Historical Romance with Time Travel

HaleeW

Registered
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite historical romances that involve time travel? I'm looking for some to read!
Also, as a reader do you prefer if the book ends with the couple in modern times or remaining in the past?

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
One of my old favourites -- I read it first in the 1980s and loved it -- is Jack Finney's Time and Again (1970( in which Simon goes back from the 20th century to New York in 1882 to solve a mystery. He falls in love with Julia who briefly returns to the present with him and they both have to decide if they want to go back in time and stay there. Gorgeous illustrations throughout and details of the Dakota and Central Park in the 1880s.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I love Susannah Kearsley's novels. They all intertwine historical romance with a modern storyline. Of her books, I'd say The Rose Garden would most fit the type of book you are looking for.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Jude Deveraux's A Knight in Shining Armor and Linda Howard's Son of the Morning both have heroines traveling back in time, as I recall.

HaleeW

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations. If anyone else can think of another title please add. I'm a fast reader. :)

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
The only actual TT romance listed is Jude Devereaux. Finney is classified as speculative fiction, and Kearsley is women's fiction.

TT romance was a huge trend in the 1990s, so if you're a new romance reader you might have to get used to the slightly florid style. Here's a list of some: https://www.amazon.com/forum/histor...Forum=FxAM906CKYVNOT&cdThread=Tx2SUFU7VVPIDPF

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2009/09/gs-v-sta-time-travel-romance/

A new author writing TT romance is Angela Quarles http://angelaquarles.com

Last edited:

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Borders between genres are porous, Evangeline.

Of course, the first series that comes to mind is Outlander. I'm interested in the others listed here, none of which I'm familiar with. I enjoy a good time travel book!

OP asked for historical romance...which I took as genre romance, not a blanket term for anything with romantic elements. *shrug*

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Outlander is my favorite - which has been classified as romance, adventure, scifi, historical, and general. It defies genre definitions :)

The Time Traveler's Wife is poignant and sad.

Time and Again is a classic.

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
i like the that one too , my favs are somewhere in time , midnite in paris and kate and leopold

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
ty i'll check that book out sounds intesting

- - - Updated - - -

i'll check it out sounds intesting

BlackMoth

Professional Worrier
Registered
Reaction score
What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon.