Seagull at Sunrise
4988211230_275c96b14b_c.jpg

Hummingbird
49128409678_ed717b50c2_c.jpg

Egret
49128409738_b5415e7926_c.jpg

Pelican
49128900771_d75d34bdc0_c.jpg

Falcon (Peregrine I think...been a while since I shot it :) )
49128409808_0392db1736_c.jpg

Help me out - what kind is this? :)
49128409848_7251c0d599_c.jpg

Golden Eagle
49129084857_3967a063cb_c.jpg

Hawk (though I forget which species)
49128410023_09466ff052_c.jpg

Snowy Egret
49129084967_394ff6d73b_c.jpg

In flight - so majestic!
49128901086_65c1f77e54_c.jpg

I love how my catchlight was caught in his/her eyes
49128410188_110bbb7982_c.jpg

Thanks for letting me share - these were sittin on a hard drive unshared with the world - I think my trigger finger is itching to get back into photography for some reason

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Such awesome photos! Thanks for bringing some life back to this thread. I miss it here.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Jason, on the previous page, you posted a couple of pics of a bird you thought might be a woodpecker. Looks to me like a Northern Flicker. They are classed with the woodpeckers and perch the same way, but they like foraging on the ground (lawns especially) even better.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'd recommend Chile as a birdwatching and botanising destination. We saw the most amazing birds, plants and scenery from the Atacama Desert and altiplano up near Peru to the Valdivian rainforests and Araucaria woodlands in the south. We didn't get as far as Tierra del Fuego -- but that's on the list for next time!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never get tired of looking at the pictures in this thread.

The hummers have fledged. But there's a new egg in the Decorah North eagles nest.
https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/decorah-eagles-north-nest

The egg has been hard to catch glimpses of (it's there, I saw it ;) ) but the cam operator is making up for it with lots of close ups of the eagles.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I visited Uganda a few weeks ago. (Go to Uganda. It is marvellous.)

Saw quite a few animals, including rhinos, giraffes, lots and lots of elephants and hippos, chimps, gorillas, crocodiles and so on. Our bird list included 351 species spotted and a few more heard. I thought you might like to see a handful of bird pics from the trip.

Pied kingfisher (male)
Giant kingfisher (female)
African finfoot (Lake Mburo)
Shoebill (Lake Victoria)
Red-throated Bee-eater (Victoria Nile)

Sorry. Those photos are of varying sizes.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo, that bee-eater is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The bee-eaters were in a colony on the banks of the Victoria Nile below Murchison Falls. (I never ever thought I would be typing a sentence like this.) Their distribution is a broad band across equatorial Africa; western Uganda is their eastern limit.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The bee-eaters were in a colony on the banks of the Victoria Nile below Murchison Falls....
(I never ever thought I would be typing a sentence like this.) Their distribution is a broad band across equatorial Africa; western Uganda is their eastern limit.[/QUOTE]

Well, now that you have, I'll say this - sounds like the start of a book :)

The bee-eaters were in a colony on the banks of the Victoria Nile below Murchison Falls....I opened my ruck sack and chewed on some dried jerky as I contemplated my next move.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Thank you! I'd love to go back, but I don't think that'll be happening for a while. (If ever.) Absolutely amazing place -- the people, the animals, the scenery. Also the food!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a few months, BUT...I have photo updates :)

After the move to TN last year, then the holidays, and most recently the COVID pandemic, I've finally settled into something of a routine while working from home, and have my birdfeeder in place. A tube feeder, suet feeder, tray feeder, and water bowl have attracted some nice ones with just safflower seeds. I put out some black sunflower seeds tonight, and will see how these do before ordering some nyjers.

You know those HGTV folks that say "I could see myself drinking my morning coffee out here"? I'm lucky to say that I DO enjoy my morning coffee to these beauties nearly every morning and evening!

50146417946_4347c8fcb1_z.jpg

50145873603_350cd16514_z.jpg

50146656312_00a9190ca0_z.jpg

50146417916_cf35d77a8c_z.jpg

50145873613_02173904af_z.jpg

50145873628_8421f50b76_z.jpg

50145873558_7c25c345be_z.jpg

The hummingbird is the lone exception - that was at my folks place in NC as I've not really found a place suitable for a hummingbird feeder yet. Probably next season though...

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those are really cool, Jason. I will make an attempt to post the pics my brother has been sending me of the birds on his patio. He has a dove that has hatched fledges three times this season, a hawk that eyes them from the fence but can't get to them and a great white egret that landed in his yard for some reason, maybe to catch the lizard they found there. He's in California a mile from Disneyland.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Nice pictures, Jason. I love cardinals. It was fun watching them come to my yard when I lived in Northern NY.

We get some cool birds here occasionally, including a swarm of cedar waxwings I got a very grainy video of through my screen. I need to spend more time in our yard with my camera, but I'm so darned impatient.

Anyone here play the board game Wingspan? It's about birds, and it's fun.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of Wingspan, Roxxsmom, so thanks for the heads up. It looks so pretty! Do you play?

Nice photos, Jason. You've got most of my Virginia yard regulars up there (missing the ever-present Grackles and Starlings). This year my one oddity is a Red-Winged Blackbird - they're a fairly common bird in our area, but my backyard is not their favored habitat and this is the first time I've had a pair nesting somewhere nearby. Recently a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers have been coming in for peanuts, as well as a flock of Fish Crows that descend on the yard to sit on the bird bath and have loud conversations.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
A bird thread...

I love your pics, Jason. Lots of good memories of east coast birds. I live in apartment with no patio/balcony/outdoor place for feeders which is very sad :( At my other apartments I would get lots of house and gold finches along with mourning doves. The city I live in now is home to a colony of crows; there's a ton of juvies running around since it's that time of year, but they don't seem to be as wary of humans as they have in prior years since so few people are out during the lockdown. Can't wait for the colony to come back together and everyone on Nextdoor to ask why we're living in a Hitchcock movie (every year! This happens!).

I do see a lot of this guy, though.