Google Has Failed Me, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Hard-Boiled-Quail-Egg Sake Bomb

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
So a friend of mine has been raving about a drink he once had in a sushi restaurant, a sake bomb featuring a hard boiled quail egg. Having recently come into an abundance of quail eggs (which is how the subject came up), I'm determined to try my hand at making this drink, but all the recipes I've found use raw eggs.

Are the quail eggs pickled in the sake ahead of time and plucked from the jar when it's time for a drink? I can't find any recipes for quail eggs preserved in sake, so perhaps not.

Is the egg boiled in hot sake at the time of preparing the drink? Perhaps with a pinhole pricked in one end so it can absorb the alcohol? Or dropped in raw and cooked in the fashion of egg-drop soup minus the stirring, so the egg more or less retains its shape? Or simply hard-boiled normally and stored in the fridge to be added like a cherry? Who knows? I've googled every way I know how and come up empty.

Anybody know a recipe for this particular concoction?

Last edited:

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
In a Japanese sashimi bar in Tokyo, I once had a uni shooter with sea urchin, sake, green onions, ponzu and a delicately poached quail egg. Delicious.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
In a Japanese sashimi bar in Tokyo, I once had a uni shooter with sea urchin, sake, green onions, ponzu and a delicately poached quail egg. Delicious.

Poached, eh? Maybe THAT'S what they did with the egg in my friend's drink. That would make sense; poached eggs are nice and soft, so they'd go well in a drink, and it would mesh with my friend's memory of a cooked egg.

Taz.

Have you fallen out of love with them so quickly?

:cry:

Lol, are you kidding? They're awesome! But I have all the birds I can handle for now (I never anticipated 17. My living room looks like a pet store, in the greatest way, while I wait for the right conditions to move them outside... poor dears, our winters are mild, but I don't want them to get chilly, so I'm considering keeping them inside until spring. At the very least, I was waiting for the little ones to catch up on growth so they won't be picked on when I combine the groups, and they're probably at that point now). Anyway, there's no need to hatch any more for a while, and my eldest two ladies are laying like champs, an egg a day each, with the young'uns close on their heels (I expect them to start laying in the next couple weeks). Time to om nom on eggs!

The way they're situated, the birds can see me preparing food, and I do wonder how they feel about watching me crack their eggs open for cooking. Seems like something of a Kafkaesque nightmare, :e2chain: but they don't seem perturbed. I toast the shells and mix them back into their food dish, and they scarf those down quite happily. (they're on a laying mix, so it's probably overkill, but I read it's a good way to prevent calcium deficiencies, and my worm bin doesn't need any more eggshells right now).

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My grandfather broke a raw egg in a glass of beer and drank it down every day of his life. It wasn't a quail egg but it was raw. The raw egg never killed him. Kool cigarettes did. He did add a little tabasco sauce to the concoction.

Any quail he encountered he shot dead, stuffed them with apple slices, wrapped them in bacon and roasted them.