pretty interesting, and makes for a great trivia question. People in Victorian times also took pictures of their deceased loved ones in posses if they were still alive. They'd even paint eyes on their closed eyelids.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
The hubs is thinking about possibly opening a secondhand book store.
Love second hand book stores. The smell of the paper ... and imagining the history of a book. How did it end up here?

I saw a TV show the other day called Food: Fact or Fiction. It said that in Victorian days people did not say "cheese" when being photographed. They said "prune" to get that solemn Victorian face. Then people changed to "cheese" when we decided it was better to smile in pics.
It certainly sounds reasonable, but I imagine their lips would be a little more poochy. :tongue

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Love second hand book stores. The smell of the paper ... and imagining the history of a book. How did it end up here?

This is the best used bookstore I've ever been to. They got as big as they are by doing trade-ins. You bring books you've read and get credit toward your purchase of new(really used, but new to you) books. It is a great way to keep in stock of what you want to read. They've easily stocked a million books. I stepped in took that deep breath filling my nostrils with a smell like a musty forest of communications from eons past, and got lost in all the tall narrow shelves. Well, after I get over my initial shock at the life-sized Red Hulk, Deadpool, and Harley Quinn figurines that greet you by the door , 'cause I AM a nerd.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I think we haz a bunch of nerdz here. And probably a whole host of closet nerds. And that's how I picture the second hand bookstores, but I've been to a few that look more like a reclaimed video store. Way too much space, low shelves, and a bored teen at the cash register - As opposed to the wizened hermit, that looks like he might have fallen out of one of those books, and has probably read all of those books in the tall shelves.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I think all the second hand bookstores are in the hipster neighborhoods, but none around here.