Confused on how to punctuate "what"

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
To me, "What" isn't always a question. Hence it gets a period (or an exclamation mark) sometimes. To me it seems like a judgment call. It would be easy to use the default question mark, but sometimes "What?" (What do you want?) can be confused with "What?" (I didn't understand what you were saying, could you please clarify?)

The most typical situation (for me) is this sort of dialogue:

"Joe." (He's just addressing Joe.)

"What?" (Joe saying, 'yeah i'm here, what do you want?)

or that could be:

"Joe?" (Could be interpreted 'Are you Joe?')

"What?"

Personally I think the first example is better than the second.

But it could also be:

"Joe."

"What." (as in more of an acknowledgment of being contacted with less 'what do you want?')

I have written the latter but I must admit I'm uncertain about it.

Or how about this example:

The monitor was still flashing, blinks of red strobing Geoffrey’s face. He frowned, sighed, then he said, “Blow up the roads.”

“What.”

“Blow up the roads. The targets won’t be able to flee. Then wait for one hundred percent confirmation.”

That "What." says the speaker isn't asking for clarification. It could also be "What!"

Or this example:

“Mary.” He looked straight at her. “I heard what you said that day.”

“What. No. That’s impossible.”

"What." in this example is not a question.

Or:

“They’re going to know who I am from the Mazda’s plates. I’m no good to you now.”

“What. Wait a minute.” She clutched Chase tighter. “I mean, I’m sorry I got you into this and all, but I hope you’re not going to bail on us now.”

Again "What." there is not a question. It could be but the writer's intention is that it is not.

Or:

“Well, this is the hard part.” He looked at one of the devilish masks as if to gather courage from it. “I’ve had to combine your job with Ramon’s—he’s been here longer. I’m sorry, Phoebe, I really am, but I’m going to have to let you go.”

Phoebe said nothing. What. But you said cut back…

Again that "What." just seems like an acknowledgment or a statement of surprise. Again it could be a question.

So much of "what" is in the tone of voice as to what it means. But in writing it seems to me it's up to the writer to decide what "what" means and punctuate accordingly.

But as I said, I do get confused about this so any feedback will be most welcome. Thanks.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I agree in general. You should punctuate "what" with whatever is appropriate, and expect that someone will say that you are wrong.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
To me, "What" isn't always a question. Of course not. It can also be an exclamation! :tongue It would be easy to use the default question mark, but sometimes "What?" (What do you want?) = "What!" , to show annoyance. Or even "What?! Pluto is no longer a planet?? "can be confused with "What?" (I didn't understand what you were saying, could you please clarify?) Not any more, we shed some light on that just above :Sun:

The most typical situation (for me) is this sort of dialogue:

"Joe." (He's just addressing Joe.)

"What?" (Joe saying, 'yeah i'm here, what do you want?) Or, "What!" if he's a bit miffed.

or that could be:

"Joe?" (Could be interpreted 'Are you Joe?')

"What?" But you're saying the same as above...

Personally I think the first example is better than the second.

But it could also be:

"Joe."

"What." (as in more of an acknowledgment of being contacted with less 'what do you want?' Nope. Judgement has nothing to do with punctuation. Punctuation is there to tell the reader how to "hear" the words, the tone of voice, the emotion and stuff. If your character sounds like "What." then by all means put it down like that, but in the reader's head that will sound like a character who's half asleep, or overly lazy, or distracted. It's not just "an acknowlegement", there's more to it. "What?" is your regular, every day "acknowledgement".

The monitor was still flashing, blinks of red strobing Geoffrey’s face. He frowned, sighed, then he said, “Blow up the roads.”

“What.” As above.

“Blow up the roads. The targets won’t be able to flee. Then wait for one hundred percent confirmation.”

That "What." says the speaker isn't asking for clarification. It could also be "What!" More like "What?!"

Or this example:

“Mary.” He looked straight at her. “I heard what you said that day.”

“What. No. That’s impossible.” "What?"

"What." in this example is not a question. Depends. It looks like a question at first glance. Unless distracted/see above.

Or:

“They’re going to know who I am from the Mazda’s plates. I’m no good to you now.”

“What. Wait a minute.” She clutched Chase tighter. “I mean, I’m sorry I got you into this and all, but I hope you’re not going to bail on us now.” Definitely "What?"

Again "What." there is not a question. Sounds very much like one, tho. It could be but the writer's intention is that it is not. Depends on how the character is portrayed.

Or:

“Well, this is the hard part.” He looked at one of the devilish masks as if to gather courage from it. “I’ve had to combine your job with Ramon’s—he’s been here longer. I’m sorry, Phoebe, I really am, but I’m going to have to let you go.”

Phoebe said nothing. What. But you said cut back…

I can't fathom that one, which means the writer hadn't managed to put their meaning through to the reader :Shrug:

Again that "What." just seems like an acknowledgment or a statement of surprise. Again it could be a question.

So much of "what" is in the tone of voice as to what it means. But in writing it seems to me it's up to the writer to decide what "what" means and punctuate accordingly Sort of, but not quite. In order to achieve understanding, that is. The reader would have some expectations about standards and generally accepted stuff.
Hopethathelpsooohlooknospacebaragain:Hammer:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree in general. You should punctuate "what" with whatever is appropriate, and expect that someone will say that you are wrong.
:tongue

There are times one frames a question as a declaration, and those do not need a question mark. But I can't see any way the example of Joe responding to his named being called is not a question, "What [do you want my attention for]?"

If I said, "What a nightmare," that would be a declaration not a question.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
"What a nightmare," can perfectly well be question, exclamation, or statement, so punctuate it suitably and give the reader a hint.

Such comments can be good word play, but what do you want readers to get from it?

Personally, I love it when people say, "What's up." My reply is, "And how's he been batting lately?"

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I agree that the punctuation should reflect how the word is being used/spoken, but I disagree that the "what"s in the later examples weren't questions. Rhetorical questions, maybe, but I can't really make them work in my mind as statements.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Hopethathelpsooohlooknospacebaragain:Hammer:

Thanks a lot Curlz. I agree with:

But it could also be:

"Joe."

"What." (as in more of an acknowledgment of being contacted with less 'what do you want?' Nope.

I agree with your asssesment of 'distracted' or 'lazy' on that one, but not in ever instance (of the other examples). I do think 'What.' is really more of an acknowledgement and it's needed when 'What!' is too much.

Thanks a lot for the line by line. I've already read it twice and I'll be reading it quite a few more times. :)

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

There are times one frames a question as a declaration, and those do not need a question mark. But I can't see any way the example of Joe responding to his named being called is not a question, "What [do you want my attention for]?"

If I said, "What a nightmare," that would be a declaration not a question.

Thanks MaeZe. I think you're right about the Joe response.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I love it when people say, "What's up." My reply is, "And how's he been batting lately?"
:)

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that the punctuation should reflect how the word is being used/spoken, but I disagree that the "what"s in the later examples weren't questions. Rhetorical questions, maybe, but I can't really make them work in my mind as statements.

Thanks Captcha

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:idea:"Which power unit is named after a Scottish engineer?"

This response is always followed by a question mark: "What?"

This response can be a definitive statement: "Watt."

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
To be just a tad pedantic, "what?" should always be punctuated with a question mark. I have to disagree that it's use in such phrases as "What? No. That's impossible" is not a question. The use of "what?" always implies a question. It's just that the rest of the question isn't stated. So:

Joe
What do you want? - an implied question. Leave out the words in italics, but you should keep the question mark.

In many of the other examples, "What?" is used to express surprise, but the underlying question "What are you saying? or What did you just say? is till implied, or understood.

In short, you should always follow "what" with a question mark.