• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where could I post my story for critique/review

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
I've completed a portion of my first chapter and would like some input. I'm writing just as a hobby so i don't want anything professional so im not sure.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to check out SWY before you get to 50 posts. You need to have 50 post before you can put up your own work for feedback, BUT - offering your own reader response in the meantime is a great way to learn, while adding to your post count.

ETA - when you as for the critique - it's worthwhile to let people know that you're writing for a hobby. When I critique I assume the person's goal is to query an agent in order to be published by an established publisher.

Last edited:

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I've completed a portion of my first chapter and would like some input. I'm writing just as a hobby so i don't want anything professional so im not sure.

Hi, I'm also new and you might want to check out the Share Your Work threads and post there once you've reached 50 posts. Great feedback and a good place to learn to give critiques and encouragement:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/sho...threads-in-SYW-minimum-post-count-requirement

+1

You might want to check out SWY before you get to 50 posts. You need to have 50 post before you can put up your own work for feedback, BUT - offering your own reader response in the meantime is a great way to learn, while adding to your post count.

ETA - when you as for the critique - it's worthwhile to let people know that you're writing for a hobby. When I critique I assume the person's goal is to query an agent in order to be published by an established publisher.

+ 1

Hi POTATO91. You can get good critiques in the SYW section (I have), and these are good suggestions here about critiquing others. I've seen others also say they'll treat your work differently if they know it's just a hobby, but if you think you might decide down the road to go for publication, maybe decide based on that how you want the critiques.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not so hard to get to 50 posts if you join in with the conversations.
This. But be aware, Potato, that they're mean to be substantive posts. 50 hello!s on the Newbie Page won't cut it - they'll just get deleted. (Also be sure to do a bit of reading in SYW first - and maybe some critting - so that you get an idea for what it's like, and whether you want a soft crit or not.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks, i guess i'll be spamming hard then
If your goal is to post for critique in the Share Your Work forums, one of the most effective ways to get your post count up is by participating as a critiquer. It not only will give other critiquers an opportunity to "get to know you" before you ask them to critique your work, it will help you understand the dynamics and processes of the SYW community. "Spamming" responses with little substance isn't the point of the 50 post rule.

All the best,
Riv

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Maybe your "spamming hard" comment was a joke? Hard to tell. The thread linked in the 2nd post in this thread specifically warns against the 50-post dash. Read it.

-Derek

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
If your goal is to post for critique in the Share Your Work forums, one of the most effective ways to get your post count up is by participating as a critiquer. It not only will give other critiquers an opportunity to "get to know you" before you ask them to critique your work, it will help you understand the dynamics and processes of the SYW community.

And it will earn you more goodwill. If I see someone participating with substantial posts, I'm much more likely to offer critiques and help than I am for short, spamlike posts such as "ur good enough".

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks, i guess i'll be spamming hard then

Don't do this...

But you'll be surprised how easy it is to get up to 50+ posts. I did it just by interacting on the site in different threads. Also, welcome some new members, that adds to the post count without the spam.

SYW is a good place to get advice.