I need some help with this description

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noir/Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
I hope it's OK for me to post this here to ask for help: I need help writing this character description. I'm struggling with the flow of last few sentences of this paragraph. Thank you in advance

Which works better:

Sample 1:

Vanessa stood wearing a deep purple cardigan and a tight black pencil skirt similar to mine. Yet somehow the “trying too hard look” worked just fine for her. She was easily the most striking person in the room with her porcelain skin and long raven hair so glassy it didn't look real. It reminded me of black ice. Come to think of it, everything about Vanessa was like black ice. She was slick and deceptive.

Sample 2:

Vanessa stood wearing a deep purple cardigan and a tight black pencil skirt similar to mine. Yet somehow the “trying too hard look” worked just fine for her. She was easily the most striking person in the room with her porcelain skin and long raven hair that was so glassy it didn't look real. It reminded me of black ice. Come to think of it, everything about Vanessa was like black ice--slick and deceptive.

OR do I not need to mention the slick and deceptive part at all? Is that implied?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Prefer sample 2, but...

Vanessa stood wearing wore a deep purple cardigan and a tight black pencil skirt similar to mine. Yet somehow the “trying too hard" look worked just fine for her. She was easily the most striking person in the room with her porcelain skin and long raven hair that was so glassy glossy? it didn't look real. It reminded me of black ice. Come to think of it, everything about Vanessa was like black ice--slick and deceptive.

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I like Marissa's edit. "She stood wearing" is awkward at best. Unless the "standing" has some real significance to her actions in the scene, I'd change per Marissa's recommendations. And I like "glassy" in lieu of the more expected "glossy" because it carries through the black ice vibe.

Not a woman I'd want to meet, really, or even have coffee with. If that was the image you were shooting for, I'd say you nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.