• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Beacon Publishing Group

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
A publisher called Beacon Publishing Group (there seem to be a few legit pubs called Beacon, though) is using cover images of books it does not publish in its "Available Now" section on its website. I immediately recognized Gretchen McNeil's TEN and April Genevieve Tucholke's BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA, but there seem to be quite a few others they're claiming that are not theirs.

https://www.beaconpublishinggroup.com

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Norwegian Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Newbie here. Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with Beacon Publishing Group with regard to publishing their book. I just received a response to my inquiry, so I am being very guarded as to getting excited.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Guarded" is probably a good approach. This is a relatively new publisher which is still doing some shady things on its website (such as displaying photos of Clive Barker and Matthew Modine on their "featured authors" page, as if those two publish with Beacon). Three of their eight new releases are books in the public domain.

The "Look Inside" feature on Amazon showed a need for better editing ("span" as the past tense of "spin" in one, the repeated use of "cold air" in the first couple of graphs in another, along with complaints from a reader about sloppy fomatting). Additional formatting complaints on the reissued classics.

If they have offered you a contract, look carefully at the royalty terms. If the word "net" appears anywhere, back away. In addition to not offering an advance, many under-capitalized small publishers may deduct part or even all of their operating expenses from an author's royalties, meaning that you will make little, if any, money.

Superfluke

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking here quite awhile, and learned a ton. I am fairly confident what your answers/advice will be, but I'm wondering if I am better off moving ahead with this publisher anyway.

I have received an offer from Beacon Publishing Group. Their contract has a clause which retains the right to recoup marketing and promotional costs before author royalties (on net) are paid. This allows them to keep an unspecified (at this time) amount of book profits, which is I guess a take on charging the author for services. There are no other up-front costs in the contract language. I have gained some experience on vanity publishers, but this particular publisher isn't so black and white to me.

My dilemma is this: It is my first novel (I have since finished another one which I think is much improved, and currently am peddling). After months of rejection and silence, I had shelved this one and focused on the new project. Now, many months later, I get an offer from a query l had sent in my last batch, last autumn. So from my point of view, even with a publisher who is straddling the blurry lines, what do I have to lose, if there are no costs out of my pocket? If I self-publish, I retain the rights, but must rely on my own reluctant method of marketing and distributing, which this publisher is contractually obliged to do.

On one hand, I can sign with a shady publisher, at no cost, and gain a publishing credit, and hopefully take a step in a writing career, and perhaps even profit if sales are good. On the other hand I can pay for self-publishing and slog through marketing/selling/promoting alone.

So, what am I missing? If I assume the novel is just not good enough to garner commercial attention in today's environment, what do I have to lose? Or do you say keep the faith, don't give in, keep it in a drawer and try again on some brighter tomorrow?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're opening yourself up to a world of heartache. With the business model Beacon has proposed to you, you will likely never see a dime from the sales of your book.

Back away. Being published badly is worse than not being published at all.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
On one hand, I can sign with a shady publisher, at no cost, and gain a publishing credit, and hopefully take a step in a writing career, and perhaps even profit if sales are good. On the other hand I can pay for self-publishing and slog through marketing/selling/promoting alone.

So, what am I missing? If I assume the novel is just not good enough to garner commercial attention in today's environment, what do I have to lose? Or do you say keep the faith, don't give in, keep it in a drawer and try again on some brighter tomorrow?

The first thing I'd say is this -- having your novel published by a "shady publisher" is not actually a publishing credit. In fact, it can be detrimental to your career. Debut novels are enticing to publishers. They're an opportunity to introduce the world to a new author (a nice hook to get attention with media and retailers). Once you publish a book, even if it only sells five copies, you no longer have the debut writer card in your pocket.

Real talk -- it isn't a step in a writing career and the odds of you making any money (especially with the way that clause is written) are somewhere between 0 and 0.01.

If you're a better writer now, then focus on the new material and forget about earlier, less good books. I know that might be tough on the ego, but that's the way it works. Having written a novel, even if nobody else reads it, is fine practice towards mastering the craft.

Reactions: samwrites

americanknight

Registered
Reaction score
I also received a response to my inquiry from Beacon, and I wanted to find out if they were a good publisher. In response to the following concern ...

"Guarded" is probably a good approach. This is a relatively new publisher which is still doing some shady things on its website (such as displaying photos of Clive Barker and Matthew Modine on their "featured authors" page, as if those two publish with Beacon).

I can verify that Beacon actually does represent these big-name authors (in audio books):

https://www.horrorsociety.com/2014/08/14/clive-barker-signs-beacon-audio-books/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2D7510/?tag=absowrit-20

I spoke with one of their editors today, and he assured me that the authors receive gross, not net.

Last edited:

rtaylor2121

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent publisher! They do a great job! Fingers are crossed for you!

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I spoke with one of their editors today, and he assured me that the authors receive gross, not net.

And yet an earlier poster said:

I have received an offer from Beacon Publishing Group. Their contract has a clause which retains the right to recoup marketing and promotional costs before author royalties (on net) are paid.

Have they changed their contract? Or do they offer different contracts to different authors?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I've been lurking here quite awhile, and learned a ton. I am fairly confident what your answers/advice will be, but I'm wondering if I am better off moving ahead with this publisher anyway.

I have received an offer from Beacon Publishing Group. Their contract has a clause which retains the right to recoup marketing and promotional costs before author royalties (on net) are paid. This allows them to keep an unspecified (at this time) amount of book profits, which is I guess a take on charging the author for services. There are no other up-front costs in the contract language. I have gained some experience on vanity publishers, but this particular publisher isn't so black and white to me.

My dilemma is this: It is my first novel (I have since finished another one which I think is much improved, and currently am peddling). After months of rejection and silence, I had shelved this one and focused on the new project. Now, many months later, I get an offer from a query l had sent in my last batch, last autumn. So from my point of view, even with a publisher who is straddling the blurry lines, what do I have to lose, if there are no costs out of my pocket? If I self-publish, I retain the rights, but must rely on my own reluctant method of marketing and distributing, which this publisher is contractually obliged to do.

Missing quite a lot, I'm afraid, through no fault of your own. Here are a few items:

I haven't read the contract, obviously, but the clause you quote is a big red flag. The publisher can bundle anything into the vague category of "marketing and promotion" and confiscate most of your royalties for a very long time. The same applies to paying royalties based on net. Net is a slippery number; who's to say what they get to claim as expenses to be deducted from gross sales?

Saying the publisher is "contractually obliged to do marketing and distribution" means nothing except that they have to make the books available online or on demand (distribution) and send out a tweet once in a blue moon or include the title on their website ("marketing.")Unless they specify what exactly they're going to do for the book and put a dollar figure on it, you've got nothing. And it's hard to get such a commitment even from established publishers, unless you are already a bestselling writer.

You don't gain a publishing credit unless the publisher is legit and established. There are so many "assisted publishing" companies out there that agents and editors will assume yours is one of them. The publishing credit that matters most is impressive sales numbers that are verifiable, and that doesn't include give-aways.

Finally--let's assume your new book is much better. Agents evaluating the book won't have a first novel to sell---and publishable first novels are valuable commodities, because everyone loves "discovering" a great new voice. On the other hand, second novels by writers whose first books tanked are really tough sells. This is likely to play into agents' decisions about whether or not to offer representation, and editors' decisions about whether or not to buy.

Finally: Do you really want your first novel out there for anyone to pick up? You're learning as you write, as we all do. My advice would be to put that "training novel" aside for now, go on with your new book, and someday in the future, pull out the first ms. and see if you think it's salvageable. In such a case, I'll bet you end up thanking yourself for not letting it go out in the world in its original incarnation.

My 2 cents worth, anyway.

Last edited:

JHaskin

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any more recent information about this company. I am interested in their young adult imprint, University Press.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read this thread thoroughly? Looked at their books on Amazon? I just pulled up their four most recent releases and all four are formatted badly, show no sign of a decent editor's hand and have problematic/ineffective covers.

I repeat what I said earlier in this thread: being published badly is worse than not being published at all. Ask yourself what this publisher can do for you that you couldn't accomplish yourself through self-publishing.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I was curious about the formatting and what you thought was poor about it--MrsMig--and I went to look at a few of the YA titles.

Unless I'm reading the webpage wrong they've got five altogether but the first three (that's as far as I got) are all published prior to 2006.

I doubt they're actively publishing YA... ?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Patty, I looked at the four most recent BPG releases, since I figure issues with the main press are probably going to slop over into the imprints.

I also poked around a bit more on the website, trying to find any info about the group's personnel. I was finally able to find a staff list, which is just that - a list of names with titles attached to them. No bios, no photos - nothing. And here's the weird part: none of the major players with the company has ANY internet presence. ANY. They're not even listed on the company's LinkedIn profile. The eight people who ARE listed are primarily BPG authors, and the ones who actually have a job title seem to be recent hires and are NOT listed on the BPG website - which makes this already sketchy publisher look even sketchier.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone wondering their books still read like trash. :(