• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love your sig line, ChaseJxyz - eye-catching and clever!

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I really want to, Helix! Australia has so many good birds I want to see. New Zealand, too. Want to see those stabby dinosaurs. Alas, I will just have to make do with the gulls, crows, and doves around here until we can go places again.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely pics, Jason!

ChaseJxyz, if you come to Australia, you can see cockatiels (quarrion) in the wild!

And trees or bushes full of parakeets, all one color. That blew me away (among many things that blew me away). Here you see a couple here and there in pet stores or people's houses. But a whole bush full in the wild!!!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And trees or bushes full of parakeets, all one color. That blew me away (among many things that blew me away). Here you see a couple here and there in pet stores or people's houses. But a whole bush full in the wild!!!

I have only seen pictures of this, but it must be wondrous to see live - them all roosting or drinking and then 'whoosh' and they're away!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Friends have a station out between Longreach and the Diamantina, and they get budgies, Bourke's parrots and the occasional grey falcon. (I have yet to see a grey falcon. I had been hoping to get out to Western Queensland, but what with one thing and another...)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
So, on the heels of the uploads from yesterday, I took to my morning coffee today, and the cardinals I'd seen in the distance finally paid me an up close visit. They sent this gal in first to make sure all was safe:

50153258972_ace5e14c00_z.jpg

Then, despite not even having a feeder for this particular breed, this guy showed up near the suet feeder:

50152474178_75be1089ac_z.jpg

I'm on Amazon now looking at hummingbird feeders! :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Get one that you can put in the dishwasher; it's crucial to keep them clean. Look for one with bee guards and an ant moat.

Do not buy commercial nectar mix or add food coloring. Here's a recipe for the nectar, but basically, 1 part white granulated "table" sugar to four parts water.

Don't water down the sugar; they need that level of sugar.

- - - Updated - - -

Get one that you can put in the dishwasher; it's crucial to keep them clean. Look for one with bee guards and an ant moat.

Do not buy commercial nectar mix or add food coloring. Here's a recipe for the nectar, but basically, 1 part white granulated "table" sugar to four parts water.

Don't water down the sugar; they need that level of sugar.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have one of those cheap plastic ones from Lowes or Home Depot. It cracked in one of the moves I'd done for work, so I hadn't bothered to replace it yet. Now that I'm settled, getting a better quality one. Ordered this one from Duncraft last night:

https://www.duncraft.com/JBS-Hummingbird-Feeder

(Had a coupon from some other seed I'd purchased...half off! :) )

A few more from this morning, because, well... I just can't help myself! A few new ones today, including a downy woodpecker and a blue jay, but I wasn't fast enough so they came out blurry... instead, here's another newcomer to the scene - a Carolina wren:

50155181453_a7357510b2_z.jpg

Another of the female cardinal:
50155181468_e9358801d5_z.jpg

And just love how she spread her wings for me here:

50155971792_5f8b4cbbc8_z.jpg

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the bird in the last photo is a female House Finch rather than a Cardinal - but lovely all the same!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think the bird in the last photo is a female House Finch rather than a Cardinal - but lovely all the same!

Yep; it's an immature female house finch.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few more from today - some Goldfinches:

50167888883_320905c575_z.jpg

A female Bluebird (I think):
50168423786_bf8eece325_z.jpg

And the male cardinal finally landed ON the feeder:
50168684637_a347918962_z.jpg

Now, in the interests of not being a thread hog, excuse me while I disappear back into the mist...

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with MaeZe about the beautiful photography.

Only snapped with my phone, these are two of many photos of a family of Oregon hooded finches who nested deep in one of Kay's flower pots. We moved the pot out of the blazing sun and behind a shady bush where they flourished.

These are a fuzzy photo of the flour fuzzy fledglings both parents wore their wings ragged feeding until the chicks flew away too soon.

Finch-4-fledglings.jpg

If we got too close, the tiny female would develop broken wings and flop away from the pot so we'd lose interest in the chicks and follow her. Meanwhile, the male flew into our patio rafters to menace us by savagely clicking his beak. I was less frightened than Kay 'cause I couldn't hear the threats. Lucky me! :greenie

finch-hoody-clicking-warning.jpg

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a bummer. One of the California fires is in Big Sur and threatens a number of the condor chicks.

https://explore.org/livecams/condors/california-condor-sanctuary

Ventana Wildlife Soc Mod • an hour ago • edited

HI All, our hearts are with the community right now as we remain optimistic for the condor flock. Good news, the Dolan fire slowed a bit last night as it crested the ridge and temps are forecasted to be cooler today. If the fire slows down it will burn with less intensity and do less damage. We hope it burns under the trees and not through them. Based on what happened last night, the fire is burning mostly under the tree canopy with occasional flare ups. Those ridges are peppered with dead trees so that's expected. Fortunately, the area of Iniko's nest is closer lower in the canyon in the marine layer, tucked in a redwood grove where the ground vegetation is not as dense. During the last fire in 2008, we observed a similar slow and low burn through the redwoods, so were hoping for the same. The pair will stay close to the nest as long possible before the smoke/fire becomes unbearable. They will seek refuge in a safer location temporarily and then return to the nest once the fire passes through. Condors tend pick robust nest sites(redwoods, caves) that can withstand the elements for these type of scenarios. Based on what we learned in 2008, we are holding out hope for the chicks.
Can we rescue Iniko or any of the other chicks? This is not an option due to safety concerns for our field crew. In addition, access points to nest areas were closed off by fire officials shortly after the fire started on the evening of August 18th..
Their are currently 8 chicks in nests in central California (5 on the coast and 3 inland near Pinnacles National Park). Four of the coast nests are in the path of the fire. The Dolan fire is still working it's way down the south ridge of the canyon and should burn through the release site and Iniko's nest territory sometime today. Our thoughts remain with the community, the firefighters, and the condors. Thank you for the kind and caring messages. We will keep you updated.

Ventana Wildlife Soc 22 hours ago

A wildfire, known as the Dolan Fire, was spotted late on August 18 near the Condor Sanctuary in Big Sur, one of the key locations where Ventana Wildlife Society works to restore condors. Fortunately, we had prepared for this possibility by doing everything we could to protect structures. Thankfully, no staff are at risk and no condors are in holding pens at the site. The bad news is that condors frequent the area and nesting condors are currently at risk. We hold out hope for these resilient birds because they have survived fire in the past. In 2008, the Basin Complex Fire burned the Condor Sanctuary destroying two structures. The status of three wild chicks was unknown until biologists confirmed all miraculously survived. Here’s a video from 2008 of VWS biologists climbing a redwood nest seeing “Phoenix” for the first time after the fire. One of the chicks now threatened by the Dolan Fire is “Iniko” the chick named by the public and seen on Explore.org. Although we are concerned for the welfare of the chicks in nests unable to flee from the fire, a rescue attempt is impossible at this time. The risk to human safety is just too great to intervene. Our thoughts are with those affected by the wildfires and the efforts of firefighting crews. Since this is a rapidly changing situation, we will keep you posted.

Links: Condor Chick "Phoenix" survives fire
Explore.org Condor Cams
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The nest cam is up and the chick is safe at the moment. But smoke got thick by the sanctuary and the group of condors there left.

https://explore.org/livecams/condors/california-condor-sanctuary

https://explore.org/livecams/condors/california-condors-redwood-grove

Latest update:
Iniko Update- 11:20 AM PST August, 20, 2020

HI everyone, Iniko looks good. However, the fire has yet to burn through the nest area, so cross your fingers the flames come though low and slow and Iniko remains protected in the redwood nest cavity. Redwoods are highly fire resistant, so lets hope it protects our little friend. A fog layer moved in this morning so that should help slow the fire. We will likely lose connection once the fire gets close and burns through the camera cable. Send good thoughts!
That's scary as hell!

It's more of a 'when' not 'if'.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the nest cam last night until the fire got there and the camera went out about 11pm. It was awful. You could hear the fire crackling. At first we weren't sure, it could have been rain or something. But then slowly it got louder and louder and it was unmistakably fire. Finally you could see flames down below the nest. Then the camera went off.

Probably for the better we didn't have to watch if the chick were killed. But now we won't know until the sanctuary people can get in there on foot in several days. It's heartbreaking.

They kept the cam on at the sanctuary release cages until 3 or 4 in the morning. There were no animals in the cages. That's when the fire overran the hillside and took out the camera.

If any of you have any extra money you can
DONATE BY MAIL:
Ventana Wildlife Society, 9699 Blue Larkspur, Ste 105, ​Monterey, CA 93940

They are going to need money to to restore the equipment and sanctuary structures and to continue their efforts to prevent extinction of the California Condors.

I was amazed to read than Iniko's parents were both born in the LA zoo more than 20 years ago. I don't know if they have successfully raised any other chicks.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're all still hopeful, but won't know for a few more days. :e2bummed:

Another condor chick named Phoenix (named after) survived a similar fire. Oniko's name means born in troubled times.

I went looking to find out when Phoenix was named and found this promising story about another condor chick that fledged at the last minute due to an oncoming fire:
The Search and Recovery of Condor Chick 871, Wildfire Survivor
Even though the fire was intense, Brandt felt optimistic that Condor 871 had survived. In 2010, he presented data at an ornithology conference showing that since the reintroduction of condors in Southern California, wildfires had burned six active nests, and five of those chicks survived.

“These wildfires are something that condors are adapted to,” he said. “For as long as there have been condors, there have probably been wildfires in this part of California.”...

Less than a mile from the car, Seal Faith spotted two adult condors perched on a rocky ridge above the river. Nylon tags printed with large numbers identified them as 871’s parents. The chick couldn’t be far away now.

Seal Faith and Brandt scrambled onto a boulder above the river to look for the chick. They scanned the eastern side of the river, which had almost entirely escaped the fire, and Seal Faith pointed towards a black spot about 100 yards above the canyon floor. There, the chick—now a fledgling, and nearly as large as her parents—perched on a rocky ledge on the unburned side of the canyon.

She had survived the fire, though with slightly tattered feathers. Upon closer inspection, Brandt said the tips of her primary feathers looked like they had been singed. “It may be that the chick fledged right when the fire was burning most intensely,” he said. Otherwise, the fledgling appeared to be in good health. She stretched her wings, and hopped from one rock to another.

Everyone involved with the recovery program had been rooting for Condor 871, and they were thrilled to find her alive.

This is so hopeful!

California Condors have almost a 10 foot wingspan! That is so amazing. When Oniki was growing up she often looked like a dinosaur.

Here's a story about the chick that survived in the nest: Condors and Redwood Fire Management: Big Birds in Tall Trees
Just as repeated fires lead to cavity formation at the base of trees, related processes generate canopy cavities that provide a dry cliff-cave-like shelter. While only a small fraction of large old growth redwood have canopy cavities, these unusual fire features likely provided a unique habitat element along the California coast for millennia.

This is how few of these incredible birds there are:
By 1987, only 22 condors survived in the wild due to a century and a half of intensive poaching, poisoning by lead ammunition and habitat loss. Through government and private efforts, these survivors were removed from the wild and their numbers grew through a captive breeding program at the San Diego Wild Animal Park and the Los Angelos zoo. As of 2008, there were 332 alive, 156 of which have been released in California and Arizona.

The last video is of the chick being checked on after the fire and this is a story about that nest:
No one guessed that California condors would nest in a coast redwood canopy fire cavity. In 2008, one of these released birds decided to nest in one near Big Sur. As if this nesting event was not remarkable enough for redwood ecologists, the site where the nest tree occurred burned in a wildfire that year, and the chick survived.

I'm going to be hopeful until we find out.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How close were the condor chicks to flight? If they were fledged, and about to fly, I am hoping that the updraft of hot air from the fires might make their first desperate attempt more successful. They are, after all, designed to soar on warm updrafts.
Fingers crossed and a prayer said for the condors.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How close were the condor chicks to flight? If they were fledged, and about to fly, I am hoping that the updraft of hot air from the fires might make their first desperate attempt more successful. They are, after all, designed to soar on warm updrafts.
Fingers crossed and a prayer said for the condors.

Iniko was months away from being able to fly. I don't know about the chicks in the other nests. More amazing condor facts I never knew until I started watching this nest:

It takes 6 months from hatching to being ready to fledge. Iniko was ~four months old.