The 2017 AW Reading Challenge! A "Pick 12" Choose Your Own Adventure

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my "extra credit" book: Still time for more chapters: A memoir/biography by/about someone who’s still alive. I picked Who I Am, by Peter Townsend, guitarist and songwriter of the rock band The Who. This was because my original extra credit book was sadly stolen.

I've been interested in The Who for a couple of years and have been slowly exploring their music. They were also one of the first rock bands I was exposed to, at the age of 7 via the rock opera concept album Tommy. My brother was obsessed with it, and I think he felt a kinship with Townsend through the music. I did enjoy the Townsend's book, particularly the early parts in the 1960s, because I'm always interested in the genesis of artists and their influences. The middle part, however, slogged. It was too diary-like in the "I did this, then I did that" and although erudite and well-written, it lacked a story arc, for want of a better term, such as going from addiction to sobriety, or discomfort with celebrity to acceptance of it. Still, he had some interesting insights about digital media and the current smorgasbord of online entertainment and music.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oneblindmouse: So noted on your topic suggestions!

Cobalt: I think you hit on what makes a good memoir: a story arc. I understand there is a difference between an autobiography and a memoir, and I guess that's as good a distinction as there is.

I have always put The Who up there with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, but the real sleepers of the era were The Zombies. "Time of the Season" and "She's not there" stand the test of time as well as any Who and Beatles tune, but a lot of their lesser-known stuff stands up just as well.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monday, folks. New Challenge launches on Monday!