Laurie R. King's "Takeback Tuesdays"

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I know I've been in a rather down mood lately. This is an idea that might help - focusing on one day a week to Do Something, rather than weathering the 24/7 storm without a raincoat...

http://laurierking.com/2017/01/takeback-tuesdays/

This week's topic is "alternative facts" and ways to fight them, by supporting those who report truth and call out the administration.

(Mods, feel free to alter/move/delete/cast into the nearest abyss...)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I like this, very much.

(I also subscribed to the NY Times and WaPo the day after election day.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Takeback Tuesday. I'm bumping the thread and adding my own takeback:

I'm more and more disgusted with the mainstream news sharing Trump's bed. The big announcement tonight of Trump's pick for SCOTUS has obviously been set up as a reality show event, complete with continual plugs for the show, tonight, 8 Eastern.

I refuse to watch. Why should any of us watch Trump the Reality Show? Not that I'm part of the Nielsen rating, but if we can get a good echo of the idea bouncing around on social media, maybe CNN and MSNBC will at least hear rumors their being manipulated by Trump is not going unnoticed. I have already emailed Rachel Maddow that her ecstatic view of 'the Trump era because it's so good for the news media', ignores how that comes across to those of us not enjoying his presidency.

By the way, if you stream it, you'll be counted as an audience member.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm bumping this because I still really like this idea.

Ms. King isn't blogging it any more; the archive is here.

Her original idea is here:

Takeback Tuesday: moving forward in the new era

I’ll try and post every Tuesday about something I’m doing to maintain the energy of the Women’s March, some donation or telephone call that may counter the acts I anticipate will be coming out of Washington, DC. (And yes, again: I hope I’m wrong; I fear I’m not.) And I’ll urge you to join me, in the support and the commitment of energies.

I'd like to try this on Tuesdays here.

Could I maybe get a few volunteers to post on a Tuesday of your choice a suggestion of:

• Something to Do (a letter? a phone call? a way to pay it forward?)
  • Something To Read/Watch/Listen to
  • Something to help Make things better (and that includes things that offer hope and serenity and peace for ourselves and others)

PM or post here and I'll start a list. I'd like as many people as possible. Feel free to PM folks. This can be a small thing, but if it's something people do/read/hear/think about, small things change the world.

We are pebbles cast into the water; let's make some ripples.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If people did just one thing a week (sure, why not Tuesdays), it would have a massive impact. Many people are so insulated by their privilege that they won't bother, but it's a great idea. You don't have to come up with some genius plan to restore the democratic roots of government, just do a little something once a week. The culmulative result could truly induce positive change. I like it.